Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor door can't close tightly
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor door...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rhodius2003

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 5:58am
Subject: Behmor door can't close tightly

Hello folks,

just got my Behmor and after a few tries, no matter what I do, it seems the handle of the chaff collector protruded a bit causing the door to be slightly open. This lets out a bit of whiff during roasting but during cooling, it lets chaffs and smokes out quite a bit.  

I've followed the manual in placing the chaff collector, it could be a rookie mistake. Has anyone who bought in the last few weeks/months experienced the same? FYI, my chaff collector is the half height, as I read here the original was full height blocking view of the roasting process. I tried both with or without the chaff collector, the door is closed more tightly (as designed) if the chaff collector is not inside the roaster.

Thanks folks.

rhodius2003: With chaff collector.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 7:49am
Subject: Re: Behmor door can't close tightly

I remember having a similar issue when I first got my Behmor, there wasn't anything wrong with the machine, I just wasn't lining the chaff collector up properly. It needs to go all the way back against the back wall of the roaster, sometimes it gets caught on the cage protecting the elements.

Take out the drum and try to put the collector in, making sure it goes in properly. Pay close attention to the bottom corners of the cage, as thats where it can catch.
caffeinatedjen

Espresso: Bezzera B707
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:22pm

With mine, you have to push down the handle to get it to go all the way back without hitting the drum. I don't know if they've changed since I got mine three years ago though.
harmolodic

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 5:38am

^^ This.

Also, why not contact Behmor first? They offer great customer service.
rhodius2003

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 8:37am

Thanks for your replies.

That was the picture of the door closed with ONLY the chaff collector, No drum inside. Even though the end of the chaff collector hits the back wall of the roaster (a slight protruded bottom metal of the back wall), the handle is still outside by about 1/4 inch if not more. It seems the chaff collector is a bit too long dimension-wise if the handle is taken into account, without the handle it will fit. This caused the door not to be able to close tightly.

I've tried to reach Behmor twice, but no replies for over two weeks now. Do you folks know if the electronic form on their website works or do you have to email them? I submitted two requests using that form.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:50am

rhodius2003 Said:

Thanks for your replies.

That was the picture of the door closed with ONLY the chaff collector, No drum inside. Even though the end of the chaff collector hits the back wall of the roaster (a slight protruded bottom metal of the back wall), the handle is still outside by about 1/4 inch if not more. It seems the chaff collector is a bit too long dimension-wise if the handle is taken into account, without the handle it will fit. This caused the door not to be able to close tightly.

I've tried to reach Behmor twice, but no replies for over two weeks now. Do you folks know if the electronic form on their website works or do you have to email them? I submitted two requests using that form.

Posted January 28, 2014 link

Check the rubber gasket sealing the inside of  the door.  When cleaning out the inside of the roaster with a a bush and or vacuum can loosen it a bit Sometimes it sticks out not allowing the roaster to fully close.  This was the case with my Previous Behmor a few times.

Burner0000: behmor_1600_door_gasket_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MaxTemp197

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: KitchenAid
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:20pm

I had the same problem with my new Behmor.

If you look at the handle on the chaff collector, you will notice that it is fastened at each end by a pop rivet.  I found that if the handle is rotated out of vertical on those rivets, as mine was, the door will not close completely and you will experience the chaff escape you described.  Try making sure the handle is vertical (and not bowed out, either) and see if that works.

Kurt
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 5:03pm

I just got mine this weekend & had a similar issue. Definitely check the rivets on all of the linkage points of the handle/vanes assembly. On mine, several of the rivets weren't completely 'smushed' & one was missing entirely, causing the assembly to be loose & one of the vanes to 'dig-in' to the bottom of the chaff tray. This made it difficult to fully actuate the vanes, & prevented the handle from returning to its correct 'resting' position. They're sending me out a new chaff tray.

The Behmor website is having problems. They're not getting any emails submitted thru the website. Try emailing Bob Rodda directly: bob<at>behmor<dot>com.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
rhodius2003

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 7:46pm

Thanks for the last two answers, you guys convinced me that I wasn't crazy. The roaster door DID look like it will never shut if the chaff collector handle isn't cut or something for being just a tad too long. I've sent Bob an email, I'll let you guys know.
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 7:15am

since last year Behmors QC has been slipping downward. Thank god that they have one of the best cusomer service policies around.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor door...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271518945694)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+