Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop Alternatives (price increased!)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ewindisch

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (PID)
Grinder: Super Jolly, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 4:18pm
Subject: Hottop Alternatives (price increased!)

I've been looking at a first "real" roaster. I'm dismissing the Behmor and the Gene Cafe over limited control of the roast (in the case of the Behmor) and the heating-element burn-out issues of the GC. That leaves me with the Hottop... or so it did until today.

I was about the bite the bullet on a HT for $820, but it seems that SweetMaria's has suddenly bumped the price up to $1100!

That's way over my budget, but entertaining the idea that I'm over-budget anyway, I'm thinking that new options might present themselves? What other roasters might I be looking for between $1000-1500?
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 4:25pm
Subject: Re: Hottop Alternatives (price increased!)

Ouch. To think I got mine from Michael at HTusa for $650 reconditioned.

Don't fear a used one, I have seen a few in the B/S/T section. They are a machine that anything is replaceable if needed.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 4:47pm

The price increase went into effect yesterday. It does look like a huge jump, but it puts the US more inline with what the rest of the world is paying.  But as Rob stated, used ones do pop up, and virtually any part is available and they are (IMO) easily repaired by any decent DIY sort of person. We also do try to give excellent customer service as well as technical support wherever we can.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 4:47pm

Yikes! So did SCG and roastmasters.com

Glad I got one in January!

The Huky and Quest roasters are often touted. They're a bit more cumbersome but do some things much better.
They're a little bit over $1100, I think. I'm rather shocked they raised the price so much on the Hottop in one swoop. I would think that will majorly dent their sales.
stahlee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 5:35pm

Wow, I didn't see there was price increase coming. I really want one of these, but I think I'll have to go used.
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 7:27am

I was considering a Hottop, but the (original) price was offputting.  It's definitely not happening now.  I imagine that Joe Behm is pleased about this...
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 8:44am

I bought a Hot Top about 2 weeks ago from Sweet Maria's for $820, so I feel lucky.  It's a great machine.  While $820 obviously  is better than $1,100, I think the Hot Top is worth $1,100.  It has taken my roasting to a higher level than a hot air popcorn popper ever could.  Like everything is life, it's a question how much you want to spend for a product.
ewindisch

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (PID)
Grinder: Super Jolly, Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 10:52am

DCcoffeeman Said:

I bought a Hot Top about 2 weeks ago from Sweet Maria's for $820, so I feel lucky.  It's a great machine.  While $820 obviously  is better than $1,100, I think the Hot Top is worth $1,100.  It has taken my roasting to a higher level than a hot air popcorn popper ever could.  Like everything is life, it's a question how much you want to spend for a product.

Posted April 18, 2014 link

Certainly. It isn't even so much a question of if the Hot Top is worth $1100. It's more that the price jump shifts the equation into considering other models. Before, the Hot Top was competing with the Behmor and Gene Cafe.  It was an easy choice for many to spend the extra money on a HotTop when looking at it versus a Gene Cafe (especially considering $75 element replacements).  Today? Breaking the $1000 barrier puts the HotTop in closer range of the Quest Huky, and possibly others under the $2000 mark, especially if one is willing to consider the used market.

I for one am now considering going with the Gene Cafe as I could suddenly afford two for the price of one Hot Top, or spending a tad more for a Sonofresco, Huky, or Quest (obviously pre-owned in the case of the Sonofresco...)
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 12:41pm

Yeah, I've got a hottop and I think it's a great machine and built much better than the Gene, but $1100?  Its build quality seems more like a good toaster oven than a real oven, and I can get an oven for less than $1000....  $1100 would definitely push me towards an alternative that's more like a real drum roaster.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 1:21pm

rmongiovi Said:

Yeah, I've got a hottop and I think it's a great machine and built much better than the Gene, but $1100?  Its build quality seems more like a good toaster oven than a real oven, and I can get an oven for less than $1000....  $1100 would definitely push me towards an alternative that's more like a real drum roaster.

Posted April 18, 2014 link

I have a "real drum roaster" or a commercial drum roaster as I prefer to call it and IMHO the HT is on par with it. Sure it is slower to respond to heat changes and its airflow is not as strong but it also costs 9xs the HT price increase. I think the quest is the only electric machine that came along that can even claim to compete with the HT and while the Huky is probably a great little roaster it is far from plug and play. There are some newer roasters coming to market with larger batch size capabilities but actual price is still up in the air.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326663017273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+