Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Getting started with a Turbo Crazy
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Getting started...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 8:20pm
Subject: Getting started with a Turbo Crazy

((I originally started to high jack someone elses topic about the Turbo Crazy but figured that i'd just create my own.

This is an intriguing option for me but i'm wondering if this method is still in favor with the roasting community as most topics I see are pretty old?

I would like to just start with the basics.

What Turbo Ovens have worked successfully with the stir crazy (Click Here (www.amazon.com))? I have seen mention of the Galloping Gourmet (1400+ watt models) and the Sunpentown So-2002 but it seems like both are really old. Are there any current models? Such as this one(Click Here (www.bedbathandbeyond.com)) that would work? Just curious as to what people are using these days.

Sorry if these questions have been asked over and over again.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:15pm
Subject: Re: Getting started with a Turbo Crazy

I'd say the Convection tops you mentioned will all work just fine. Mine is a Betty Crocker, 1350 watts, I think.

Don't forget that a "spacer"...a 4"-5" cake ring the same diameter size as the Stir Crazy is a must. Most of us also disconnected the heating element from the Stir Crazy, and replace the plastic shaft with a metal one, and covered it with a brass cap for insulation.
I actually have a different brand of stirrer machine that already had metal where necessary. I just can't remember the brand, but the model was called a "UFO." I could easily roast 14oz with a 1st crack (if I desired) at 7 minutes.

That said, many of us turned to the Behmor 1600. Full disclosure, I was one of the 1st Beta Testers of the 1600. At $299 list (usually sold with 4 lbs of free green beans) it presented a  great option for roasting up to 1 # of green. I still occasionally use my convection combo just for grins and giggles. The roast never seems as complex as with the Behmor (or HotTop), but it's still lots better than supermarket coffee.

There are several threads on how to modify the Stirrer/popper portion of the combo. The parts are less than $10, and is absolutely necessary if you want a long lasting stir uint.
Mine has lasted 7 years, and probably 200 roasts.

EDIT..I believe it's a Salton UFO, not sure if it's discontinued.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:18pm

Thanks for the info. I haven't sold my significant other on the behmor yet. It sounds like it beats the turbo crazy in most ways. I currently use just the poppery ii unmodified. Would the roast quality of the turbo crazy be well above the poppery (what if I modified it?)?
brianl

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:20pm

Accidentally quoted instead of edited ha
boss99er

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 7:13pm

Oops! Sorry I missed your question in my post. Wasn't on the boards in a while. I've now got about 15 roasts under my belt. Ask any questions you have!
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:12am

I haven't used a popper myself but from what I've seen and know your roasts would greatly improve if you mod it. The T/C also does a good job roasting, and will do bigger batches. The biggest advantage I know of the Behmor over a homemade T/C is the ability to roast indoors, and the Behmor may have a slightly quicker learning curve as the profiles are programmed in (although not adjustable). You need to use the T/C a bit to get to know how it acts. You can still get some pretty good roasts right off the bat with it though.

Here's a page I like on all the ins and outs of building a T/C

http://turbocrazy.atspace.com/index.htm

The Sunpentown SO2000 is still a good top for the setup. If you wanted just the top you can find them for just over $50. For myself I found I actually really like the turbo oven, it has a permanent home on my kitchen counter and gets very regular use.

Ron
brianl

Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 6:49am

I'll have to ask the lady if she'd like a convection oven haha.

Can you comment on the taste of the turbo crazy vs the behmor? I know the air poppers are usually a bright but under developed kind of grassy taste. The behmore is supposed to be full of more body compared to the air popper.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Getting started...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242542982101)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+