Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
One tough bean!!  -- Indonesian Sumatra Mandehling
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > One tough bean!!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lparsons21

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 7:57am
Subject: One tough bean!!  -- Indonesian Sumatra Mandehling

Got this one from Burman Coffee.

Here's their roasting notes:
We enjoyed this Sumatra at a stronger medium roast, a couple of seconds before the second crack. We found this roast to accentuate the dark chocolate taste but still remain very smooth. Although this is a clean polished coffee, it will roast slightly uneven, as is true with most Indonesians.

First roast I tried with this was with a new Gene Cafe.  The results were not good at all.  Though first crack was audible with the newer and bigger exhaust, never could hear the start of 2nd crack.  One of the problems with using a Gene is that it will sail through 2nd crack very easily and get away from you if you're not careful.  That's what happened to me, never heard the start of 2nd crack which is where I go to cooling usually and it sailed on through to a very dark roast that I didn't care for at all.  Luckily my live-in decided she liked it so it didn't go to waste.

So next batch I did in my Behmor.  10 oz, 1lb setting, P3, C which I've used in the past and worked well.  Got through 1st crack fine, but stopped a bit shorter of 2nd crack that I like.  Turned out OK for a light roast, but I'm not enamored of roasts that don't at least coast into 2nd crack.  Just personal preference.

So I tried 8oz, 1lb setting, P1, D which got me where I wanted, but I had to go by smell and eyeball as 2nd crack is so nearly silent that I couldn't hear it.  The result was very good and it makes for a great cafe crema or Americano.

Later I cranked the Gene back up, but used the smaller exhaust unit that I had.  Cracks much easier to hear this way as it turns out.  But this bean just doesn't do a real pronounced 2nd crack.

I did note that the uneven roasting is certainly there and makes for some interesting differences in the cup on different pulls.  Overall I like it, just takes a little more personal care to get where I want it.

Lloyd
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 8:33am
Subject: Re: One tough bean!!  -- Indonesian Sumatra Mandehling

I have roasted a bunch of sumatra Mandheling on my Behmor.

Usually I roast 10 oz set at 1 lb, P1, B.  My last roast in October of 2013 went into the 1CR at 13:39.  I continued for 2:55 min and had about 0:45 of 2CR.  the roast came out FC+, dark with a slight sheen of oil but no spots.  Total roast time was 16:34 min.

I don't like to go longer than that, concerned about 'baked beans'.  I agree with you that sometimes it is hard to tell when the second crack begins until you are 'right into it';  it's subtle, at the start.

Jerry
lparsons21

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 8:59am
Subject: Re: One tough bean!!  -- Indonesian Sumatra Mandehling

I hadn't had any Sumatra Mandheling in a very long time.  I believe the last time I did, I only had a Gene and FreshRoast.

thanks for the info, I'll give that one a whirl next time in the Behmor.

Now off to order some Bali Blue Mountain!!  :)

Lloyd
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > One tough bean!!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191353082657)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+