Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor will not crack
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor will not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
microb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma w/ Naked...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 2:34pm
Subject: Behmor will not crack

Hi guys,

My behmor started to take longer time recently to make it to 1st crack. When I noticed the difference, I went in and cleaned thoroughly as per their instructions (with simple green and all), and it did make a huge difference. For a week or so, all went well.

Then it started again, but this time, it went downhill quite fast. On the 3rd roast today, it was light-brown-yellowish after 1lb/P1-B++ - which is the max time/temp one can get, with only 0.5lbs in there.

I opened the behmor up after the cooling session, and everything was quite hot in there. Usually, it's warm, but not hot.

So I opened the back cases and side panel, and started a cooling cycle, and indeed, the fan turns slowly (like 100 rpm max).

I also looked at the sensors "inside" the behmor - they're clean as clean can be.

My questions to you:

1) Do you think the cooling fan can have any impact on the roast itself? Can it be it cannot evacuate the smoke, so the sensor shut down the elements for too long (wrongly)?

2) Is it the time for replacement? If yes, should I stick to Behmor knowing that I roast average 10lbs of coffee per week (I roast for some others as well)?

3) Anyone has any suggestions on things to try? I tried multiple outlets - all same results. The one I currently use used to work fine (I'm in Quebec, Canada and our electricity is quite stable).

Thanks!

M
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 2:54pm
Subject: Re: Behmor will not crack

Hi Michel,

How old is the roaster?
Can you measure your outlet voltage with a volt/ohm meter, & if you can., what is the AC voltage please?

Is the side circuit boards cooling fan blades (directly above the right hand 2/3'rd side of the board) covered/plugged up in chopped up fuzzy chaff?
Is the rear end back of the roasters bean cooling fan (long squirrel cage fan) covered/plugged up too/also?

The roast program "B" cycle will cause the roaster to cycle (turning the heating elements on/off) more often.

That's a lot of roasting every week, & possibly the nichrome heating elements aren't up to snuff.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 6:34am
Subject: Re: Behmor will not crack

Sounds like your elements might need replaced. They start to weaken at around 200 lbs. I have to replace my elements once a year.  Try leaving the stainless baffle off the back to promote better air flow around the temp sensors while doing a roast. Bet your time will improve. I also took notice that after the bean cooling fan gets gunked up with coffee oils roast times seem to get a little longer but I have found no good way to clean the fan/turbine. the vanes are thin and bend easy.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor will not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.219966173172)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+