Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe 1/2 Pound Roaster
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe 1/2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:06pm
Subject: Gene Cafe 1/2 Pound Roaster

I want to upgrade from my hot air popper to a dedicated roaster.  The Gene roaster sounds good on paper and is in my price range, but I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the Gene.  I probably will be doing only 2 or 3 roasts a month with the roaster.  My main goal is to have a roaster than does a longer roast than the hot air popper and gets more flavors out of the beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
Ronnie

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:42pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe 1/2 Pound Roaster

I used a fresh roast for about a year or so....purchased a gene cafe ...been using for 1 1/2 years...roast 4 times a month.....works great for me.....easy to hear 1st and 2nd crack on most beans....easy to maintain

Ronnie
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:56pm

Thanks for passing on your experience with the Gene.  I think it's the roaster for me.
Ronnie

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 4:56am

Good luck with gene cafe!

Ronnie
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 3:05pm

Three caveats:

1. The Gene needs some cool down time between roasts, and doesn't work well as a batch roaster. You may not roast enough coffee per "session," for this to matter;
  2. The new Gene Cafe distributor doesn't sell parts for DIY repair.  When your machine needs work, you'll have to send it to them for servicing.  It may not matter to you, but it would end my interest; and
  3.  If you want to do accurate BT and ET telemetry to feed real time plotting -- darn near a necessity for sophisticated profiling -- the Gene isn't a great candidate.  Another deal killer, as far as I'm concerned -- but something else which you may not find important.  

In my opinion -- and it's just an opinion -- the Gene is good, but the HotTop "B" (also not perfect) is a better roaster in most respects; and well worth the price difference.

Whatever you get, use it well and enjoy!

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 3:12pm

Thank you for your advice.  I've looked at the Hot Top and will give it another look after reading your post. As you said, the price difference isn't all that large.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 8:50pm

I'm a new Hottop (B-2K) user and very happy with it. Based on my research before I bought it, I'd agree that you get a lot for the price difference between the GC and the HT.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 9:15pm

The best source -- by far!!! -- about Hot Tops is Randy Glass's site, Esspresso My Espresso.  It's not a balanced evaluation but an ultimate how to, which will tell you everything about what the HT can and can't do; and what you can and can't do with it.

It's also one of the best espresso and roasting sites for people who want to do both things better.

Browse, peruse, learn.  

BDL
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 7:42am

Two things to add to the great advice you already got-- first is I read that Batch Coffee very recently announced they will be selling parts so you can repair the roaster yourself- that's kind of a big deal. Second thing-- the Gene is more for people that want to just press a button let the machine take over. If you want to be able to control the various stages of the roast, make small adjustments to get a specific profile- you'd be better off with the Hottop. The Hottop allows for little or no user input too though. So it really comes down to how want to get your beans roasted.
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 10:35am

Many thanks to everyone for the tips on roasters.  I'm now leaning toward the Hot Top.  Fortunately, the price difference between the Gene and the Hot Top fits within my budget.  I've viewed You Tube videos on both  roasters.  It's helpful to see both in operation.  Now, all I have to do is buy the roaster and start roasting.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe 1/2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256661891937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+