Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roasting CoE El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduran Samples in a HT.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting CoE El...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 1:03am
Subject: Roasting CoE El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduran Samples in a HT.

So. It's been a while since I pulled the Hottop Profile roaster out. I've got a bunch of CoE coffee samples as well as some private lot samples (including the full offering from El Injerto! woo hoo!) and I may need  a slight refresher on using the hottop profile roaster. Any recommendations on my run through profile doing these 250g samples?

It'll probably come back to me as soon as I dust things off (and I plan on doing a few test roasts of other centrals first before diving into the CoEs and El Injertos), but what say you all?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 6:43am
Subject: Re: Roasting CoE El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduran Samples in a HT.

You have 250g total, each?

Are you using real time TCs and real time temp display (per Artisan for example)?

The problem with roasting lots so small they're barely a sweet spot load to begin with is that they don't allow you enough to do a defects, characteristics/sample roast, a roast milestone roast, and then put together an good, initial profile based on the coffee's personality.  

If you're going to try an all purpose profile for SHB centrals, you're going to have to decide on whether you're going to brew -- which probably means finishing just past C and barely into C+; or whether you're going to pull espresso -- which means at the very end of C++ and possibly flirting with FC/onset of 2d C.  There's a third alternative, which is trying to hit an "all purpose level" at C+/C++

In my experience, most SHB Centrals benefit from a fairly low Charge temp, an unhurried Dry, a faster Ramp, and a slowish Development.  When roasting blind, I shoot for 6:30, 4, and 3:15 - 4 (depending on brew or espresso).  

If any of your beans are DP, Naturals or Honeys, you want a very conservative Charge temp.  I almost always Charge at the same temp (300F), because (a) I do a lot of those, and it's a good habit; (b) It's safe and never gives me tipping or scorching; and (b) I'm not going for huge brightness anyway.    

As  educated guesses:  If 1stCs is 386F - 389F, guess that 1stCe, a bare C finish, will be around 408; 420 - 422 for C+/C++; and 430F for first snaps of 2dCs, FC.  

I'd anticipate 1stCs and start dialing back the heat and cranking fan at around 365F.  You'll see an deflection in the RoR as endothermia ends during rolling 1st.  Keep your eye on it, and if it falls below 6F/min, you can try dialing up the heater to prevent a stall.  If RoR falls below 2F/min at any time during Development -- just drop wherever you are.  

It seems like a lot of guys in the HT threads try to jam as many beans as possible into the drum.  It's been awhile since I used an HT, but always thought it worked a lot better with 215 - 230g charges than full 250g in terms of "agility."    

Good luck,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting CoE El...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256675958633)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+