Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Papua New Guinea beans - need suggestions for roasting on Behmor
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Papua New Guinea...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JWK

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: OE Pharos
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 12:40pm
Subject: Papua New Guinea beans - need suggestions for roasting on Behmor

Hey All,  I've done pretty well since I went down to 8 oz. batches and stopped baking my beans.  I've done all hard beans from central america and Peru.  My wife just picked up 3 lbs. of Papua New Guinea beans from our local coffee shop.  The owner lets us buy green beans at a great price.  The only catch is that is has to be in 2 or 3 lb. amounts, and only what he has on hand which is usually 5 or six different beans.

So I'm reading on Sweet Maria's that Papua New Guinea coffee can't be lumped in with Sumatra or other Indonesian coffees.  I know from what I've been able to find that the coffee is grown in the highlands of the eastern part of the country.  I don't know how "high" the highlands are or more importantly, how this bean would be categorized.

If anyone has successfully roasted these beans and could give me some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

TIA
 View Profile Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 5:25pm
Subject: Re: Papua New Guinea beans - need suggestions for roasting on Behmor

Hi JWK...

I order Papua New Guinea beans annually and roast them regularly, and find them to be different depending on the region of New Guinea they come from year-to-year. I don't tend to follow the profile descriptions provided by sellers (or in your case not provided).

Since we live at high elevation (6350 ft above sea level) in a cold climate (Wyoming) and roast in a non-heated garage which in the winter sometimes requires me to toss the hair dryer in the chamber just to get the unit warm enough to roast without tripping the 'too-cold' sensors, my profiles might not be of any use to you. But the principle I use for testing new beans may.

My first roast is uniformly 350g using P1-1#-B profile, and pre warming the chamber 1:40. And I take the batch to FC+ (barely +). Based on what we taste after 3-4 days rest, I adjust my notes on the log sheet for the next batch.

I keep better-than-average notes on every batch I roast, and once I've done a new batch (new bag-o-beans) I circle it on the log sheet and make subsequent roasting adjustments based on the first batch.

You could always call the person who sold your wife the beans, and ask him how he adapts his normal roasting to accommodate the beans.

Hope this helps...

°

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
JWK

Grinder: OE Pharos
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 8:16am

Yes, that is helpful.  Thanks.  Do you find yourself sticking with the P1 setting?  I'm also curious to know how long 350g takes to get to the beginning of 1C.  I tried just going up to 9.6 oz. ( about 2.5 oz. shy of your 350g) from my usual 8 oz. roast and it took about 11.5 minutes just to get to the beginning of 1C.  Then I tried  10 oz. and it took me 13 minutes just to get to 1C.  Now we're talking baked beans.

So I don't get it.  How do you roast 12 oz. in a cold garage?  I roast in my basement and it's probably around 60 degrees when I roast.  I also do a preheat and use P1.  My voltage stays between 118 and 120 before the afterburner kicks in.  Doing 8 oz. roasts is a pain since I need to do 3 roasts to get us through the week.
ljguitar
ljguitar

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 9:03am

JWK Said:

Yes, that is helpful.  Thanks.  Do you find yourself sticking with the P1 setting?  I'm also curious to know how long 350g takes to get to the beginning of 1C.  I tried just going up to 9.6 oz. ( about 2.5 oz. shy of your 350g) from my usual 8 oz. roast and it took about 11.5 minutes just to get to the beginning of 1C.  Then I tried  10 oz. and it took me 13 minutes just to get to 1C.  Now we're talking baked beans.

So I don't get it.  How do you roast 12 oz. in a cold garage?  I roast in my basement and it's probably around 60 degrees when I roast.  I also do a preheat and use P1.  My voltage stays between 118 and 120 before the afterburner kicks in.  Doing 8 oz. roasts is a pain since I need to do 3 roasts to get us through the week.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

I do stick to the P1-1#-B setting pretty much all the time. I adjust the speed of the batch by adjusting the weight of the beans, and I don't find my batches baking when they take 12 minutes to reach 1st crack.

Some reach 1st crack at 12 minutes (probably a good average when I look at my logs), and once the chamber is warmed enough to roast without triggering the shut-down (even in 40° ambient air), the internal temperature of the roaster takes care of getting consistent roasts with 350g roasts. If it's pushing the times too far out, I back batches down to 330g or 325g.

I also open the door for a full minute when first crack starts in earnest to stretch the interval between 1st crack & 2nd crack to 3 minutes.

Again, my profiles probably will not work for you.

At this high elevation, coffee roasts much quicker. When I started and was doing air roasting, I had to use Variacs and throttle the roaster back severely to keep the roast from hitting first crack at 5-6 minutes and 2nd crack just rolled out of first crack with no space between. Even with a Variac it was nearly impossible to bring it down under a 9-10 minute roast (then hit cool).

Sorry for the limited capacity (8oz) but think how long it would take in other roasters with a total capacity of 3-4 oz.

°

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
rabbit

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 3:57pm

what is the varital of the bean???       go with full city...
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 4:50pm

The PNG's Ive liked the best were done on p3-p4 settings. p1 for low grown beans like PNG's & indos makes it harder to nail the roast. it tends to roast the outside faster than the inside. Better to use a  gentle profile with a slower ramp .
Kentz
Kentz

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 9:09pm

Papua coffee is good coffee. I love this coffee

http://kopi-jambi.blogspot.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Papua New Guinea...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241740942001)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+