Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Just ordered a Behmor - anyone have easy profiles to get me started?
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Just ordered a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JWK

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: OE Pharos
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 2:14pm
Subject: Just ordered a Behmor - anyone have easy profiles to get me started?

My Behmor is supposed to get here on Friday 12/20, the same day our daughter and grandson are coming in to spend Christmas week with us.  She is a HUGE coffee lover.  Of course I got the 8 lb. sampler pack and I know my daughter ordered another various 6 lbs. of central american beans for me, also from Sweet Maria's ( I'm not supposed to know).

We tend to like central american coffees with the full body, lower acidity and love chocolate tones.  I know that's kind of boring, but oh well.  However, we do like all good coffee.  I guess I'm looking for some advice on what type of bean from the sampler would be the easiest to start with and what kind of roast to try for fairly foolproof results.  My strategy is to roast 8 oz. batches to keep us in fresh coffee while she's here.

Thanks for any help and advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 3:44pm
Subject: Re: Just ordered a Behmor - anyone have easy profiles to get me started?

Congrats on the roaster. Not sure what  SM has in their sampler these days, but if you like more roast tones like chocolate and caramels try starting with a full city roast. Just a few tips to help you along the way. Be sure to do a dry burn before your 1st roast to get rid of any oils that might be left in your machine from machine production. Make sure to pre heat your roaster for 1:30 to 2 min with the chaff tray in before starting your roast. Don't take the preheat past 2min though or else you will have to wait for the machine to cool down due to safty features. The preheat does help give the coffee a more robust fuller flavor. have a pen and paper handy to take note when 1st crack starts for future roast of the same bean.  Once you get a few roast under your belt there are ways to manipulate the roaster to prolong bean development but we will save that for another time or do a search on behmor tips and tricks. "I don't want to over whelm you with info". If you don't mind cleaning up some chaff it is best to open the door after 2min. when cooling . Beans that cool faster tend to produce a sweeter flavor profile. Let roasted beans rest for at least 24 hours to degass and mellow out some of it's brightness.
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:36am
Subject: Re: Just ordered a Behmor - anyone have easy profiles to get me started?

Congrats on the roaster, I have no doubt it will serve you well.

This might sound like a no brainer, but read the manual. Seriously. It's got a bunch of good information about tips and maintenance for the roaster. It also suggests that you do a few 1/4lbs P1 roasts for starters. Even if you know roasting, unless you've used a 1600 before, I recommend it. Firstly it'll give you an idea of how the roaster acts and how the beans react. It also gives the roaster a chance to have everything cure before you start expecting repeatability. You can go hog wild with the tricks if you want, but I find it gives you a good baseline before you really start to experiment.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 2:50pm

JWK Said:

We tend to like central american coffees with the full body, lower acidity and love chocolate tones.  I know that's kind of boring, but oh well.  However, we do like all good coffee.  I guess I'm looking for some advice on what type of bean from the sampler would be the easiest to start with and what kind of roast to try for fairly foolproof results.  My strategy is to roast 8 oz. batches to keep us in fresh coffee while she's here.

Posted December 15, 2013 link

I also like 'full-body' and 'low acidity'.  While many coffees are supposed to have other flavours such as fruits, caramels and chocolates, I want my coffee to taste like …traditional... coffee.  

I can pass along this tip:

I buy 2 lb samplers and do 10 oz roasts, which net out around 8.3 oz (half a pound).  And I get more or less 3 roasts out of a 2 lb sampler:  one 'ranging-shot' and 2 good roasts for evaluation.  And at my usage, half a lb lasts me around 10 days.  And coffee is at its best over a 2-week interval, after 3 days rest.

Your usage might be different but …the 10 oz batch size might be right for you too.

Jerry
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 7:20am

Another tip Since your new to roasting , the 1 thing I tend to do with new varitals I'm roasting is to pull a shot at different intervals durring the resting process but always after 24hrs. It's amazing how much the flavor profile changes durring degassing. it helps you understand the degassing process and find the sweet spot of a beans flavor profile. I roast mainly for espresso and the sweet spot tends to be between 5 to 7 days rest with most varitals .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Just ordered a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243389129639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+