Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
temporary roasting solution
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > temporary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tonini

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 4:07pm
Subject: temporary roasting solution

After my posts and constant reading no doubt the huky 500 is the way to go. Like stated in my thread " Your Experience With The Huky 500", where I will move to in the next 6 months is still up for debate. The huky will be the long term goal and will come but for now I need a temporary fix. In case you didn't read my thread, the problem for me is if I move into an apartment the gas roaster route cannot work. I was hoping to find comfort in going to a behomor or less but i fear the lack of control. The hottop is what I was thinking about but how do they resell? Do they resell well? I don't see many on this thread but one in the for sale section not getting any comments. If I go smaller than a behmor it would be like a fresh roast 500 or something. Thoughts please!
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 8:57am
Subject: Re: temporary roasting solution

Clean HTs hold their value and resell well.  

An HT set up right is a very powerful tool, more sophisticated and home-friendly than a Huky, and with better cooling too.  With a little bit of modding and some software the HT is capable of a great deal more sophistication.  An HT "B", with two probes, Artisan and TC/4 offers a LOT of control, relative to the Huky.  I hear the new version of Artisan, 0.7, combined with a Phidget, is supposed to be even better.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jerry43

Espresso: Carisma
Grinder: Virtuoso, HG-One
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 1:19pm

I started with the Fresh Roast, then the Behmor, and now a Huky I bought last month.  The FR was a valuable learning tool for me as I could easily associate the roast odors and color of the beans. Moved on to the Behmor to get more capacity and a chance to see what other flavors I could get out of my favorite beans. However I was disappointed in the cooling especially roasting outside on the porch in 90 degree temps. Anticipating how much more it would roast and hitting the cool button at the right time was a pain. I only used the Behmor a few months before I decided to go with the full manual Huky.

So far I have been pleased with the results. I'm getting into roasting for espresso and the Huky lets me roast darker than the Behmor can safely do. The biggest drawback is making time for a roast. I don't have a dedicated spot to leave it set up and vented to the outside. So getting it all setup and warmed up, then roast, then wait for it to cool off to put away to keep the wife happy makes for an extended but fun filled roast. As for the actual roasting with the Huky, I find using a Variac to control the fan speed and keeping air running all the time works best with the solid drum for me. Stock lpg heater works fine with 250g batches.
tonini

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 5:59pm

This solves that battle. I must do hottop, I mostly enjoy my espresso. I drink french press at work but that is desperation for me. I realize French Press is a beautiful method in coffee but I just enjoy my espresso much more. Now the battle is automatic vs manual. With my first reply, I see that if I choose to do so I can turn my hottop in to one hell of a roaster.
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 9:03pm

I'm not so sure I agree that the Hottop cools better than the Huky. Huky beans are cold to the touch in about two minutes- not just cooled down but actually cold. I also don't see why people think the IR stove the Huky comes with (if you choose) isn't powerful enough. With a little fan use I think I could bring a pound to charcoal in less than ten minutes, probably more like 6. My first roast the beans were dry in under 3 (oops) and that was at less than half power. I've been doing one pound roasts from the beginning and there's never been a point where I needed more heat than what the stove could put out. Not close even.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > temporary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42332482338)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+