Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Rawman's Buzzroast setup
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Rawman's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Rawman
Rawman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 2:46pm
Subject: Rawman's Buzzroast setup

Anyone interested in seeing my buzzroaster set up,  I finally have some pictures posted Click Here.  

Check out the rolling pin handles.  I have had no problems grabbing this thing with oven mit or even bare hand.

I was also thinking about getting one of these Click Here and look at the Temperature Control Thermostat , but I'm not really sure if it's neccessary to control the temperature.
Let me know what you all think about any of it.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 3:36pm
Subject: Re: Rawman's Buzzroast setup

Nice.... (very Mr. Wizardish....)

How would you go about getting a repeatable roast profile with this type of roasting device....

the beans that you roasted look pretty good ... (since my mishap I have been taking your advice and using my Fresh Roast again... it has been a fun little experience...as I long for Hot Top back..)

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 4:15pm

espressoDOM Said:

Nice.... (very Mr. Wizardish....)

How would you go about getting a repeatable roast profile with this type of roasting device....

Posted September 27, 2004 link

I think it is important to have a good thermometer and keep good notes. I find wind to be a bit of a problem. I've been sitting my grill just inside my garage to try to cut the cross winds down.
My roast times have been really constant. When I upgraded to a 57 RPM motor I was able to cut my temperatures a few degrees.

George
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Huminie
Huminie

Espresso: Maybe Someday
Grinder: KitchenAide/Zass On Loan
Vac Pot: Corning Pyrexware c1960
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC-Bodum FP
Roaster: AirPopper-7 Various ~sigh~
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 8:28pm

Thank you for the pics/info.  I would love to see a parts list, and I would like to see this in action some day.

Once I have mastered my poppers, I envision this as my next step in roasting.  I already have a grill (a hefty Weber), so this seems like a natural way to go.  I like the idea of being able to roast 3-5lbs in a half hour! LOL  And I can see myself supplying friends/family/co-workers with great coffee.  I just can't share with the small output of my poppers!

I think it will be a while yet, but it will happen some day.
Huminie
Huminie

Espresso: Maybe Someday
Grinder: KitchenAide/Zass On Loan
Vac Pot: Corning Pyrexware c1960
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC-Bodum FP
Roaster: AirPopper-7 Various ~sigh~
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 8:55pm

Oh ya...and I would also like to know if the 2x6 your motor and switch are attached to is then attached to your BBQ.  My weber has the plasticy work surface and I am not real interested in messing with my beautiful BBQ! LOL
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 9:12pm

Rawman,
Are you using your set up exclusivly for coffee roasting(I can't view your pic's at work)? I just bought a cheap char-broil to convert. I don't think my wife would have liked me hacking my $500.00 coleman.
George
Rawman
Rawman

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 9:17pm

Huminie,  http://www.surpluscenter.com
5-1183 57 RPM 115 VAC JAPAN SERR
1-1231 BUNA-N INSERT FOR L-050 NG
1-2334 7/16" L-050 LOVEJOY HALF
1-1228 3/8" L-050 LOVEJOY HALF

The parts list was suggested here in the forums and works perfectly. Check here:  "Alpen-Grill 1lb success!"  (Thanks texinga).

Do some searches for gear motor, bbq drum,  or surplus center, and you will find a lot of info around here.

As for the heat, This is a CharBroil Masterflame 9000.   I don't know the BTU rating but with both burners on I can easily get a reading of 550 on that thermometer.  The issue I had was that I stuck my thermocouple (this type here:  in there with a reading of 450 on the grill thermometer and the thermocouple read MUCH higher.  In fact the sheathing on the probe started smoking and got slightly discolored.  I forget what that probe is rated at..   I'm thinking it is a lot hotter than that thermometer reads.    I got a new Fluke bead probe with a teflon coating but this one says not to go over 500 degrees or the teflon will emit a toxic chemical.  Not what I want in my beans.    

I have notes but my roasts have been anywhere from 9 to 11 minute first crack, and 12-16 minute second crack.  I will track and see if I can come up with any way to profile.  What I really need is a way to monitor bean temperatures.  The drum spins so it's not that easy.  I'm considering a datalogger attached to the handle but need a high temp probe and the set up seems expensive so far.

AKA the Original Jon R.
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 9:30pm

Rawman,
Are you using the stock thermometer that came on your grill? I mounted a thermometer behind the handle on mine, its dead center to the drum top to bottom/ right to left. It is shield by the diffuser. I think the readings you get on your thermometer will vary greatly depending on its position in the grill.

It would be nice to measure the bean mass temperature. I havenít come up with a way to do it yet.

George
Rawman
Rawman

Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:01pm

Huminie Said:

Oh ya...and I would also like to know if the 2x6 your motor and switch are attached to is then attached to your BBQ.  My weber has the plasticy work surface and I am not real interested in messing with my beautiful BBQ! LOL

Gravity does a fine job of holding it in place.  The 2X6 (which was originally just to test the motor but since it works fine will stay for a while) is just sitting there.

TheArtfuldodger Said:

Rawman,
Are you using your set up exclusivly for coffee roasting(I can't view your pic's at work)? I just bought a cheap char-broil to convert. I don't think my wife would have liked me hacking my $500.00 coleman.
George

Nah I'm still using it for food too..  I have not made any mods to the grill itself except for taking out the flavor bar and adding the above the flame rock grate with the Char-Diamonds.  This actually helped the cooking by evening out the heat.  

TheArtfuldodger Said:

Rawman,
Are you using the stock thermometer that came on your grill? I mounted a thermometer behind the handle on mine, its dead center to the drum top to bottom/ right to left. It is shield by the diffuser. I think the readings you get on your thermometer will vary greatly depending on its position in the grill.
It would be nice to measure the bean mass temperature. I havenít come up with a way to do it yet.
George

The stock thermometer is still in it's original location mid way up the top of the grill in the front center.  This didn't look like the right place for me to measure temps so I stuck a 20 dollar Char-Broil grill thermometer in a pre existing hole in the grill.   The tip of the thermometer is toward the bottom of the grill, just a few inches from where the drum is.  There's a picture posted when you are able to check it out..

AKA the Original Jon R.
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 4:06am

I'm using a Tel-Tru thermometer that's very good quality, under $20 and reads up to 1000F.  Here's a quick thread that I posted a while back with more info and links:

Grill Thermometer

The Tel-Tru is the best Grill Thermometer I've seen and I'm very pleased with it's performance.  Another plus is that you can order it in different stem lengths to get the end close to the drum.  I've found that my grill (with both burners on high) can reach over 800F.  This thermometer is sensitive enough that I can easily see quick changes in temp.  Compared to the one I'd previously bought at Home Depot, this one has more range, better sensitivity and reads above 550F.  With my setup, I try to keep the grill temp around 600F and adjust the burners when it starts to head north of 650F.

Rick

PS Rawman:  Your welcome...glad to know that the info was of some use to you.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Rawman's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355395078659)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+