Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Anyone ever disabled the thermostat on a turbo crazy?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone ever...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TeddyMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 8:05am
Subject: Anyone ever disabled the thermostat on a turbo crazy?

I've had no luck getting my turbo to work successfully. The convection top seems to be under powered, and the heat clicks off very easily and the beans just stall. I think I may have hit first crack once, but it was a sputter rather than a roll. I've tried 6- to 10-oz batches, and I've used a variable voltage regulator (aka variac) with a Kill-a-Watt to ensure that there's 120v going into the roast. I've tried using the turbo to raise the heat steadily, and I've tried cranking it at max the whole way with a 400 degree preheat before the charge.

What I'd like to do is disable the thermostat and use the variac to steer the roast. My hope is that this would allow the heating element to stay on as the power to the turbo is increased or kept steady. And no worries, while I'm aware of the potential fire hazard, I've never once walked away from a roast!

Has anyone done this? And if so, are there any instructions out there? I've google'd this so much that I've practically worn out the internet, though there's always the possibility that I missed a key element in the search criteria, so I'm turning to you folks for a how-to.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm so jealous of all the great testimony I read here about turbo roasts, and I'm disappointed that it's not yet worked for me. I'm open to ways of trying to fix the turbo before fiddling with it, but I've read and searched everything I could find here on the forum about improving the turbo's performance, and nothing has seemed to work for me.

(I forgot to mention, I'm using a HomeTrends 1250w convection top.)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 9:46am
Subject: Re: Anyone ever disabled the thermostat on a turbo crazy?

I have no experience or knowledge of the HomeTrends but I have "modded" the Sunpentown. The thermostat and power switch have both gone out on me over the years. I replaced the power switch with a standard toggle switch and by-passed the thermostat. I have had no problem with it but won't guess as to the build quality of the Hometrends in comparison.

Doing it was a bit of a PITA. working from the bottom and carefully taking it apart piece by piece up thru the top. Making note of where the wires went that I disconnected as I went. The nut on the fan was reverse thread.

The Sunpentown is 1200 watt and I've never had a problem getting enough heat out of it. Someone over on H-B was having that problem as well though and keeps the heat on on the stir crazy to add the extra heat he needs.

Hope this helps,
Ron
TeddyMac

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop, Hario...
Drip: Hario woodneck, Bona-Vita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 6:20am

Thanks, Ron. I know what you mean about the PITA factor. I just dipped my toe into the DIY waters and realized that even the first layer to remove has a hidden layer, a set of 5 screws obscured under little, round gaskets. If that's only the first layer, this may require more patience than I'm capable of. I'll open it up a little further, but in the end I may just decide to sell the gizmo.

I'll look at the H-B site to see what others' experiences are. I may need to re-connect the stir crazy heat, though some folks have reported that it doesn't make much of a difference for them.

Thanks again, and I'll remember to make notes about where the wires go as I disconnect them. Hadn't thought about that crucial bit!
walkinghispath

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Kitchenaid Pro Line (PID'd),...
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line (Mazzer...
Drip: Krups grind and brew for the...
Roaster: Dog bowl and a heat gun
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 5:05pm

My first roasting adventure was a turbo crazy but my turbo oven mounted in a clear plastic housing, not a glass one.  It just wouldn't get hot enough so I bypassed the thermostat and tried again.  I managed to get the beans roasted but I melted the drive shaft of the stir crazy and melted the turbo oven enclosure.  I still have the heating element part (it survived the heat) so I plan to get some sheet metal and try again someday.  The moral of the story is, if you bypass the thermostat, things melt, use metal stuff.
Armbie

Espresso: Krupps "steam toy"
Grinder: cheapo electric blade
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:12am

I had the same problem as you and ended up removing the thermostat. Now the turbo oven lid goes full bore when on. What I did to control power/temperature is leave the thermostat connecting wires sticking out one of the ventilation slots in the top of the lid. I always meant to at least get a switch but never did. I do have greater ambitions of hooking up an Arduino with a thermocouple and controlling the power with that thermostat connection. I have all the hardware, Just can't find the time. For now I just manually short the wire together at three, four or five minute intervals to control the roast. Works well enough for me but it's a very ghetto method :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone ever...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218114852905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+