Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Rk Drum Setup
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 11:45am
Subject: Re: New Rk Drum Setup

Question: Where do you get the spit support thing for the non-motor side of the grill? Does the spit just rest in there?

Nate
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
x

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 2:37pm

Hello,
It is real interesting to see how each of us goes about building more or less the same idea. Here is a picture of my roaster with buzzdrum, 1/2" zinc or galvinized allthread 57 RPM motor and little TC thermo.
Loring

x: roaster6.jpg
(Click for larger image)
x

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 2:44pm

Hello,
It is real interesting to see how each of us goes about building more or less the same idea.  Here is a picture of my bean cooler. Total cost of this little jewel was $0.00  Base is old printerstand, blower is a dual squirrel cage fan from the bottom of a electronics cabinet, frame is scrap plywood and collander was stolen from my wife's kitchen.
Loring

x: beancooler2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 7:56pm

poison Said:

Question: Where do you get the spit support thing for the non-motor side of the grill? Does the spit just rest in there?

Nate

Posted November 6, 2004 link

I got that piece out of my old rotisserie kit.  I threaded a socket onto a nut and used other bolts to hold it in place..  The socket rests in the old rotisserie bracket and spins.  Sometimes it squeaks so I put a little pam or cooking oil and it stops.  You should be able to just make a bracket out of material found at a local hardware store.  Just a simple bracket that bolts on to the grill should work. Here is a closeup picture  The longer nut seen in this picture is the stainless steel connecting nut that holds the eye bolt to the threaded rod.  If your grill has indentations on the bottom for the rotisserie, then you may not need any bracket at all.  Just stick a socket where it needs to ride, and bolt it together.  My indentations for the rotisserie were on the top part, so that wouldn't have worked for me.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 8:37pm

Rawman Said:

Sometimes it squeaks so I put a little pam or cooking oil and it stops.

I had the same annoying squeak with my setup. I picked up a can of high temperature food save silicon spray at Ace Hardware. It does a pretty good job of silencing the squeak.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
poison
poison

Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 12:06pm

Rawman Said:

I got that piece out of my old rotisserie kit.  I threaded a socket onto a nut and used other bolts to hold it in place..  The socket rests in the old rotisserie bracket and spins.  Sometimes it squeaks so I put a little pam or cooking oil and it stops.  You should be able to just make a bracket out of material found at a local hardware store.  Just a simple bracket that bolts on to the grill should work. Here is a closeup picture  The longer nut seen in this picture is the stainless steel connecting nut that holds the eye bolt to the threaded rod.  If your grill has indentations on the bottom for the rotisserie, then you may not need any bracket at all.  Just stick a socket where it needs to ride, and bolt it together.  My indentations for the rotisserie were on the top part, so that wouldn't have worked for me.

Thanks! I ended up doing just that, though I'm kinda pissed at the waste of money: I bought the rotisserie kit. I needed the spit and the support bracket, and am short on time and tired of futzing around, so whatever. Anyone need a 6rpm rotisserie motor?

Another question: why does it seem that everyone has the motor on the right of the grill? Is everyone a lefty? It seems to me to be easier to have it on the left with the basket door on the left so you grab the wooden handle on the non-motor side with your strong right hand, undo the door with your left, and have your strong hand do more of the work.

Am I nuts?

Nate
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 3:32pm

poison Said:

Another question: why does it seem that everyone has the motor on the right of the grill?

Posted November 8, 2004 link

In my case (and probably others), the right side is where I have a flat surface to mount the motor.  The left side of my grill has an auxillary burner.

Rick

grillroaster: Alpen-grill 4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
poison
poison

Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 4:27pm

That makes sense! Thanks!

Nate
FXDXT
FXDXT

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid
Vac Pot: Sunbean
Drip: Vac: Royal Balance Brewer
Roaster: RK Drum Roaster/Hottop
Posted Mon Nov 8, 2004, 8:34pm

A left sided set up

Tom

FXDXT: _DSC1013CG.jpg
(Click for larger image)
drsmith

Espresso: Mr Coffee
Grinder: Crank by hand
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hearthware prec.; Whirley...
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 10:37am

poison Said:

Another question: why does it seem that everyone has the motor on the right of the grill? Is everyone a lefty? It seems to me to be easier to have it on the left with the basket door on the left so you grab the wooden handle on the non-motor side with your strong right hand, undo the door with your left, and have your strong hand do more of the work.

Am I nuts?

Posted November 8, 2004 link

I have the spare burner on the right side of my grill, so I put the motor on the left.  I suppose I could have done it either way, but it just seemed more natural to do it the way you've suggested.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357687950134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+