Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Wired article: 6 Home Coffee Roasting Methods Tested
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wired article: 6...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 10:08am
Subject: Re: Wired article: 6 Home Coffee Roasting Methods Tested

kboom1 Said:

Quoted from the article: To get a city roast level the roast I was shooting for in all of these tests I pressed the cool button as soon as I heard first crack happen.

Posted December 15, 2013 link

That was in reference to the Behmor.  The point is that the Behmor has a lousy cooling scheme and roast development continues for awhile after the cool button is pressed.  In other words, you have to anticipate the desired level of finish and press "Cool" well before the beans are there.  Let me illustrate by quoting the same section, but including enough context for unambiguous clarity:

... Behmor wants you to let the beans cool inside the oven. Because of this, I had to make sure that I was pressing the "cool" button ... earlier than I wanted ... It stays hot inside the roaster for a while after you hit the button. To get a city roast level the roast I was shooting for in all of these tests I pressed the cool button as soon as I heard first crack happen. Even with the cooling fan turned on, I could hear the beans continue to crack as they cooled.

(Emphases added.)

The Behmor is a decent roaster especially for the money, a monster step up from anything cheaper, brings all kinds of good stuff to the table, makes thousands of users very happy, et cetera, et cetera.  But it's far from perfect.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:56pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

"Hey Charles, do you wish to have some Bonaverde fresh roasted coffee with your Scotch, neat?"

"Yes, Hubert.  That would be exquisite.  What a perfect pairing.  So did you hear about Robert's new Chateau?  Can you believe he paid 5 millies for it?"

ROFL!

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:34pm

A predictable outcome and the message is clear:

Don't try this at home kids, leave it to the professionals.

Coffee roasting is not really a kitchen appliance application mainly for the smoke. Maybe outside with the BBQ.

And, really...., a City roast is the most difficult to do well; it is a narrow tightrope between under-developed and stall during the finish.  Even accomplished roasters with pro equipment will be on toes to do it well.

There is a reason why a few of us still roast with 'tricked out' poppers, HG/BM, and various home made roasters, and would not consider Behmor an upgrade at all; Process Control.  For ease and convenience, yes, but for roast quality and flexibility,  no way.
 View Profile Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 7:23am

Frost Said:

Coffee roasting is not really a kitchen appliance application mainly for the smoke. Maybe outside with the BBQ.

And, really...., a City roast is the most difficult to do well; it is a narrow tightrope between under-developed and stall during the finish.  Even accomplished roasters with pro equipment will be on toes to do it well.

There is a reason why a few of us still roast with 'tricked out' poppers, HG/BM, and various home made roasters, and would not consider Behmor an upgrade at all; Process Control.  For ease and convenience, yes, but for roast quality and flexibility,  no way.

+1

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 8:08am

Frost Said:

+2

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 1:32pm

I think the only thing that surpirsed me about the review of the Behmor is that the reviewers husband cut his hand on the fins inside the drum. I've handled the drum extensively (and had my mitts inside of it) over the past few months, I've never cut myself on it.

And personally I prefer my Behmor over my old modified popper, but that's my preference. Even having to trick the machine to get the desired results, I still enjoy roasting with it more.
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 4:19pm

dana_leighton Said:

... Too bad there was no air popper method included.

There was! When I read the description of the $170 FreshRoast SR500 I immediately thought, "Hey! That's exactly like my $6 Presto Poplite!" And it was ranked #2, behind the Hottop!

Of course, you pay a little extra for having actual controls & a chaff catcher on the SR500 ....
(Even with the controls on the SR500, I was surprised that the roasting time was so close to my Poplite!)

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:23pm

As a noob home roaster and a recent owner of a behemor, I immediately feel the lack of flexibility and lack of control over process. I quickly learn the ideosychracies though and have yet to have a stew come out of it. I like the volume that I can do and the coffee has been excellent. 4 oz at  a time with the popper was annoying, but the coffee was great.

The article is fin enough...
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wired article: 6...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355741977692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+