Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Rk Drum Setup
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Rawman
Rawman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sun Oct 31, 2004, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: New Rk Drum Setup

1  1-1228                3/8" L-050 LOVEJOY HALF                      2.19
1  1-1229                1/2" L-050 LOVEJOY HALF                      2.19
1  5-1183                57 RPM 115 VAC JAPAN SERR                   21.95
1  1-1231                BUNA-N INSERT FOR L-050 NG                   1.40
1  1-2334                7/16" L-050 LOVEJOY HALF                     2.19

That's the motor setup and lovejoys.  I thought the question was about the spit though.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
x

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2004, 10:58pm

Hello,

My dream is to be able to measure bean temperature.  I'm curious how they actually measure bean temps in a Diedrich?  Anyone know?

The topic of motors for bbq grils came up a while back on the ALT.Coffee
Andy went so far as to calculate what speed the motor would have to turn to stick the beans to the side of the drum. The 57 RPM motor seems to be widely accepted, I found I got a more even roast and yes now that you mention it I did need to turn the gas down just a bit.

I have snooped around on both the Buzz and RK websites and forums. I would like some recommendations as to which grill and which rotisserie motor to use, but strangely enough, there is zero info on both sites. I would think there would be some good opinions out there (case in point: Jason at the Coffee Emergency told me that he had to modify the gas valve on his grill to allow for more BTU's. I would like to avoid that if possible...).

I think the grill you choose is not all that important. I bought a used one with a new bottle for $35. I posted about this before. I believe one of the best modifications you can make is take your 2 burner grill and replace it with a single burner single burner. From my experience it is difficult if not nearly impossible to accurately adjust both burners. Try looking with a remote IR thermo and the temps are always off side to side. I tried using tick marks on the dials etc. etc. Never could come that close, sometimes off 20 degrees side to side.
A replacement single burner is about $30 bucks eliminates many headaches and will give a noticably more even roast.
As to more BTU's its not so much a burner issue as an orfice issue. A decent propane shop can enlarge the orfice safely to give a reasonable
increase in BTU's if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Used grill, replacement single burner, 57RPM motor, RK or Buzz, decent thermo and you are in cheap and you are in good.
You can now focus all your waking hours for the rest of you life learning the finer point of coffee roasting and die knowing you still have alot to learn

Loring
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
x

Posted Fri Nov 5, 2004, 11:16pm

Hello,

As for the rotisserie, you'll want the deluxe model which has a 1 piece spit - other kits have a 2 piece spit that fastens together in the middle.  The 1 piece spit should be stronger than the 2 piece, in theory.

Consider dumping the whole bbq spit rod thingy and buy a piece of 1/2" allthread, 4 nuts and 4 washers attach it through the drum and the lovejoy or whatever brand you buy will offer a 1/2' diameter coupler to attach to the rod.
Overkill strong and much cheaper.
I have a Buzzroaster and was a bit disapointed in  the wire clamp setup
used to attach the drum to the rod. I don't know how the RK handles this little bit of mechanical engineering.

Loring
FXDXT
FXDXT
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid
Vac Pot: Sunbean
Drip: Vac: Royal Balance Brewer
Roaster: RK Drum Roaster/Hottop
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 7:08am

Here is a link with pictures of the RK drum set up for the shaft. click here

Tom
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 7:29am

Tom,

Your pics are much better than the ones on the RK Drum site.  Ron should use your snaps because they really show off the drum much better.

I like the idea of an alternative to the spit rod that come with kits.   It's a shame to have to buy a rotisserie kit just to get a rod and dump the motor.  So for the 1/2" threaded rod, are you recommending a particular type of metal (stainless, etc)?   Where would someone purchase 1/2" rod in stainless or is it too pricey?

Rick
FXDXT
FXDXT

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid
Vac Pot: Sunbean
Drip: Vac: Royal Balance Brewer
Roaster: RK Drum Roaster/Hottop
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 7:43am

The picture shows the rotisserie kit rod.
I went out and bought a Weber Genesis Gold C for the sole purpose of roasting coffee and they threw in the rotisserie kit. Of course the wife had other ideas. So now I have two sets of flavor bars, One for roasting and one for BBQ.

Tom
x

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 10:07am

Hello,

I like the idea of an alternative to the spit rod that come with kits.   It's a shame to have to buy a rotisserie kit just to get a rod and dump the motor.  So for the 1/2" threaded rod, are you recommending a particular type of metal (stainless, etc)?   Where would someone purchase 1/2" rod in stainless or is it too pricey?

I used generic allthread available at most any hardware store. I believe it is galvanized. I have noticed no problems. If it bothers you I guess you could locate stainless, I don't think it is necessary for trouble or expense.

In defense of the folks that build the roasting drums I see a physical problem that would arise in shipping if a rod were sent with the drum.
The rods are pretty long and would make packing and shipping more difficult
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 10:33am

x Said:

If it bothers you I guess you could locate stainless, I don't think it is necessary for trouble or expense.

Posted November 6, 2004 link

Nope, doesn't bother me at all...I was simply asking since I've read comments suggesting to avoid certain types of materials (when heated) that give off gasses that are supposed to toxic.  I thought the two materials that people suggested to avoid were zinc and galvanized which is common to home-center threaded rod.  I'm no expert on these materials, just asking based upon what I've read when people talk about home-built coffee roasters.

Rick
poison
poison

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 11:09am

Gasses are one thing, but with the RK drum, the beans never touch the spit: it runs through a square steel tube inside the drum.

The drum is attached to the spit by two collars with allen head screws, very nice. I think I may drill a small indentation to where the screw grips the spit so it can catch better.

Nate
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 11:36am

I was warned by everyone at the hardware store (and a few people here)  that you should not use galvanized or zinc at temps like will be in the  grill.  Check Here: "RK Drum Newbie".   I used a 3/8 stainless steel threaded rod and 3/8 stainless steel eye bolt connected with a stainless steel connecting nut.  All of the nuts and washers in my setup are stainless steel.  Here is a post with a link to my setup:  "Rawman's Buzzroast setup"

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327708005905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+