Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roast logging. How does the Artisan connect to my Poppery
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roast logging....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 4:11am
Subject: Roast logging. How does the Artisan connect to my Poppery

After some thinking, I'm going to put off the idea of upgrading my roaster for a while. I'm getting awesome results (for me) with my current setup (poppery 1, router speed controller, fan dimmer). I would really like to be able to log my roasts on my computer. I downloaded Artisan to my Mac. What in the world do I need to connect to my poppery now? I read a great step by step thing someone wrote but this was with hooking up a PID also and it confused the heck out of me. Can anyone help me out?
 View Profile Link to this post
Butterfinger_414
Butterfinger_414
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja
Grinder: Robur E
Roaster: Popper 1
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 9:43pm
Subject: Re: Roast logging. How does the Artisan connect to my Poppery

Hope this will help

Click Here (m.instructables.com)

Brent *_*
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 6:34pm

Plan on 2 temperature probes to log: Environment Temp ET, and Bean Temp BT.  ET is installed in the bottom of the Popper somewhere to measure the heated air before it hits the bean mass. ET is the 'oven temperature' that you are actually controlling with your router, PID, or Variac. The BT is the 'effect' of ET on the beans over time. ET is at least as important as BT monitor for profile control and in getting consistent and repeatable profile control.

You will find the ET easy to control in 'real time' on a poppery. Adjustments to heater power take effect within a few seconds; there is very little thermal lag in the system. It is possible to do a 'linked temperature' profile where ET 'setpoint' follows BT; BT Rate-of-Rise is dependent on the temperature difference between ET and BT.
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 11:35am

I did see that guys setup that you posted Butterfinger. Trying to understand what he did made my head want to explode.

Frost- I guess what I'm really not understanding is the physical connection to the computer or I pad. Say I were to buy 2 thermocouples. What do they plug into? I'm really just interested in logging my roasts more efficiently and more accurate  than with a pen paper and my Fluke meter TC. I'm only monitoring BT now.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 12:11pm

You need some sort of interface between the thermocouple and your computer.  

Artisan is designed to work with a bunch of them.  One really popular option is to plug the probes into a stand-alone data logging thermometer with USB output, and plug the thermometer (via USB, natch) into the computer.  

The two I've seen used most often are the Amprobe TMD 56 and Omega HH806AU (I have both).  They function more or less identically, but the Amprobe is quite a bit less expensive and the Omega more rugged.

Another option, becoming increasingly popular since last year's interruption in TC-4 supply, is the Phidget 1048_0 thermometer board.  The Phidget has neither a built in display nor stand alone data logging capacity -- but you don't need them.  For another couple of hundred, Phidget will sell you an SBC board and USB -> WiFi adapter allowing you to go wireless with Artisan if you want.

It's all a little daunting til you get it worked out, then it seems ridiculously simple.

If I were starting from scratch, and didn't need stand alone thermometers for other purposes (like barbecue), I'd probably go Phidget because it's a tidier installation.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 5:11pm

Thank you so much Rich. It all makes a bit more sense now. I've been looking into the Amprobe, Omega, and the Phidget for the last hour or so and I think the Amprobe might be it for me. I can't spend a fortune on this thing right now and it sounds pretty simple to get up and running on my Macbook. You BBQ Rich?  I have a Weber Bullet and Guru controller. I used to be crazy about it a couple years ago. Then my wife and I bought a house that needed major renovations (its pretty much consumed my life lol)  and I just haven't made any time for BBQing.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 5:25pm

Goldensncoffee Said:

You BBQ Rich?  I have a Weber Bullet and Guru controller. I used to be crazy about it a couple years ago.

Posted June 1, 2014 link

Yes.  Not that equipment matters, but we have a 4' "Santa Maria" style cooker for grilling, and (with the lid on) for hot or cold smoking; and a Fat Boy we use for low and slow.

Then my wife and I bought a house that needed major renovations (its pretty much consumed my life lol)  and I just haven't made any time for BBQing.

Know how that works.  Sometimes it's not just "too busy," either.  It's just the normal ebb and flow of interest.  But when push comes to shove and the weather gets hot, it's so much nicer to cook outside.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
trueQness

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 4:39pm

Goldensncoffee, I'd be interested in seeing some of your profiles for ethiopians.  I have a modified popper with independent heat and fan control.  I'm trying to get a bright cup with an Ethiopian Sidamo.  What does your ramp up to FC look like and when do you hit FC?  What is your typical drop time?
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 5:10pm

trueQness Said:

Goldensncoffee, I'd be interested in seeing some of your profiles for ethiopians.  I have a modified popper with independent heat and fan control.  I'm trying to get a bright cup with an Ethiopian Sidamo.  What does your ramp up to FC look like and when do you hit FC?  What is your typical drop time?

Posted June 9, 2014 link

I'm not sure I'm the right person you want to ask as I'm very new to roasting :-) I've only roasted a couple Ethiopians. I will say they very good...I've only had one pro-roasted Kaffa before so I don't have a lot to compare my roasts to. Right now I do (try to do) very basic 4-4-4 profiles or close to that. Most of my roasts end around 12-13 mins. I will vary finish temps and cup the roasts and compare what I'm tasting in a lighter, medium, darker roast (never beyond first signs of 2C). One piece of advise I can give is to make sure your roaster is preheated. The first roast is always tough for me to try and follow a profile.
So what kind of controls do you have on your popper? How are you currently roasting your Ethiopians? Is there something your not liking about your current roasts?
trueQness

Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 7:54pm

I have not be terribly impressed with my results.  I use a Gene Cafe mostly and can't get great roasts out of that machine either.  I like the popper because of control but batches are too small.  I drink a lot of counter culture coffee at a local coffee shop and now I'm spoiled.  I want results that taste like that but they elude me!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roast logging....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283386945724)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+