Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
For your consideration - another coffee professional tells us not to home roast
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > For your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Fireweed

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 1:41pm
Subject: For your consideration - another coffee professional tells us not to home roast

Found this link because of Mark's rants on twitter this morning. I can see why he's upset.

Click Here (drinks.seriouseats.com)

Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 2:00pm
Subject: Re: For your consideration - another coffee

Here is quite a gem from the article:

"Can't you just take that big German roaster design and just shrink it down to a 1-pound home roaster size? Well, try that with the giant 1000-degree oven from that popular Neapolitan pizza place in town. Can you shrink that down to toaster oven size?"

WOW!  What an outrageously inaccurate analogy!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: For your consideration - another coffee

Well I think that we (meaning those who read/post here) aren't the intended demographic. It's my hobby, I enjoy it and I get to drink the results!

The first thing I tell people when they ask me if they should homeroast is "It can be messy, it smells bad and you're probably not going to get anything close to drinkable for at least the first few attempts." That dissuades 95% of people I know. The other 5% end up asking a dozen extra questions on my experiences. So far no one has asked me to show them how or for me to help.

It's also an opinion piece written by a professional roaster, so I'd take the article with a grain of salt as well.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 2:23pm
Subject: For your consideration - another coffee professional tells us not to home roast

The payoff for the trouble simply isn't worth it, especially when it's so easy to find coffee that fits your palate. Because of the smoke, it's a messy proposition, best performed in a screened-in porch or garage. A high-quality result requires a pretty significant equipment investment... which sounds suspiciously similar to performing an appendectomy!

1. No, it is not easy to find coffee that fits my palate.  Freshly roasted is impossible to find in supermarkets.  Where I can find it (in specialty shops around the city) it costs twice as much as what I can produce at my home in 20 minutes-- not to mention that I must go out of my way to get to these shops.
  2. Smoke?  Deal with it.  Open a window.  Get a fan.  We're not roasting 20lbs at a time here, so these suffice.
  3. Significant investment?  How is it worse than an old-car aficionado or a sports memorabilia collector?  Let's see, thousands of dollars, setting aside the space for display.  Except for me it is hundreds, not thousands of dollars, and no display space.

Anyway, although he says that "No. You should not roast coffee at home", much of the tone in his article is ambivalent.  For example, his commentary on Sweet Marias:

Pretty much the Amazon.com of home coffee roasting. Find your roasting equipment and green coffee here, and delve into the infamous cacophony that is the Sweet Maria's Library, one of the best coffee informational resources you'll find anywhere. They sell Behmor, Gene Cafe, and HotTop roasting machines, any of which are a great choice.

Does that sound negative?

Donald Varona
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 3:18pm
Subject: Re: For your consideration - another coffee professional tells us not to home ro

Fireweed Said:

Found this link because of Mark's rants on twitter this morning. I can see why he's upset.

Click Here (drinks.seriouseats.com)

Rick.

Posted December 18, 2013 link

Why is Markie Nickie upset? are we eating into his profit?

EDIT: Sorry.  Erroneously attributed the article to Mark instead of Nick Cho.  Reading is fundamental.
Fireweed

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 6:10pm
Subject: Re: For your consideration - another coffee professional tells us not to home ro

rmongiovi Said:

Why is Markie upset? are we eating into his profit?

Explain your comment please, I think I'm missing something.

Mark on Twitter this morning was pointing out that sometimes pros have their own viewpoints and biases based on their professional experience and situations, and shouldn't be preaching to consumers about what they should and shouldn't do with coffee in the home, especially when they don't have experience with these things in the home. Are you implying something different?

Rick
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 6:19pm

rmongiovi Said:

Why is Markie upset? are we eating into his profit?

Yeah I'd like an explanation too please. What profit of mine are you referring to?

-M

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 6:39pm

All I had to do was read the by-line, and I knew it wasn't worth the electrostatic charge it was written on.

Nick Cho

'nuff said.

Professional coffee pundit. ... Aspiring to be the Starbucks of non-Starbucks coffee professionals.

Yup, sounds about right for Nick. Good luck with that.

For some background: Click here to go to an examiner.com article behind a very obnoxious ad-based  paywall.

Cho is no coffee luminary. He's long been known more for his big mouth than for his coffee credentials.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 7:39pm

I could nit pick the article if I wanted to spend waste the time, but taking off my "home roasting hat" it read more like a fluff piece that paid by the word.
He did ask, "Can't you just take that big German roaster design and just shrink it down to a 1-pound home roaster size?" I just roasted 360 grams this afternoon in what could very well be described as just that, so for me, the answer to that question is, "Yes, Nick. You can!" As a matter of fact, there is a 2.2 pounder somewhere in my future.

And if you are reading this, Nick, we do bake our own bread, we make our own kimchi, we make our own Sauerkraut, pesto sauce, refried beans, hummus, cookies, grind our own wheat, make amazing pizza from scratch,  and more. All from scratch. And, yes, we even grew our basil for the pesto this year. There are plenty of folks who care enough about their food to roast their own coffee as well.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:46pm

MarkPrince Said:

Yeah I'd like an explanation too please. What profit of mine are you referring to?

-M

Just being snarky.  It doesn't seem to me that it's any business of anyone's, except for the person in question, to decide if they should or shouldn't do something like home roasting.  Pointing out the pros and cons is useful information and could help the uninitiated come to a conclusion.  But when someone purports to make that decision for me my automatic question is "what's in it for them?"  Call me naturally motivated to question why someone tries to tell me what to do.  Product of my Catholic upbringing, I suppose.

But I must apologize for aiming my comment at Mark.  I failed to pay attention to byline of the article I read and assigned it to Mark because the OP mentioned "Mark's rants" and included a link.  My initial comment in this post was intended for the author of that article, not Mark.  Mea maxima culpa.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > For your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316376924515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+