Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
My experience having to Ship my Gene Cafe for Repairs...
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > My experience...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Dmorcos
Dmorcos
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia- Royal...
Roaster: Hottop, GC, Behmor, FR8
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 7:11pm
Subject: My experience having to Ship my Gene Cafe for Repairs...

A few weeks ago my GC quit heating. It has had 2 elements replaced by me in the last 5 or so years. Since then I have also learned to look inside the heating element (with the help of this forum member) to check and make sure it is the issue. Well, long story short, it was not and my only option in either case was to send it in to Batch coffee for repair.

Batch coffee was very responsive to all my requests. They were prompt, gave me a quote before fixing it and send me the old part back as I have asked them. They also responded with their finding within 24 hours of receiving my roaster, invoice was sent in another 24, I paid it immediately and it shipped back. All happened in better time than I would have expected and accepted to be the norm. So as far as I am concerned the work they did and the turn around time was class A.

Now this is were it all ends for me with the GC. The part that I had to have replaced was part of the board. (see pic) and the side covers since mine were a bit warped. My total was $112. Unless you live where you can drop it off and pick it up, the box you need for shipping is big for the (main body only), and by the time you have it insured you will pay a min. of $20 and up. Again, I am paying for shipping alone what I almost paid for the elements internals, plus labor & parts.

I think that GC has made a mistake going this route with their customers and I will no longer be one. At the above rate and with the repairs required for mine the cost would add up to what a new HT cost, and from what I have seen, the HT is built very solid and you can do your own repairs. So I have since purchased the HT B2k, and this GC will be going up for sale very soon.

Dmorcos: gene.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:57am
Subject: Re: My experience having to Ship my Gene Cafe for Repairs...

One would think these guys would look at what Hotop is doing and do likewise.

Nesco is the same. They wont even sell you a drive belt.  I have used a Z&D for years during which time I've had to scrap other machines or fabricate my own roast heaters. Belts can be had from people who sell record player parts. When my last roast heater crapped out I got fed up with Nesco's foolishness and got a Hotop.  One can go to HT's website and find any part which you need and click to put it in the shopping cart.

The companies which do not support us should be flagged as not deserving our business.

Phil

Dmorcos Said:

A few weeks ago my GC quit heating. It has had 2 elements replaced by me in the last 5 or so years. Since then I have also learned to look inside the heating element (with the help of this forum member) to check and make sure it is the issue. Well, long story short, it was not and my only option in either case was to send it in to Batch coffee for repair.

Batch coffee was very responsive to all my requests. They were prompt, gave me a quote before fixing it and send me the old part back as I have asked them. They also responded with their finding within 24 hours of receiving my roaster, invoice was sent in another 24, I paid it immediately and it shipped back. All happened in better time than I would have expected and accepted to be the norm. So as far as I am concerned the work they did and the turn around time was class A.

Now this is were it all ends for me with the GC. The part that I had to have replaced was part of the board. (see pic) and the side covers since mine were a bit warped. My total was $112. Unless you live where you can drop it off and pick it up, the box you need for shipping is big for the (main body only), and by the time you have it insured you will pay a min. of $20 and up. Again, I am paying for shipping alone what I almost paid for the elements internals, plus labor & parts.

I think that GC has made a mistake going this route with their customers and I will no longer be one. At the above rate and with the repairs required for mine the cost would add up to what a new HT cost, and from what I have seen, the HT is built very solid and you can do your own repairs. So I have since purchased the HT B2k, and this GC will be going up for sale very soon.

Posted January 15, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:36am

Dmorcos Said:

Posted January 15, 2014 link

Well I don't understand. In the UK the reseller has all the parts for sale. The Gene Cafe is modular, very easy to repair and parts are inexpensive....very bad service you are getting from your resellers. They can, and should, stock parts to support/sell to their customers. Genesis the manufacturer of the Gene, put's no restrictions on resellers that I am aware of. Your problem seems to be all down to the resellers concerned and not the Gene Cafe manufacturer.
Dmorcos
Dmorcos

Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia- Royal...
Roaster: Hottop, GC, Behmor, FR8
Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:47pm

DavecUK Said:

Your problem seems to be all down to the resellers concerned and not the Gene Cafe manufacturer.

Posted January 18, 2014 link

I am not sure that it is not Genesis. They could provide a US site where we can purchase parts if they wanted to. That is very easy to do. Also, do not forget that it used to be the same as it is now in the UK until it changed last Sep.
so keep you fingers crossed it does not change there too. For me, I just will NOT spend another $100+ for a $15 electronic part that they are already reaping profits selling to end users as they did in the past. I just happened to be forced to just so I can sell it and get rid of it.

It was a great roaster with annoying heater element issues (for me at least) but I could tolerate the cost of the parts. Genesis has lost my business and any utterance of their product in recommendations I may offer.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > My experience...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27860212326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+