Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Behmor 1600 Plus
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 44 last page next page
Author Messages
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 12:27pm
Subject: New Behmor 1600 Plus

Today at the SCAA show in Seattle, Behmor announced the new Plus roaster.

It looks exactly like the normal 1600 but with a manual mode in addition to the auto mode it currently has.

Basically, choosing the manual mode, you can change the power level from 100% to 75 or 50 or 25 anytime during the roast, and change as often as you like.  There are two temperature readouts, one for the chamber wall and one for the exhaust area.  Drum speed can be toggled from 8 to 16 rpm.  Joe said that a new motor will allow 32 rpm.

The control panel will be available for upgrades soon, so those with a current 1600 don't have to buy a new roaster.  Joe hopes to keep the cost down, I believe below $100, maybe below $75.  

The 1600 Plus price will be a little higher than the present price, probably (I think, anyway) less than $400.  But with the Hottop price jumping a bunch here recently, perhaps all such roasters will jump in price.

With the manual mode, you can set the starting time higher and be assured your roast will finish.  

The 220V versions will get a different looking control panel with the weights in grams (like 200,300,400) or close to that.

Truth statement:  I've been using the beta version of the control panel for some months now and am very pleased with the improved control over the roasts.  The final control panel might have some slight differences.  

Oh, the Brazen also gets some new innards to eliminate the valve glitches.  It will also be called Brazen Plus.

Prof: Joe Behm at SCAA 2014.jpg
(Click for larger image)

LMWDP # 010
 View Profile Link to this post
Delish007

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ms Silvia Auber PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Aeropress if you will
Drip: Capresso MT600
Roaster: Behmor+, Twin 1200W poppers
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 2:30pm
Subject: Re: New Behmor 1600 Plus

Amazing, was almost going to get the old 1600!  When will this be available in Toronto?  When avail in the US? $?
Pics? More info is where? Who hoo!

Scott
MassWineGuy

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 6:27am

This is fantastic. Now I think the 1600 will be the perfect home roaster.
lparsons21

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:12am

I'm really looking forward to the new control panel upgrade becoming available.

Lloyd
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 12:05pm

Oh nice. I have the regular Behmor 1600 on pre-order with roastmasters for around a mid May delivery. I wonder if this will be the 'plus' version or not? Are they going to continue to sell both models? Questions that I hope are answered soon.
roger_s
roger_s

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Isomac...
Grinder: LaPavoni PA-JVD, Nemox,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 1600+, SC/TO
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 3:16pm

Great news!  I just hope my 1600 (hits its 7th birthday this November) can hang together until then.  Still running on the original halogen tubes, the afterburner is long afterburnt and the chaff tray is a multi-colored affair after all of that heat.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 4:17pm

Well, I think that this is terrible news.

Why? Because now I will have no excuse not to get involved in home roasting for real!

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 5:11pm

Joe sure has the habit of making it difficult to resist his awesome product, this improvement has me measuring the real estate for space. By the time it comes to Toronto I may have a good enough sales pitch to the boss hehe or not
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 5:39pm

What I like about the new control panel is that when 1C arrives, the power can instantly be reduced to 75 or 50 (or 25) % to extend the duration of 1C.  

The roasts can now be ended when I want.  So I'm doing more City+ level roasts with good success.

I think the next shipment of roasters will be the PLUS versions, but there are probably some originals still in supply.

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:13pm

sweaner Said:

Well, I think that this is terrible news.

Why? Because now I will have no excuse not to get involved in home roasting for real!

Posted April 26, 2014 link

Scott, it's about time!
My Behmor has nearly 500 roasts on it. Keep it clean, RTFM, use it as intended, it's a lot of bang for the buck. Is it perfect? No, but perhaps no roaster under 2+k probably is.
These new updates sound really interesting, and will obviously expand the usability.

We all have our little "tricks" we employ with our Behmor, whether it's opening the door at one point or other in 1st crack, etc, but it sounds like the updated circuit board may make some of the trickery unnecessary....and even aid in more repeatable roasts, something the 1600 already does pretty well.

Being able to "upgrade" an existing roaster is just so cool.

Curious to hear more.
Thanks Prof for the scoop!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 44 last page next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Behmor 1600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29555106163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+