Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Just bought a Behmor -- Help!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Just bought a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
cmn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 12:19pm
Subject: Just bought a Behmor -- Help!

Hello all,

I've been interested in home roasting for a while now and I have been reading this forum in anticipation of taking the plunge.  I just purchased a Behmor 1600 (used) and I must say that the amount of information is staggering.  I went ahead and roasted a batch yesterday without a digital scale (coming via mail now), but the forum has so much information that I am feeling overwhelmed.  

Is there a Roasting 101 for the Behmor explained in simple (step-by-step) terms?  I tried searching but to no avail.

Thanks much for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:07pm
Subject: Re: Just bought a Behmor -- Help!

cmn Said:

Hello all,

I've been interested in home roasting for a while now and I have been reading this forum in anticipation of taking the plunge.  I just purchased a Behmor 1600 (used) and I must say that the amount of information is staggering.  I went ahead and roasted a batch yesterday without a digital scale (coming via mail now), but the forum has so much information that I am feeling overwhelmed.  

Is there a Roasting 101 for the Behmor explained in simple (step-by-step) terms?  I tried searching but to no avail.

Posted March 17, 2014 link

What type of roast are you looking to produce? If you want to do a good drip or pour over I can give you easy advice. The type of roast you are looking for would make the difference in the type of advice. I use a Chemex for my coffee and found most of the advice here was misleading because it was mainly for espresso drinkers. I finally have pourover type roast for a regular cup of coffee down beautifully.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:14pm

cmn Said:

Hello all,

Posted March 17, 2014 link

Have you checked out Sweet Maria's website?  They have VERY informational videos for beginners on home roasting.  Even a step by step on what the Behmor 1600 does, how it works, to roast, details etc.. Click

Another good reference is their "Coffee Roasting Basics page"

Both of those links should break it down pretty nicely and get you started.  In the second link SM explains in a nutshell the roasting process.  At the bottom of the page theres a link that talks about how to determine the degree of roast to taste using your senses.   Lastly Here's a ling from Sweet Maria's that shows the degree of roast by site.  Click
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 1:24pm

If you didn't get the manual with it that would be a very good place to start. Here is a link-

http://www.behmor.com/docs/uscan120v.pdf

Good to read and follow for getting started. Weighing your beans is definitely important. I started using P2 after just a couple roasts to slow things down a bit. Good luck!

BTW- not a long, drawn out manual. Easy reading.
cmn

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 3:02pm

Thanks for the tips.

I will alternate between brewing in a French Press (weekends) and a Capresso CoffeeTeam GS10 (grind and brew).  Probably shooting for a Full City or City+ roast most of the time.

I think I'm most confused by the notion of roast profiles and the notion of extending time on the Behmor to get the desired roast for the bean.  I was never good at keeping all the various variables straight in math so I'm possibly just a bit overwhelmed with info.

I'll take a look at the various links that you pointed me too.

Again, many thanks.
Rob989_69

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 6:57am

I'm not super anal about my roasting methods I've had my Behmor a little over a year, I've figured out what types of coffee I like and what roast levels I like them at.

My recommendation to you is this. Start with smaller amounts, half a lb is what I'd recommend. No matter what the bean start with the P1 profile, and select the option for 1lb. What this does is give you plenty of time to allow for power issues or ambient temperature variations. The simplest way to roast is to listen for the cracks, 1st crack is a loud pop, like popcorn, 2nd is a slightly less audible, but still very detectable snap, like rice crispies as you pour milk over them. For your range, Full city ish area. I'd roast till you hear the first few snaps of 2nd crack. Immediately hit cool no matter the time left.

As you master the basic roast you can then play with different profiles and degree's of roast. I still use P1 for everything and a Variac for power boost only (my house power is pretty low.) I'll open the door as soon as I hear the first pop of 1st crack and leave it for about a minute.

I also struggled with power issues for about a month so you want to pay attention to times. If a 1/2lb is taking nearly 20 minutes you likely are not on a 20amp circuit or it's not dedicated.

Best tip, don't look at the color of bean for doneness. Listen to the cracks. I was pulling my roast just into 1st crack thinking it was 2nd because the beans were dark.

As mentioned, check out SweetMarias.com and also www.thecaptainscoffee.com/ for info. Also In my humble opinion, the best sources for green beans. I highly recommend Captains, shipping is fast and service is excellent. As is SM.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 6:02pm

I would also make sure you are aware of the "Rosetta Stone" (the part of the Behmor manual that gives guidelines for how long it takes to get to 2C after 1C starts.
I never got a variac (they're big & expensive) but I did get a kill-a-watt to monitor voltage so I'd know when to expect my roasts to take longer.

Agree that P1 is the way to go for a while (except maybe for very soft beans or decafs). Many people find P2 very difficult to use because it needs to be timed just right.
Also, I always used a 1 lb setting on P1 since there's no curve anyway (P1 is always full power) and that makes it very unlikely that you'd run out of time.

Roasterthing (roasterthing.com) is a great, free, PC program with which you can track inventory and roasts and display roast info as you go along.
Also, has sort of a built in Rosetta Stone which I'd found very handy.
MichaelinA2
MichaelinA2
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia (100)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 7:49pm

In addition to reading the Manual, try this in a well ventilated space... (from start to finish, plan on this process to take (say) 35 minutes, once you get the hang of things)

1. Measure 12oz of green coffee beans.
  2. Remove wire drum and chaff catcher from roaster.
  3. Plug roaster into a wall outlet, push the 1 pound setting, push START to pre-heat the roaster for one (1) minute, then turn roaster OFF. DO NOT let it preheat longer than a minute.
  4. While the roaster is pre-heating, place the loose beans in the wire drum.
  5. Return the wire drum with beans and chaff catcher to the pre-heated roaster making sure the drum is free to rotate and will NOT bind with chaff catcher.
  6. Select 1 pound setting (again), then P3, followed by C, then push START. You should hear the drum turning and the sound of slow sloshing beans as they are being agitated.
  7. Set a kitchen timer for 19 minutes and let the roaster run (check things every once in a while to make sure all is OK)
  8. At (say) 19 minutes into the roast, return to the roaster and listen for first crack. DO NOT stop the roast at this point; instead, allow it to run the full roast period. If the air temp in your roasting area is (say) 10-25F, you may wish to extend the roast time 10-20 seconds; otherwise, just let the roast run until the cool down cycle begins. There's no need to get too crazy about tinkering with roast times. I've yet to find this setting (1-P3-C) to fail me.
  9. When the cool down cycle starts, open the door of the roaster for a few (say 3) seconds, then return it to the closed position. Some loose chaff will escape, so be sure to clean it up.
  10. Once the cool down cycle ends, remove the chaff catcher and drum with roasted beans.
  11. Pour the cooled roasted beans into an open bowl.
  12. Using a small shop vacuum, remove all of the loose chaff from the roaster, screen drum and chaff catcher.
  13. Return the wire drum and chaff catcher to their place in the roaster and return the roaster to its storage location.
  14. Cut two paper squares (say 1x1 inch) and note on the paper the bean origin (Bali Blue Moon) and roast date (3/21).
  15. Fill one 1 pint glass Mason jar with roasted beans to the top and place one paper square (with notes) on top of the beans, then loosely screw on the cap.
  16. Place the remaining beans in another 1 pint glass Mason Jar, drop the other paper square (with notes) on to the top of the beans, then loosely screw on the cap. Place both Mason jars in a cool dark place (pantry ?).
  17. After (say) 12 hours, remember to screw the caps down tight.
  18. Let the beans rest for (say) 3 days in the sealed Mason jars.
  19. After resting, grind the beans in small batches to fit your brewing needs and enjoy. For best results, use all the beans within 10 days of roasting.

I usually keep two batches (two pairs of jars) of roasted beans available for use. I stagger my roasts, so while one roast is resting, the other is being consumed. When one pair of jar's beans are used up, I roast another batch to take its place. With each roast, I update my roast date note, so I don't get the older roast confused with the newer roast.

That's about it.

Easy... Peasy... M

(edited 8. to clarify...)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014, 7:07am

MichaelinA2 Said:

Return the wire drum with beans and chaff catcher to the pre-heated roaster making sure the drum is free to rotate and will NOT bind with chaff catcher.
Select 1 pound setting (again), then P3, followed by C, then push START. You should hear the drum turning and the sound of slow sloshing beans as they are being agitated.
Set a kitchen timer for 19 minutes and let the roaster run (check things every once in a while to make sure all is OK)
At (say) 19 minutes into the roast, return to the roaster and listen for first crack. If the air temp in your roasting area is (say) 10-25F, you may wish to extend the roast time 10-20 seconds; otherwise, just let the roast run until the cool down cycle begins. There's no need to get too crazy about tinkering with roast times. I've yet to find this setting (1-P3-C) to fail me.

Posted March 21, 2014 link

Not sure why MichaelinA2is telling opting for P3. I don't think that's a good place to start learning for "hard" beans (Brazil, Asian, Hawaiian. some Africans and Decafs being the "softer" beans where P3 might be best).
There's more than one way to skin a cat and these directions are very specific whereas results will vary depending on beans, ambient temps, and voltage.
Also, I always preheated 2 mins. The issue is that if you go further than that you may not be able to restart the Behmor without a cool down due to internal controls.
Rather than picking an arbitrary 19 mins, I would decide what roast level you're aiming for, listen for 1C, and then time it accordingly (based on Rosetta stone).
If you're aiming for FC+ (a bit dark for most coffee geeks unless for espresso) then the timings easy as you need to stop the roast shortly after 2C onset.

Also, if you're aiming for FC (or City +) and accidentally get to 2C then you know to make it roughly 30-60 secs shorter next time.
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014, 9:01am

19 min to first crack for 12 oz? Dude your beans are baked. 1c should start between 8-11 min into roast depending on your voltage. I've roasted with 2 behmors,10 to12 oz loads back to back for about 3 years and never had a roast go past 15 mins.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Just bought a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291792869568)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+