Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
The Exothermic Headache (Solved)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > The Exothermic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
RayTCoffeePro
RayTCoffeePro
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 3:44am
Subject: The Exothermic Headache (Solved)

At the end of roasting green coffee beans, it becomes exothermic (gives off heat) , Without proper cooling it will roast even when its removed from the drum.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a highly ventilated cooling method?

Thanks,

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 6:02am
Subject: Re: The Exothermic Headache

I cool my beans in two ways, depending on the roaster I have used:

Gene Cafe.  I use the "E" stop, pull the beans.  Dump into a colander which is screwed into a 5-gallon bucket.  The bucket is attached to a $25 shop vac which cools the beans to room temp in 60 seconds.

RK Drum.  I assembled a simple 24" by 24" wood frame with a screen on its base.  I lay that on top of a $15 box fan and away we go.  Ambient temp in about 90 seconds (2.5 lbs of beans).

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 8:09am

Home Roasting Supplies- the FreshRoast people- have one I've been tempted to buy even though my five Gal. bucket/shop vac. work just fine... Just because it looks so good. And it's made in the USA!

Click Here (homeroastingsupplies.com)

I can't speak for it's efficiency as I haven't used it though.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 11:11am

The first exothermic period begins just before 1stCs (1st Crack Start) and ends at some point during rolling first.  Assuming you roast to City or darker, it's over long before Drop.  

The second exothermic period begins with 2dCs, at around FC (full City).  Once extothermia begins, cooling the beans will not quickly end it because it's caused by an internal chemical reaction and not by heat.  

However, as a rough rule of thumb, and up to the point where your blowing so much air through them that you're drying them out, the quicker you cool your beans post Drop the better.  

Rich
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 10:17am

Along the line of what BoldJava posted, I have a commercial roaster and a DIY stainless steel pot roaster. Neither of them are equipped with a method to cool the beans. The Torrefattore commercial roaster was made in 2005, and the manual instructs you to turn the cyclone fan on when you reach the end of the roast. This is a classic exothermic headache, as it took five minutes to cool the beans to 100C. I only tried it once.

I manufactured a cooling frame, which I have pictured below. My design allows for the beans to be cooled in less then one minute. It has two drawbacks I should mention. It is not for indoor use as the large room fan will instantly disperse the remaining chaff from the beans. In my case they just blow out into my driveway, never to be seen again. Lastly, if you don't already own a large fan, then you have to purchase one.

The frame is any wood of your choice, and the screen is aluminum screen door material.

I will make another frame out of three inch tall material next time, as I have to be very careful with the room fan, as it can blow beans over the frame and onto the floor.

OregonCityMan: DSC03238.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 5:12pm

boar_d_laze Said:

The first exothermic period begins just before 1stCs (1st Crack Start) and ends at some point during rolling first.  Assuming you roast to City or darker, it's over long before Drop.  

The second exothermic period begins with 2dCs, at around FC (full City).  Once extothermia begins, cooling the beans will not quickly end it because it's caused by an internal chemical reaction and not by heat.  

Posted June 8, 2014 link

I have only ever heard of one exothermic event during coffee roasting: during first crack. Per this excellent reference by Carl Staub, second crack is a breakdown and destruction of the bean cell structure, but is not exothermic.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roast.carlstaub.html

The next exothermic event after first crack would then have to be combustion.....
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:08pm

The second step is followed by a short endothermic period which is followed by another exothermic step called the second crack.  This second pyrolysis occurs between 225-230C, and the roast color is defined as medium-dark brown (Agtron #50-45) (Davids, 68-69).  The second pop is much quicker sounding and the beans take on an oily sheen.

cf Coffee Research; and of course, Home Coffee Roasting, Kenneth Davids

Rich
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:34pm

OregonCityMan Said:

The frame is any wood of your choice, and the screen is aluminum screen door material.

Posted June 9, 2014 link

Will any canola oil do?

Jim
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 6:00am

Cooler = 5x5x2 Schedule 40 tee + shop vac

oldgearhead: CoffeeCooler3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
RayTCoffeePro
RayTCoffeePro
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 2:39am

Thanks guys, though i would try with the method of using a mason jar and submerging it in cold water.

Highly ventilated means more air, So yeah oxidization wise i should try the mason jar trick.

(I was told by a local roaster that there should be no air contact when cooking).

(EDIT: Worked well, I know it's insane and unlikely, Just look at my latest post)

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > The Exothermic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328057050705)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+