Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
What am I doing wrong? Heat gun dog bowl method...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > What am I doing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JD123

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:25am
Subject: What am I doing wrong? Heat gun dog bowl method...

I'm new to home roasting, and have done the HGDB method exclusively. I've tried different roast times, "profiles", bowls, and they all generally have one flaw which is a bad aftertaste.

I use an Baratza Encore grinder, and the beans smell great after grinding. I've done multiple brew methods (french press, pour over, even K-cup, and they all have this same bad aftertaste. When reading through forums it seem everyone has been really successful with this method but me, so I must be doing something wrong. Here is my general method:

I do small 80-100g batches since I'm experimenting and don't want to waste beans from a bad roast
Drop beans in bowl, put heat gun on high and hold a few inches away from beans while stirring constantly
Within 1-2 minutes, chaff starts flying and yellowing begins
First crack is usually hit around 6 minutes
I back off with the gun once first crack starts, continue stirring for additional 3-5 minutes until 2nd crack starts
Stop roast and cool very quickly. I typically have a very even roast in appearance.

I'm roasting sampler packs from Sweet Maria's: Currently Sumatra, Brazilian, Rwanda & El Salvador. The Brazilian gave me the most palatable roast, but still with a funky aftertaste. Is anything jumping out that is wrong in my process? I posted a thread a little while back on a different subject and a member suggested it was the dog-bowl method in general. How can so many other people be so happy with their HGDB roasts though? Are my expectations too high?
 View Profile Link to this post
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 9:19am
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Heat gun dog bowl method...

JD123 Said:

…I'm roasting sampler packs from Sweet Maria's: Currently Sumatra, Brazilian, Rwanda & El Salvador. The Brazilian gave me the most palatable roast, but still with a funky aftertaste. Is anything jumping out that is wrong in my process? I posted a thread a little while back on a different subject and a member suggested it was the dog-bowl method in general. How can so many other people be so happy with their HGDB roasts though? Are my expectations too high?

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Hi JD...

Stabs in the dark…(brainstorming)
  • What level are you taking the roasts to?
  • Three minutes between 1st & 2nd sounds a lot better than 5 minutes. I'm not sure if tightening that space up would make a difference.
  • How long are you resting beans before drinking the coffee? I find a 2-3 day rest essential to good taste (substantial improvement actually).
  • Have you brewed beans from any local roasters? If so, do they also have the funky aftertaste with your brewing methods?
  • Where on your tongue (front, back, sides) is the funky aftertaste?
  • Have you tried roasting any raw almonds or raw peanuts to see if they have the funky aftertaste?

Hope you get a handle on the aftertaste issue...

°

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
JD123

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 10:17am

Hi ljguitar, thanks for the reply. Answers in bold below, I appreciate any insight at all!

What level are you taking the roasts to? I always stop at beginning of 2nd crack, so Full City +? I actually never meant to go this dark and your question just made me realize what I've been doing. I'm going to try City + next time

Three minutes between 1st & 2nd sounds a lot better than 5 minutes. I'm not sure if tightening that space up would make a difference. See first response :)

How long are you resting beans before drinking the coffee? I find a 2-3 day rest essential to good taste (substantial improvement actually). I've been waiting anywhere between 8hrs and 5+ days just so I can fully understand the changes going on. Doesn't affect the aftertaste unfortunately

Have you brewed beans from any local roasters? If so, do they also have the funky aftertaste with your brewing methods? I used to purchase beans from CoffeeAM and intelligentsia and they were generally good the first week at most. It's been a while since I've used either though

Where on your tongue (front, back, sides) is the funky aftertaste? Back for sure, lingering, very unplesant

Have you tried roasting any raw almonds or raw peanuts to see if they have the funky aftertaste? I've never heard of this, can you elaborate?

ljguitar Said:

Hi JD...

Stabs in the dark…(brainstorming)
What level are you taking the roasts to?
Three minutes between 1st & 2nd sounds a lot better than 5 minutes. I'm not sure if tightening that space up would make a difference.
How long are you resting beans before drinking the coffee? I find a 2-3 day rest essential to good taste (substantial improvement actually).
Have you brewed beans from any local roasters? If so, do they also have the funky aftertaste with your brewing methods?
Where on your tongue (front, back, sides) is the funky aftertaste?
Have you tried roasting any raw almonds or raw peanuts to see if they have the funky aftertaste?

Hope you get a handle on the aftertaste issue...

°

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 10:42am

Did you try the grapefruit peel I suggested?
...just trying to get more descriptive with the taste defect(s).
JD123

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 10:48am

Sorry, I did not... Forgot to pickup a grapefruit twice since you suggested it. I did however do a 2 minute and 8 minute french press brew just to taste the difference between under and over extraction... both of these brews had that aftertaste to it.

I will do the grapefruit test when I can remember to buy one in the first place!
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 11:04am

…Have you tried roasting any raw almonds or raw peanuts to see if they have the funky aftertaste? I've never heard of this, can you elaborate?

Hey JD...

I've never heard of it either. Just in the process of trying to see if the aftertaste is a result of your gear, or the process, or the coffee beans themselves I thought if you roast some nuts and they have the same aftertaste, something in your chain is producing/inducing it. If not, then at least you eliminate a factor.

I roast nuts all the time (they are fabulous). Both peanuts and Almonds have a first-crack of sorts, and then I roast them till they are the right color/aroma.

°

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
JD123

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 5:38am

I think I have it figured out. Last night I did a Sumatra Mandeling roast to City+, and it became very obvious where my aftertaste is coming from since the beans were lighter in color. Turns out I've been tipping about 20-30% of the beans. I made a press-pot this morning, and although it hasn't rested long enough I can definitely now associate that bad aftertaste with scorching/tipping. There are good flavors hiding under this bad aftertaste, so as long as I can prevent tipping I think I'll have a decent cup.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 9:31am

Here's some suggestions:

• Put a lid on it. The roasting 'oven' temperatures need to be in the 450-500F range and doing this in an open bowl with all the heat loss is impossible. Make some kind of lid that allows you to see the beans and stir the beans, and inlet for the heat gun. This will get more even heat to all the beans and not just roast temps on the beans directly under the gun. Your roast quality will improve dramatically with this mod.

• Your times to drying and first crack are fast. This can be done well but requires lots of efficient even heat to the beans. ( something you don't have ...yet) Slow down a bit there, (and adding the lid) to get the beans heated more evenly and avoid the tipping.

• Get a thermometer or 2 in the roaster. One in the beans and one to measure how hot the air hitting the beans from your heat gun. See how this temperature changes as you go from 1 to 4 inches from the nozzle. Get control and monitor of your 'oven temperature' this way.  Keep this below 500F or so; whatever limit that avoids scorching, tipping, and otherwise burning the beans in your roaster. Thermometers will greatly help your quality, consistency, and repeatability.

• With all the effort required to accomplish the above, consider switching your roasting vessel to a bread machine or some such. It provides a platform to stir the beans, insulate and cover the vessel.
JD123

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:13am

This is very helpful information, thank you Frost.  I'll be roasting this weekend and applying your tips, so hopefully I'll have good news to share.
JD123

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 8:45am

Well I'm happy to report that the tips I received helped tremendously. I probably did 6-8 small roasts trying different ways of covering/insulating/etc the bowl, and finally gave up when I took a second look at my tea kettle.

It is an old-school kettle with thick walls and bottom, I figured it may do a better job at providing even, efficient heat to the beans. After a couple small batches I was dialed in already and have ZERO scorching/tipping. The beans are very evenly roasted and after 24 hours I couldn't wait so I made a press pot and had no nasty aftertaste like I did with the bowls.

My new process is like this:

Wrap the tea kettle with a dish towel to provide a bit of insulation.
Preheat the kettle to 300 using low on the gun.
Add beans to kettle and put the gun to the spout of the kettle, keep cover off.
Staying on low, dry for 3-4 minutes while swishing beans in the kettle, switch to high.
Continue swishing beans for the entire roast, color starts at 5-6 minutes.
First crack at 10 minutes (I get a good rolling crack with the tea kettle now)
Finished 1 minute after first crack ended

I used an IR gun throughout the process which helped me understand what was going on, but I'm doing more sight and sound for now since I only have 2 hands.

I really question the true success of people using the heat gun dog bowl method given how sensitive the beans are to scorching. I couldn't be any happier now and I appreciate the help.

JD123: IMG_20140406_105326-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > What am I doing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43140912056)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+