Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Freshest Coffee Ever
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Freshest Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ronpistolero

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Anita by Quickmill
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless Doserred,...
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:40pm
Subject: Freshest Coffee Ever

If this machine hits big in the market, then that means a lot have not been paying attention to the countless articles on post roast "resting" of the coffee beans; or have totally misinterpreted the meaning of freshness in the coffee world :-) .... Click Here (techcrunch.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:43am
Subject: Re: Freshest Coffee Ever

It's pretty obvious the promoter of this machine doesn't know beans about coffee roasting as most every coffee requires a period of rest after roasting, normally a minimum of a day at the very least, and often longer.  The other weird issue in this presentation is the offer to facilitate access to green coffee beans directly from the farmer.   Most likely, offering green beans for their system at premium prices if they do succeed at finding buyers to purchase their machine.

Click Here (en.wikipedia.org)

Ken
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:58am

This machine suggests to offer an enhanced quality that simply isn't there by promoting super freshness. Only people who know diddly-squat about coffee will fall for that. After all, optimal roasting of coffee beans requires practical skills as well as experience and the right equipment. Different beans require different roasting profiles to develop their aromas. And of course, beans not only need to cool after roasting, but also to rest in order to reach their aromatic peak. This coffee maker can't provide any of that. Apart from that, 12-14 minutes from roasting to drink leaves only a few minutes for roasting, which must mean roasting at very high temperatures. Nothing good can come out of that.

The Bonaverde is bulls*#%. But I'm sure some people will buy it. Probably the same people who believe that Nespresso is the pinnacle of espresso.

You might as well drink wine right after primary fermentation, which brings me to my latest business idea: Who needs vintages? The Bonagulp is a machine that crushes grapes, mixes the juice with yeast, and after a few days you can tap the freshest wine ever. Taste and enjoy! All I need is someone who's willing take the risk to back me up with a few million dollars to develop the Bonagulp and bring it to marketability. I'm sure it would be a great investment.

By the way, here the first conceptual design. ;-D

NobbyR: Bonagulp.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:38am

Cool idea in theory, stupid idea in real life.... obviously these people know nothing about coffee. Ever tasted just roasted coffee that's brewed, pretty gross. Coffee needs to gass off.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 7:07am

Yup.. Something like this could be done.  I
Just place a Behmor over a superauto and boom! :)

This is what I want. :p

The Kado machine
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 12:12pm

Since my favorite thing about my addition to coffee is roasting it, I can't believe this product will actually produce anything close to a good cup of coffee. Maybe they could include a degassing chamber of some sort to artificially age the beans.

They are asking for your money, so why don't they ask for Green Mountains money, maybe because it's a bad idea?
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 12:20pm

Degassing and rest period are the least of the problems it has, IMO. A 4 minute roast time? No thanks. I'll just have a half grapefruit and call it a rub.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 2:55pm

Take the concept a step or two further. Same process, but in a large vending machine. Machine sets up with preroasted coffee in a source drum, person buys a cup of coffee, a 16oz protion of green beans goes into the roasting chamber. While the beans roast, preroasted beans go to the grinder from the source drum. then brews the cup. The roasted beans when done will go into the source drum and replace what was just grounded, this is really a super-auto brewer. A busy machine could keep up with volume if the green storage is large enough.
wcmocha
wcmocha

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 10:21pm

They must barely hit first crack, because after that you lose the buttered popcorn smell and it's not something you want to vent in the house.  There also can't be a very good grinder in there at that price range which is far more important than shaving a few days off the age of the beans.

I'll give them props for doing something from the Green Hornet.  Just seems more a gimmick than practical to me.
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 1:19pm

I have to admit, I'm kinda excited about this.

It looks like they've modified their design so that one can removed the roasted coffee and allow it to rest and degas.

Having never roasted before, is the lack of adjustability in the roasting portion that much of a deal breaker?  Could one just buy beans that are optimized for their roast time and temp?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Freshest Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314319849014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+