Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Why the manual says to never leave a roaster unattended
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Why the manual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 10:03pm
Subject: Why the manual says to never leave a roaster unattended

Well, it wasn't quite as dramatic as the Subject seems, but this morning I took my 10yo and 10week old German Shepherds for a walk on our property. The little guy is still learning the place and gaining confidence, but there are things with which he is still not comfortable  When we got back to the house I put them in my little station wagon (back seat down)  in the garage and started up the Hottop and my laptop to roast on my workbench. The little guy was not happy in the car even though I was talking to him (and I had all the windows down and a fan blowing through the car). he got nervous and was looking like he would crawl out the window, so rather than risk his being injured I put a blanket down on the slab and let him lie behind me with his older compatriot. He came over and snuggled up with me in between my attempting to monitor the roast. It did not go well. The dog was fine. The roast- well, we will see in a day or two. It started out by me missing the drop point and starting mush hotter than usual. Then I double clicked the "Add Beans" tab and it marked the start of first. Because I am using a computer controlled roaster, it went through the post-first changes to heat and fan that I had to manually undo each time. He finally snuggled up with my big boy, using his thigh as a pillow. Usually I get about a 14:30 city+/full city, but this one went full city in about 13 minutes iirc. The dog is fine and he had a great day. The coffee? I have much higher hopes for the pup!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 6:50am
Subject: Re: Why the manual says to never leave a roaster unattended

Randy, do you have a picture of the pup you can post?  Are you teaching him German commands?  We have had our GSD for 4 years now, since he was 8 weeks old.  We taught him all the German commands.  We also have a border collie (10 years old), and he caught on to the German commands also.  We consider him to be bilingual.  LOL

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 8:26am

Do I have a picture!? HA - a couple of hundred so far!
He is papered, and his Dad is going for his Grand Champion rating. We figure he will be in the 110-115 range when full grown. The breeder stated that the AKC is (finally) going back to the original standards for GSDs- larger dogs and she breeds towards that. He is quite intellegent as would be expected. Each morning (keeping things on subject) while we have our coffee, the dogs get biscuits. I always call out "Coffee" to Val to let her know the cap's are ready. This morning I did while standing at the coffee cart and he walked to the spot next to my chair where I feed him his treats and sat down and waited for me (He is only 10 weeks and 3 days old!). This photo was taken about 10 days ago when he was 9 weeks old. At 10 weeks (last Saturday) he weighed 22.4 pounds.
His registered name: Mister Maximum Mojo. To us he is "Mojo."

frcn: Mojo_web4538.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 2:00pm

"Herr Maximum Mojo" meet "Herr Kaiser vom Nordostenhaus"!

Mojo is going to be a big GSD.  Our Kaiser is 4 now and weights approx 90 lb.  We keep him lean and feed him totally homemade food. He is a Bicolor working line from a local breeder that trains for schutzhund.  I did not think we would ever have a dog that would top the border collie for smarts, but he has.  Picture below was when his ears fully stood up (can't remember how old).

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: kaiser040510a.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 8:20am

Huge dog lover, but I am going to address only the unattended coffee roaster. I own an all electric Torrefattore, which is capable of roasting a kilo of beans. On this particular day I was roasting a pound of some El Salvadorian Bourbon. I roast in the garage with the door open, and run inside to get items that I usually forget like a corning ware bowl to put the roasted beans in. As I was passing the TV I noted the Family Feud was on and the question was "What part of a woman's body are bigger than a mans" Well the family was giving the standard answers like butt, breasts and such, and Steve Harvey (host) was having a blast with this question. When a woman answered "brain", that as Steve Harvey put it, ruined his buzz. Well she was correct, and the family won the round.

When I got outside, my roaster was puffing smoke like a locomotive. I knew I was in trouble, so I put something fireproof under the bean shute and opened it. When the beans hit the open air they burst into flames. The beans were like a slurry, almost like black bean soup. It took me a minute to contain the fire, but the roaster was fine. I just wonder how much longer I had before the roaster would have caught fire internally.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Why the manual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238520860672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+