Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Joining a Behmor 1600 Roaster To A BBQ Guru CyberQ with Power Raptor.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Joining a Behmor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Maotoying
Maotoying
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Dream
Grinder: Mini Mazzer (man)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 5:44pm
Subject: Joining a Behmor 1600 Roaster To A BBQ Guru CyberQ with Power Raptor.

I have two obsessions with edibles:
  1. espresso,
  2. smoking

Smoking occurs at lower temperature, and usually for longer duration, than BBQ.

For Winter solstice dinner, I smoked two pork butts for ten hours at about 225 F. I was able to control the temperature profile precisely to my liking with my BBQ Guru and my Smoking Tex electric smoker. The electric smoker uses only several ounces of wood or lump coal to attain the desired smoked over wood flavor. Beware of BBQ and smoker forums as some consider smoking with electrics as cheating. Not me; my criterion is fun, works, affordable.

I was smoking and roasting. It came to mind; "could these two have a commonality, and benefit from each other?" I expect they can. Here I am merely starting the discussion.

On the coffee front, I roast with an electric Behmor 1600. Many prior roasters over many years, the previous to the Behmor was a drum over a gas BBQ rotisserie.

On the smoker front, I began many moons ago with a Smokin Tex electric smoker. The Smokin Tex heating element and stainless box are excellent, but the thermostat was/is a POS; I burnt the Thanksgiving turkey.

So when BBQ Guru came out with their CyberQ WiFi smoker controller, with three meat thermocouples and one pit thermocouple, all capable of driving an electric smoker via the BBQ Guru Power Raptor, what was I to do? I ordered that bad boy combination and gave BBQ Guru my credit card number.

I pulled the thermostat electrics out of the Smoking Tex and replaced the guts with my BBQ Guru bundle of electronics. Next two Thanksgivings, perfect smoked Turkey. And perfect smoking everything in between. Smokin perfection!

I'm looking at my Behmor 1600. Roasting 8 oz. while inputting via its interface that I have 16 oz. You and I know that I don't have 16 oz. in the Behmor roasting. What is really going on in the Behmor 1600? Is there something I already own that can give me more feedback, even more control than the Behmor 1600 offers? Could that something be my BBQ Guru, with readings delivered via a WiFi? Could be.

Those with experience in these things please share your knowledge and save me from burning up my house!
 View Profile Link to this post
Maotoying
Maotoying
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Dream
Grinder: Mini Mazzer (man)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 5:33am
Subject: Re: Joining a Behmor 1600 Roaster To A BBQ Guru CyberQ with Power Raptor.

On this thread http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/632043
There is reference to the MS Windows program RoasterThing
and to the iOS iPhone/iPad app Roastmaster.

Roastmaster data logs via thermocouple devices including Bluetherm, a Bluetooth device that can utilize two k-type thermocouples.

My thoughts
  1. I already have $ in the purchase of the popular four probe CyberQ WiFi with PowerRaptor by BBQ Guru. So won't be spending another $200 for another system like the BlueTherm.
    2 Can  Roastmaster app connect to the CyberQ? The BlueTherm connects via BlueTooth while the CyberQ connects via WiFi with its own local area network, or via the Internet.
  2. In addition to data logging, it would be great that the Behmore 1600 could bypass its wired in settings, and pass control the external app.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Joining a Behmor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225443124771)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+