Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Favorite Roast Profiles to Emulate
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Favorite Roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 5:14pm
Subject: Favorite Roast Profiles to Emulate

I know a lot of roasters digitally track their time vs temp roast profiles as they roast.  I'm hoping a few of you are willing to share those graphs (or just time and temp numbers).  I use a bread machine heat gun setup and just recently threaded a thermocouple into the bean mass for BT.  I tried doing a search on here but "roast profile" turns up mainly Behmor info/troubleshooting.  I'm really just looking for a few different things to try and emulate as I improve my technique.  I drink espresso pretty exclusively but would also like some stuff to try out in the drip pots I make for the girlfriend.  Businesses can be pretty proprietary with this info but hopefully some of you are willing to share.  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: Favorite Roast Profiles to Emulate

6/3/2
6 minute drying, 3 minute ramp to 1C, 2 minute finish.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 7:45am

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

I know a lot of roasters digitally track their time vs temp roast profiles as they roast.  I'm hoping a few of you are willing to share those graphs (or just time and temp numbers).  I use a bread machine heat gun setup and just recently threaded a thermocouple into the bean mass for BT.  I tried doing a search on here but "roast profile" turns up mainly Behmor info/troubleshooting.  I'm really just looking for a few different things to try and emulate as I improve my technique.  I drink espresso pretty exclusively but would also like some stuff to try out in the drip pots I make for the girlfriend.  Businesses can be pretty proprietary with this info but hopefully some of you are willing to share.  Thanks!

Posted March 30, 2014 link

IIRC, 4, 4, 4 is a common profile for your type of roaster.  

That said, temperatures don't translate very well from roaster to roaster, generic profiles don't translate well across different roaster types, and various sorts of beans require different profiles from one another.  

There's a fairly active community of bread-machine/heat gun/thermocouple roasting on HRO, you might want to try asking there.

I don't think my drum-roaster plots will be of much benefit to you, but I've attached one which shows a fairly representative profile for a Central SHB taken to C+.  Note that the times shown to each interval are a few seconds short of my "ideal" profile for this bean -- 2013 Huehuetenango Rincon Micro Lot.  I'd planned 6, 3-1/2, 3-1/2.  

Roasting calls for attention to detail, but is not exact.  Minor deviations are (a) "close enough for government work;" (b) to be expected; and (c) that level of accuracy is probably impossible with your type of roaster.  

One does the best one can.  It's most important to do things on purpose; and to keep track of them so they can be repeated if desired.    

Rich

boar_d_laze: Huehuetanango Rinncon Micro.png
(Click for larger image)
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 10:01am

Many thanks to both of you.  I definitely understand that I'll never be able to get high levels of accuracy with my setup, but I'm happy if I produce a roast that I enjoy even if it's a little different each time.  At least I can now keep an eye on what the bean temps look like so I avoid scorching.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 3:49pm

You are quite welcome.  

Let me clarify one thing though.  Just because your style of roaster can't hit time/temp targets as accurately as the kind I bought (at least I don't think it can) you can do excellent roasts with it.  It might have got lost, but that was my point about "good enough for government work."  

A lot of roasters do excellent profiling with bread machine roasters.  "Good enough to enjoy" is a low bar.  I'll bet you're doing much better than that after you've got twenty pounds or so under your belt.  

Rich
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 11:47am

Rich,

I was reading one of the posts you made on a thread I recently commented on and hope you can help answer a question for me.  I would have asked you in the thread but it's pretty unrelated to what the initial poster was asking about and didn't want it to get too far off topic.  Anyway:

Coffee needs to rest before it's ready for espresso, 4 days post-roast is -- IMO -- the bare minimum for coffee which has not been stored air-tight or in a sealed bag with a one way valve.  If it's been stored correctly, 5 days is marginal and 6 is better.  

FWIW, the acceptable post-roast age for properly stored coffee is days 6 - 21, with a "best" window of days 8 - 12.

I was trying to figure out which storage rules apply to beans as they "come of age" in the first week post-roast.  Can you elaborate on the proper method and time or direct me to where you've stated it in the past?

Thanks!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Favorite Roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247321128845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+