Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Warm Enough To Roast
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Warm Enough To...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 7:08pm
Subject: Warm Enough To Roast

It has been an unforgiving winter. Pro roasters have supplied my needs for the last several months. Finally last week-end it was warm enough (low 60s) to trot out my iron fry pan, wooden spoon and uncover the gas grill. I did 8 oz each of a Columbia Huila and SM Liquid Amber.

It being about three days of rest I did a double on the Lelit and remembered why I bother to do this.

I will not mention the name of the previous pro roast except to say that the only way I could enjoy it was as an Americano.

My home roasted Liquid Amber was, to my taste, far superior, but than as the man said who was caught kissing a cow, "To each his own."

Sky
 View Profile Link to this post
javacrazed
javacrazed
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini...
Grinder: Baratza Forte, Mahlkonig K30...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:53pm
Subject: Re: Warm Enough To Roast

sweet Marisa's Liquid Amber is one of my favorite blends.  Not a fan of some of the workshop ones though....
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 12:03pm

Take a look at the picture next to my profile. It is a DIY stainless steel pot style roaster. I have roasted with it for a full year now in my garage, and I live in Portland Oregon. The roaster goes over a Coleman Perfect Flow single burner camp stove. I have never required more than level 3 (medium) of six possible heat levels to roast up to 300 grams of beans.
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 11:19am

^^^ I would enjoy seeing pictures of your setup.  I clicked on the avatar, and could not see anything.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 10:05pm

Michael LLoyd,

I appreciate your interest. I have hesitated to post pictures of my coffee roaster on this site, as I find that I usually have to edit/crop my pictures due to the data limitations of coffee geek. If you are interested in viewing some shots of the roaster, simply Google the following term: "stainless steel manual roaster". I designed the roaster over a year ago after purchasing a roaster that I found to limiting in size. The roaster I purchased did not have an agitator, and had limited air flow. If you are not able to find my roaster on Google, then do a native search of HB (home barista).

I have recently made what I believe to be my final modification to my roaster a couple of months ago. I simply added four holes to the bottom of the roaster giving me a nice passive airflow through the roaster. I have not documented that on HB.

I only mention HB here as they allow far more data (pictures) to be posted on their site.

TY
Pat Marnell
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Warm Enough To...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243552923203)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+