Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Sweet Maria's Samplers
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Sweet Maria's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ErikP

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 3:31pm
Subject: Sweet Maria's Samplers

So are these good deals or not?  Seems like the first sample pack I got, while the coffee was good, included several coffees that weren't being listed for sale on the site.  Are they using the samplers to dump sub par beans or are the beans representative of the quality of the listed beans?
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 8:19pm
Subject: Re: Sweet Maria's Samplers

Welcome to the forum ...!!

If you browse through Sweet Maria's catalog of green beans you will find ...there's a lot.

Once you get into roasting you will wonder which beans you should be getting.  How to know what you like?  Well,
by buying samplers. I have roasted through hundreds of pounds and I still buy samplers.

I usually buy 2 lb samplers.  Because of my usage and I roast 10 oz at a time and can get 3 roasts out of (roughly) 2 lbs.

There is no evidence that Sweet Maria's uses 'samplers' to dispose of 'ends of bags'.  Actually, the opposite is true.  My biggest problem is that when I find a sampler that appeals to me and try to place (say) a 10 lb order they have already sold it out.

Jerry
ErikP

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 9:31pm

You are definitely correct - I am wondering which beans to buy out of a very large list.

That is why I tried the first (8#) sampler, and was thinking of ordering another.  Just wondered what the general feeling was on the quality of the sampler beans was relative to the long list of available coffees.

Didn't want to keep buying samplers if the consensus of experienced roasters was that the samplers were generally of lesser quality.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease on that issue.

I will order more samplers!

Thanks
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:59pm

I've been sorta hit and miss with the samplers... One thing I've noticed is that it's hard to get everything dialed in with a one pound sample size. By the time I dial in a good roast, and I get the grinder all dialed in for the bean I roasted, the 1# is gone.

It's funny because I wasn't really impressed with their Monkey blend which is a regular blend for them, but some of the ones with names I'll never remember were pretty good.

I got my 8# sample for free when I bought a Behmor so I can't complain. However once that's all gone, I'll likely go back to my local source who has a Malabar I really love.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 10:39am

I guess we'll find out. I just ordered their 8lb espresso sampler.
MikeWI

Espresso: Old Krupp mini
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Moka Pot
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 5:59pm

Just make sure you take notes!  I bought that same sampler and there were a few that got a "wow" reaction from me, but then I forgot to write down the name.  Every time.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat Nov 9, 2013, 4:27am

MikeWI Said:

Just make sure you take notes!  I bought that same sampler and there were a few that got a "wow" reaction from me, but then I forgot to write down the name.  Every time.

Posted November 8, 2013 link

Will do! :)
russ5679

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 3:15pm

Almost all I order now is the 8lb samplers.  I don't really have a favorite region or anything, and I love the variety that comes with the sampler.  It works perfect for me.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Sweet Maria's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281629800797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+