Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
BT stalling when attempting longer dry times, big deal?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > BT stalling when...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Vac Pot: Chemex, Aeropress
Roaster: Mod. P1
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 3:03am
Subject: BT stalling when attempting longer dry times, big deal?

Equipment: P1, router controller, kill-a-watt meter, fan dimmer, fluke BT probe only

I was recently attempting a 5 min dry time on SM's current Yirgacheffe Aricha. I started the pre-heated roaster at 800w. I dropped 115g of greens in. Here's what the profile looked like
3:00 283
4:00 285
5:00 285 (Ramp to 1100watts starts now)
6:00 303
7:00 325
8:00 345
9:00 364
10:00 384 (10:40 BT 394 1C)
11:00 398
12:00 407
13:00 410 Finish

I haven't tasted the coffee yet because I wanted to let it rest. How bad is a BT stall when drying? I believe I've read about stalls being really bad. Should I start at a lower wattage, say 700 and slowly ramp to 800? Any advice you all can give me is greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 12:21pm
Subject: Re: BT stalling when attempting longer dry times, big deal?

I'll bet the coffee is great! I didn't see anything to worry it. Although 30 seconds quicker to first crack, and a 12 minute finish, might be slightly better
but I doubt it...
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 1:06pm

As long as there is enough moisture left for a healthy first crack, I guess you are ok, ...but why?  What is the benefit of spending 2 minutes at 285F?

Always keep the roast moving forward. Maybe 'old school' now; Complete the roast as fast as possible and with the least amount of heat possible.  Obvious paradox and balance required. (...maybe what's new is already old again)

Once you approach drying temps, Keep the rate of rise between 20-30F per minute until first crack. If you want to slow drying, do 20F per minute between 260-300F. AT 3 minute, 383F, You are easy to complete drying at 4 minutes.  Are the beans evenly yellowed now? Start browning without delay. Don't send all the fruit aroma up the chimney.

As first crack starts, slow rate of rise to 7-10F per minute for light to medium roast.

The Aricha is a ripe clean fruity DP coffee. If you want to show this character best, move towards a faster and lighter roast to better preserve this character. There is no 'funk' (at least not in my 10lbs) that needs to be cooked out, and there is not a problem of under-ripes either.
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 4:32pm

Frost, I'm really glad you replied. You always have some great advice for me that always seems to work. The only reason I was stretching the dry time was because of what I read over at HB. I usually start my ramp to 1C at 3:00. Thats interesting that you didn't experience any funk. I can't wait to try mine. Tomorrow will be 4 days post roast. Next batch I will certainly try my normal dry time.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014, 8:48pm

By all means, try everything. IMO 'slow start' profile does not go so well with high air flow as in a low flow drum.
Turnaround, rate of rise is just faster due to heat transfer with high air flow. This tends to put you already a minute ahead before drying even starts. It helps to have some humidity in the air too. I think dew point at least 40-50F helps air roasters from drying the beans too much.

Get yourself an ET probe on the Popper and it will make your profile control so much easier and predictable.
Then you can set any RoR you want and hit your finish time/temp repeatably.  The Router controller and watt meter is only indirectly connected to BT behavior.

With the Aricha my next waiting batch is 3.5/3/3.5 City+. If all is well I will next dare to do 3.5/3/3 City+.
I takes a few weeks to get dialed in this way. We have grown tired of drinking my 'experiments' so I start more conservative now and work slowly creeping towards the inside edge. (The only way to find that edge is to go too far....)  It's been a long time since I roasted a bean in less than 10 minutes.

Have fun exploring this excellent bean.
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014, 2:49am

I will hopefully have an ET probe in this thing soon. I've been looking to hook up to Artisan to log my roasts. I think the Amprobe might be the way to go for me. I just have to save a few bucks to get one....I keep spending all my coffee budget on beans. I have 7 pounds of Aricha to play with so hopefully I can get good profile nailed before I run out of beans.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > BT stalling when...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237010955811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+