Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor 1600
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor 1600  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
imager01

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 3:59pm
Subject: Behmor 1600

I have finally decided to take the plunge  and home roast after reading up extensively in the forums. Went shopping for a Behmor 1600 on several sites and everybody is sold out with back in stock notices around the end of April. My question is if anyone knows this being normal (out of stock due to popularity) or if a new model might be coming out. Would appreciate any info
 View Profile Link to this post
ewindisch

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (PID)
Grinder: Super Jolly, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Behmor 1600

I emailed Behmor and received a response today. While they didn't comment on my question of a new model, they did indicate that they're awaiting a shipment and that it may still be a month before distributors have stock!
imager01

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 6:14pm

Thanks for the info...I finally did find one in stock online and went ahead and bought it. Hopefully it won't be an old model in a month!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:54pm

imager01 Said:

Thanks for the info...I finally did find one in stock online and went ahead and bought it. Hopefully it won't be an old model in a month!

Posted April 17, 2014 link

RTFM (Read the Freakin' Manual...LOL), roast smaller batches first to get used to things. You'll easily hear 1st crack, and if you go that far 2nd...which sounds more like rice crispies.
Usually, it's best to anticipate what roast degree you want,and hit the cool button just a wee bit sooner than that, to allow the roast to coast into your target zone.
You'll be there in a very few roasts.

Adequate power for all roasters is important, the 1600 included.
A 120v from the socket is always best, but 118 will be fine. Just expect slightly longer times.
Though Joe recommends 1/4 # roasts to begin with, for grins WEIGH 6.5oz (about 184 grams.). Pre heat the roaster for 1:30. Then insert the drum filled with the beans, then the chaff tray.
Hit 1/2#/P1/B, start and STAY THERE you want to see/smell the changes to the beans. Hopefully at about 9-10 minutes elapsed time, you'll hear the start of first crack.
You're on your own from there. Use your sense of smell and sight. Do not leave the roaster.
Enjoy your Behmor.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
imager01

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 8:48am

IMAWriter...I have been lurking around several forums reading as much as I can to educate myself about the Behmor and different tips and tricks. I also have already downloaded the manual and read it. The roaster should be here by next week and can't wait to try out what i have read. I will definately try what you suggested. I think my 1st roast will be with some El Salvador Natural Buena Vista beans trying for City+. Thanks for the advice as I am sure I will need all I can get!
imager01

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 4:56pm

IMAWriter Said:

RTFM  You'll easily hear 1st crack, and if you go that far 2nd...which sounds more like rice crispies.
Though Joe recommends 1/4 # roasts to begin with, for grins WEIGH 6.5oz (about 184 grams.). Pre heat the roaster for 1:30. Then insert the drum filled with the beans, then the chaff tray.
Hit 1/2#/P1/B, start and STAY THERE you want to see/smell the changes to the beans. Hopefully at about 9-10 minutes elapsed time, you'll hear the start of first crack.

Posted April 17, 2014 link

Ok so I tried my 1st roast today with some Panama Elida Estate beans exactly as you suggested, and it went as follows:
1st crack started at 7:49 min
1st crack stopped not sure when because it seems like it went into 2nd crack right away, somewhere around 9:35.
I stopped roast at 9:45.
I was aiming for city + and think I ended up with full city + if indeed it did go into 2nd crack.

Questions:
Is it common for 1st and 2nd crack back to back with no time between
How long should 1st crack last
Should I try a different profile that ramps up slower since 1st crack happened so quickly. Plus i would like to extend time between 1st and 2nd crack.

Any advice would be appreciated
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 8:58am

Gratz on the first roast. You've just started down the road of experimentation and tweaking that will surely drive you mad. On the upside, you'll have some great coffee along the way.

For profiles, I stick to P2 or P3 most of the time. Here's a layout of the profiles (stolen from Roastmasters.com):

*P1 is 100% power for the full roast. Notation: 100/100

*P2 ramps at 100% for the first 60% of the roasting time, then drops to 70% power for the next 30% of time. Full power for remainder of roast. Notation: 100/60, 70/30, 100/10.

*P3 - A more gradual ramp-up. During the first 20% of time roasts at 70% power; 80% power during next 35% of time; full power during remainder of roast. Notation: 70/20, 80/35, 100/45.

*P4 - Similar to P3. First 30% of time roasts at 70% power; 85% power during next 30% of time; full power during remainder of roast. Notation: 70/30, 85/30, 100/40.

*P5 - Slowest ramp up. Roast time is broken into thirds with 70%, 80% and 95% power supplied in each segment respectively. Notation: 70/33, 80/33, 95/34

For example, I did a roast of 9oz of Nicaraguan last night, set for 1#,P2. I've roasted this bean at this weight enought that I know at full power, it'll hit 1c around the 11 minute mark. The way the power split works for P2, power cuts to 70% at 10 mins 48 seconds into the roast, so just prior to it rolling into 1c. It still has enough thermal momentum that it goes into 1c well, but streches it out to finishing 1c around 14 minutes. Once I hear 1c finish, I hit cool. There is about a 20 second break from end of 1c to start of the first few cracks of 2c. Since the cooling on the 1600 isn't perfect, it can carry into 2c if I don't cool right away.

To get that power drop right where you want it, it's a matter of knowing the bean, doing some math, gaming the machine so the profile settings line up around where you want it. If not, you can always do some door waggling to let out some excess heat if the times dont line up quite right to get it where you want it.
imager01

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 4:52pm

I can already tell this is going to be a journey...but a fun one. Anxious to try the 1st batch I roasted and do some tweaking from there. Next time I will try P2 and hopefully I will have a little more control on stretching out the roast.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor 1600  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267565965652)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+