Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Jiffy pop method of roasting!
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Jiffy pop method...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina 67 Lever,  LCM HX
Grinder: HG One, Forte BG
Drip: Mellita #2 cone
Roaster: jiffy pop
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 2:31am
Subject: Jiffy pop method of roasting!

So far I've all of the traditional manual roasting methods I've tried have produced far better coffee than any mass produced "store" coffee, if not for the fact that they are fresh roasts.  But they are quite inferior to machine roasters that provide two key elements--even, enclosed heat source and tossed beans.

So in my experimentation, I incorporated those two elements by tossing the beans instead of stirring them. Unfortunately this really isn't feasible with typical pots and pans.  So I remembered seeing a cheap ramen pot from a Japanese gift shop, which was featherweight by comparison--a mere 3.5 ounces.

I found the results were highly improved over stirring but tossing them in open air resulted in considerable heat loss during the roast, so it took almost 20 minutes to get to first crack just for 8 ounces of beans.  As you can imagine, 20 minutes of this can be quite labor intensive.     I solved this problem my covering the pot with foil wrap.   The result was incredible, cutting my roast time by 2/3rds and producing incredibly even roasts--on par with drum roasted coffee.

Shortly after first crack, I walk over to the window, remove the foil and pour the beans back and forth between another identical pot until the chaff is all blown away (as well as the smoke).

I have dubbed this the 'jiffy pop" method.  

Here's the result:

weebit_nutty: pic.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 2:32am
Subject: Re: Jiffy pop method of roasting!

Here I have installed a thermometer.

weebit_nutty: pic1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 2:34am

Voila! A jiffy-pop coffee roaster!

weebit_nutty: pic2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 9:20am

You know you may have come upon something here.  You should try getting a real jiffy pop with the expandable aluminum on top and find a way to temporarially remove it, remove the popcorn and its gunk, and replace that with beans.  Then roast as you would regular jiffy pop.  I wonder if the coffee smoke would be cut down due to the expanding aluminum foil? (or does it have holes in the top of it ... can't remember, however it islikely).

A million dollar idea if you could find a way to patent the process for coffee roasting.  Likely you would have issues with jiffy pops likely already patended process, but you never know.  It is a different application.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 7:28pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You know you may have come upon something here.  You should try getting a real jiffy pop with the expandable aluminum on top and find a way to temporarially remove it, remove the popcorn and its gunk, and replace that with beans.  Then roast as you would regular jiffy pop.  I wonder if the coffee smoke would be cut down due to the expanding aluminum foil? (or does it have holes in the top of it ... can't remember, however it islikely).

A million dollar idea if you could find a way to patent the process for coffee roasting.  Likely you would have issues with jiffy pops likely already patended process, but you never know.  It is a different application.

Len

Posted January 12, 2014 link

Well it's not something that I think will make me a millionaire, at least not here in America where coffee is just coffee (to 98% of Americans), and specialty coffee is something that contains 2 shots of espresso and 8 shots of syrup!  Nevertheless getting a patent might actually be worthwhile.  Thanks for the suggestion!
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 6:45am

This is really interesting. Do you continue to toss the beans while the foil is in place? It looks like the pan would be pretty full with 8 ounces of beans - have you measured the pan capacity and if so, what is it?
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 3:50am

johnboddie Said:

This is really interesting. Do you continue to toss the beans while the foil is in place? It looks like the pan would be pretty full with 8 ounces of beans - have you measured the pan capacity and if so, what is it?

Posted January 13, 2014 link

Yes, I toss the beans with the foil on.. the foil eventually bows upward due to the continual bouncing of the beans off the foil.  The pan will accommodate a lb or more but 8 is probably the max I'd want to do at a time..
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 1:37pm

Are you using the thermometer to judge when to stop the roast or are you still relying on the sound?
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 12:54am

johnboddie Said:

Are you using the thermometer to judge when to stop the roast or are you still relying on the sound?

Posted January 14, 2014 link

Both.. I use the thermometer to control the overall roast profile.   I don't roast too far past 1st crack, so the thermometer becomes more informational than instrumental in the finale, where sight and sound are the primary deciding factors.
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 1:16am

Here is a demonstration I made.  In case you can't hear it,  1st crack starts around 4:30, and really takes off at the 5 minute mark.

By the way, please ignore huge mess I made at the end..  It's not optimal but works very well to cool the beans while removing the chaff and cleans up in 30 seconds with my shop vac.  I've since updated my process by keeping the foil on to avoid releasing a plume of smoke in the house (as well as the chaff mess) and do all that out of a window.   If anyone knows of something i can use to remove chaff from a post-roasted batch of beans without making a mess let me know.  I've been toying with a few ideas to do this.

http://youtu.be/g64BQTVpo0M
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Jiffy pop method...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318933963776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+