Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone know how...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
icantroast

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 12:47pm
Subject: Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is

Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is controlled by a router speed control? That would be amazing! I'm getting to first crack way too fast unmodified and my beans taste grassy. Thanks guys!
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is

I was looking online for a schematic of the Poppery II so I could give you  an intelligent answer.  I found more than that:

Click Here (popperyii.blogspot.com)

Someone has put together a well illustrated article on how to do it.  He makes reference to a continuously variable dimmer for the speed control.  I'd like to comment on that. You want a dimmer for low voltage lighting with a non-electronic (plain old magnetic) transformer. Low voltage lighting dimmers come in two flavors. The ones for old fashioned transformers are standard triac dimmers, but care is given to make them symmetrical to avoid DC in the transformer primary.  The dimmers for "electronic" transformers are reverse phase dimmers to control the high peak currents which would result from the transformer's input rectifier / filter network.  The "electronic" transformers "don't care" about a slight DC component so not much effort for symmetry is necessary in those dimmers.  

I think the Harbor Freight router speed control which he specifies for the heater is good.  I've used one for the heater in my hacked Z&D roaster.

Phil

icantroast Said:

Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is controlled by a router speed control? That would be amazing! I'm getting to first crack way too fast unmodified and my beans taste grassy. Thanks guys!

Posted January 15, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
icantroast

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 9:37am
Subject: Re: Anyone know how to mod a Poppery II so that the fan stays on but the heat is

Wow, thanks for that! Unfortunately I think that's gonna take me some time to decipher. :P Is there anything different I need to do if I just want the fan to stay on continuously and have no control over it? I'd rather not buy anything extra if I don't have to! Thanks a ton!
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 10:23pm

If you don't care about controlling the blower speed you have a couple of options.  If you want to be able to get down to no heat at all you will still need the transformer. You wont need the lamp dimmer. Just connect the transformer to the line directly. If you can accept a small amount of heat at the minimum just leave the smaller heater connected to the motor and control the main heater with the router control.

Phil

icantroast Said:

Wow, thanks for that! Unfortunately I think that's gonna take me some time to decipher. :P Is there anything different I need to do if I just want the fan to stay on continuously and have no control over it? I'd rather not buy anything extra if I don't have to! Thanks a ton!

Posted January 17, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
icantroast

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 10:32am

Unfortunately I think my Poppery II adventures are over. I connected the wires from the motore to a power cord and plugged it into the socket. The fuse tripped, i heard a little crack and smelled some smoke and noticed half of a diode was missing. One of these diodes: https://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZByKAI28tEg/TSE5KFooRMI/AA AAAAAAC24/ULThdLJL83I/s1600/Rectifier+closeup.jpg

Whoops! :(
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:21pm

If you can locate the hot wire for the heater switch you can hook up a variable switch to it like the picture shown below.

Burner0000: wc15-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 4:57pm

Hi Icantroast,

That was not one of the options which I set out for you, but since I did not explicitly say that you are dealing with a low voltage motor, I'll go easy.

I think it is safe to say your diodes are history.  Your motor may have survived but I would not count on it.  To check remove the remains of the diodes and connect the motor to your car battery.  The motor should run although it will be a be a bit slow.  If the motor runs replace the diodes with 1N4001 diodes and do one of the options which I set out.  

If you want to connect your motor across the line, look for an original Poppery.  They have 120 Volt universal motors.

This is what they look like: Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Phil

icantroast Said:

Unfortunately I think my Poppery II adventures are over. I connected the wires from the motore to a power cord and plugged it into the socket. The fuse tripped, i heard a little crack and smelled some smoke and noticed half of a diode was missing. One of these diodes: https://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZByKAI28tEg/TSE5KFooRMI/AA AAAAAAC24/ULThdLJL83I/s1600/Rectifier+closeup.jpg

Whoops! :(

Posted January 19, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
icantroast

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 5:41pm

Phil, thanks a lot for the information. I thought I read one of your options as needing neither the transformer nor the dimmer. I see now that I was quite wrong. :(

Are all the diodes toast? Only one actually physically separated in half. The diodes say 5393 on them (closest Google search brings up 1N5393...if I could use the 1N4001 version that'd be great, those are available locally). I truly hope the motor is not dead. I'll have to check it when I get time. Is there any way to do it with something besides the car battery?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I can't believe I was so stupid!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 6:53pm

My Poppery II has a toggle switch that cuts the heating element. Its been 13 years and I can't remember but maybe I can take it apart and see. Back in the day you could find that kind of info on several sites.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
PJK
PJK

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 10:28pm

Hi Icantroast,

Yes, one of the options does not require the transformer or dimmer, but you need to leave the small heater connected in series with the motor circuit as a dropping resistor. Of coarse you have to accept a small amount of heat even when the main heater is fully powered down.

The 1N5393 is a higher current part and it has a 200 Volt reverse breakdown voltage as opposed to 50 for the 1N4001.  Since the motor is about 20 to 25 volts the reverse voltage should not exceed ~30 Volts. I doubt the current will exceed 1 ampere  (rating of 1N4001) but the 5393 will give more margin. The 1N4001 is about as common as dirt.

Any DC source of 12 to 20 Volts capable of 1 ampere will work.  If you are using a lab supply with an ammeter you can look at the current to decide if you are comfortable with the 1A 1N4001.

You can check the diodes which did not explode and you may be able to salvage some but if you are using 1N4001s they are cheap enough that I wouldn't bother with diodes which have gone through what you have.

Phil

icantroast Said:

Phil, thanks a lot for the information. I thought I read one of your options as needing neither the transformer nor the dimmer. I see now that I was quite wrong. :(

Are all the diodes toast? Only one actually physically separated in half. The diodes say 5393 on them (closest Google search brings up 1N5393...if I could use the 1N4001 version that'd be great, those are available locally). I truly hope the motor is not dead. I'll have to check it when I get time. Is there any way to do it with something besides the car battery?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I can't believe I was so stupid!

Posted January 19, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone know how...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34296298027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+