Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Rk Drum Setup
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coltrane_fan

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: 4 Lb. Buzzroaster
Posted Tue Aug 3, 2004, 3:26am
Subject: Re: New Rk Drum Setup

Looks great! I hope to be using a Buzzroaster in a Weber soon.

That is when I finally get my drum...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2004, 7:28am

Just got my 57 RPM gear motor set up and roasted a two pound test batch a blend of 1 1/2#s Sulawesi Toraja and a 1/2# Monsooned Malabar. The gear motor was a little louder then my 6 RPM motor but I still did not have a problem hearing the cracks. My roast time was cut by about two minutes so I will have to adjust my temperature. I did get a nice even roast and almost no chaff when I dumped the beans in my Shop vac/bucket cooler.
I still have a few fine adjustments to make need to pick up some shims to get everything squared up. Next I will have o try a 4# batches.

George

TheArtfuldodger: More--Power.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
brokencup
brokencup
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2004, 8:30am

Don't forget the consumers report on the RK when you get a chance.

Good roasting!

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Dwight
Dwight

Espresso: Livia 90 (PID'd it)
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Roaster: RK Drum / 2 HWP's
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2004, 9:14pm

Well I'm envious.   Nice set up.  I've been looking at the RK set up as well as the Buzz.    I purchased some beans that are extremely small in size and wondered about the hole size on the RK versus the Buzz.    I must admit the door on the end of the unit, like the RK is very appealing.  

I roast with the ceramic cubes on my gill with no metal shield between and it seems to work well.  

I still have to get used to larger batch sizes and not cutting the roast too short.   It would be so nice to have a heat resistant wireless camera inside the roaster  sending a real time up-date to my computer screen.    My home built unit - is completely enclosed so I have no visual cue at all.  One more reason to upgrade to a Rk or Buzz unit some day in the not too distant future.  I must admit I'm tempted to drill a million holes in my ice cream bucket to get it to be more like a Buzz or RK drum.... etc.

Regards,
Dwight
 View Profile Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Thu Sep 2, 2004, 5:23am

Dwight Said:

Well I'm envious.   Nice set up.  I've been looking at the RK set up as well as the Buzz.    I purchased some beans that are extremely small in size and wondered about the hole size on the RK versus the Buzz.

Posted September 1, 2004 link

I've not had any problem with the hole size of the RK. I've roasted Yemen, Tarazu Peaberry, and Kona Peaberry with out any beans getting stuck in the holes.
I'm back to zero in developing a roast profile since the motor change decrease my roast time by about two minutes. So I'll have to decrease my temperature to increase my roast time. Won't mind saving on the propane.
I'm curious about the door operation on the Buzz I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the two roasters.

George
poison
poison

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 3:14pm

Hey, Artfuldodger, maybe you can help here.

I have snooped around on both the Buzz and RK websites and forums. I would like some recommendations as to which grill and which rotisserie motor to use, but strangely enough, there is zero info on both sites. I would think there would be some good opinions out there (case in point: Jason at the Coffee Emergency told me that he had to modify the gas valve on his grill to allow for more BTU's. I would like to avoid that if possible...).

Is your grill sufficient? Would more BTU's be easier or better?

Thanks!

Nate
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 3:34pm

Nate,

I'm using a Char-briol LP7000 it is a 35,000 BTU grill. I have no problem getting 500+ degrees. For the first month I used the standard 6 RPM motor. Since then I purchased a 57 RPM motor from Ron Kyle.
I did not roast more then 2 pounds at a time with the six RPM motor. I did get nice even roast with the six RPM motor. I just not sure how long it would last. Someone else may be able to help you there.
The 57 RPM motor really slings the beans around. Almost all the chaff is removed during roasting. Thats not the case with the six RPM motor.

George
poison
poison

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 5:37pm

You dirty bean-slinger, you...! Ha, ha!

Just kidding. So is the new motor too fast ie does it turn so fast that the beans are plastered and don't tumble? It doesn't seem that 57 RPM's would be, but...?

And also, how much smoke is there for a 4 lb batch of full city (say, just at the start of the second crack)?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

Nate
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 6:16pm

poison Said:

You dirty bean-slinger, you...! Ha, ha!

Just kidding. So is the new motor too fast ie does it turn so fast that the beans are plastered and don't tumble? It doesn't seem that 57 RPM's would be, but...?

And also, how much smoke is there for a 4 lb batch of full city (say, just at the start of the second crack)?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

Nate

Posted September 27, 2004 link

The 57 RPM motor does a real good job. The beans make a little more noise turning at that speed. But I haven't had a problem hearing the cracks.
Smoke you bet. A good bit; but not nearly as much as when I'm using my smoker grill to cook on. Ron Kyle recomended that you not roast over two pounds with the standard motor. I was happy with the results of the standard motor. Just wanted to do larger batches.
I remember a thread where someone was talking about using a hand crank. A think a foot pumped crank would be ok.
poison
poison

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 7:14pm

TheArtfuldodger Said:

The 57 RPM motor does a real good job. The beans make a little more noise turning at that speed. But I haven't had a problem hearing the cracks.
Smoke you bet. A good bit; but not nearly as much as when I'm using my smoker grill to cook on. Ron Kyle recomended that you not roast over two pounds with the standard motor. I was happy with the results of the standard motor. Just wanted to do larger batches.
I remember a thread where someone was talking about using a hand crank. A think a foot pumped crank would be ok.

Posted September 27, 2004 link

For those bikers out there, I'm sure something could be worked out with your bike, a trainer, and an extra chain: get your exercise and roast coffee too!

Wow, smoke. Hmm. My backyard is tight, about 30-35 feet wide, and the neighbors are right there on the other side on both sides. I wonder if it would bother them if I roasted a lot...?

Nate
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359850168228)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+