Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New Rk Drum Setup
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: New Rk Drum Setup

poison Said:

Wow, smoke. Hmm. My backyard is tight, about 30-35 feet wide, and the neighbors are right there on the other side on both sides. I wonder if it would bother them if I roasted a lot...?

Nate

Posted September 27, 2004 link

I just got my neighbors hooked on my home roast. They already loved my cooking.
Roasting four pounds at a time makes it easy to keep friends family and co-works supplied with your home roast.

George
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
brokencup
brokencup
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 7:30pm

poison Said:

You dirty bean-slinger, you...! Ha, ha!

Just kidding. So is the new motor too fast ie does it turn so fast that the beans are plastered and don't tumble? It doesn't seem that 57 RPM's would be, but...?

And also, how much smoke is there for a 4 lb batch of full city (say, just at the start of the second crack)?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

Nate

Nate,

Check out the chart that I 'borrowed' from Andy Schecter. The drum diameter is 8 inches so 94 rpm is the sticking speed.

See also http://rkdrums.com/products.htm note the motor for sale there.

Bob

brokencup: Drum Roasters RPM Chart.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2004, 8:29pm

I have the exact same motor.  I got it on www.surpluscenter.com for about 40 bucks including the lovejoys and shipping.  Here is a picture of it in case anyone missed it on the other other thread I posted.  It didn't take too long to put together.  The beans sling around quite a bit in there.  I do not see any problems of beans plastered to the sides.  I thought of a hand crank, and a foot pump, and also considered a sprocket and chain setup but I decided I wanted to be able to step away to answer the phone or something without ruining a batch.  (Note that does not mean this is set and forget method.  It's not).   That was my main complaint about hg/db.  That I couldn't move away for however long it took to roast.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
poison
poison

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 7:41am

Holy cow you guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies!

Artful, if I do this, it will be with the intention of eventually (and hopefully sooner rather than later) selling, whether over the internet or locally. That is my fear about the smoke: 20 minute of smoke every few days is no big deal, but if I needed to turn out 20+ lbs several times per week....

I guess I'll find out. I just need to get back into roasting for a while anyway.

brokencup, awesome chart, thanks! It is funny to me that that chart even exists. Coffeegeek-dom at its finest, so cool!

Thanks for the link to the motor on RK. I was on that site yesterday, but was having problems navigating it for some reason and couldn't find that. $125 is steep, but the setup is nice, simple, and effective.

rawman, thank you for the links. Do you have a part #? Is it the Base Mount AC (and which of the CW, CCW, or dual is needed)? Hey, you could buy a hand cycle, as used in physical therapy, and modify it to crank the drum. I would think it is much better to have the motor, though. This way if you were doing more than one batch, you could dump it into the cooling can and immediately start another roast, or take a leak.

Edit: Never mind, I am too slow; I just saw the numbers on the other thermometer post, thanks!

Nate
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
drsmith

Espresso: Mr Coffee
Grinder: Crank by hand
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hearthware prec.; Whirley...
Posted Tue Sep 28, 2004, 9:59am

I have a similar setup.  1lb produces a fair bit of smoke - but certainly not enough to distract the neighbors from their usual routine.  4lbs once in a while probably wouldn't be an issue, either.  4lbs every day, 7 days a week would definately cause complaint from those who have not been converted into home roasted coffee lovers.

I'm using the 57 rpm motor from surplus center - it turns plenty fast enough, imho.

As for the rotisserie, you'll want the deluxe model which has a 1 piece spit - other kits have a 2 piece spit that fastens together in the middle.  The 1 piece spit should be stronger than the 2 piece, in theory.

Don't get too caught up with the heat diffusing options.  I swapped out the dual burner for a single burner replacement, and removed the heat diffuser entirely.  The only time I have problems with uneven roasts is if there's a breeze blowing across the grill which tends to cool off one end - or if I get in a big hurry and just leave the burner on it's highest setting for the entire roast.

As for BTU's, the only issue I had(and I got the cheapest grill I could find) was a vent that was molded into the hood along the edge where the hinges are.    That vent was supposed to let smoke out of the grill, but unfortunately, it also lets out a fair bit of heat.  For the time being, I've covered it with heavy duty tin foil and that seems to have corrected the problem.  Eventually, I'll make a more permanent plug for the vent out of some angle aluminum from the hardware store.

Pictures will be forthcoming soon, but overall, my setup isn't significantly different from what others have posted.
gsamu

Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast
Posted Wed Oct 20, 2004, 4:46pm

Can you tell me where I can buy the 1 piece spit for the 57rpm motor?
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Wed Oct 20, 2004, 5:02pm

gsamu,

Mine came with a rotisserie kit that I got from Home Depot before I realized that I needed a faster motor than the 5rpm  motor that came with the kit.  In hindsight, it would have been better to have bought just the spit rod (somewhere) and then got the 57rpm motor from Surplus Center.  Maybe someone of the list has a recommendation for where (what) to get just the rod.

Rick
poison
poison

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Wed Oct 20, 2004, 6:59pm

Yeah, $32 for a rotisserie kit is steep if youre only gonna use the spit.

I've noticed that most setups have a bracket mounted to each side of the lower body of the grill, through which the spit passes. Kind of a support thing. Are those necessary? Where would you get them?

Ah, in the $32 rotisserie kit...

Hmmm.

Nate
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sat Oct 30, 2004, 9:01pm

gsamu Said:

Can you tell me where I can buy the 1 piece spit for the 57rpm motor?

Posted October 20, 2004 link

Sorry for not responding sooner, but better late than never.  Mine is not one piece, but it is very sturdy.  I used a 3/8inch stainless steel (SS) threaded rod, with an SS connector and an SS eye bolt. If you want to see pictures I have some posted of my setup Here.  The lovejoy connectors made it easy to connect the rod to the motor.

Edit:  3/8 inch SS rod not 3/4 as I originally put.  I got mine at a local bolt shop for $7  vs  $11 at home depot.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
brokencup
brokencup

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Oct 31, 2004, 8:44am

Rawman Said:

I have the exact same motor.  I got it on www.surpluscenter.com for about 40 bucks including the lovejoys and shipping.  Here is a picture of it in case anyone missed it on the other other thread I posted.  It didn't take too long to put together.  The beans sling around quite a bit in there.  I do not see any problems of beans plastered to the sides.  I thought of a hand crank, and a foot pump, and also considered a sprocket and chain setup but I decided I wanted to be able to step away to answer the phone or something without ruining a batch.  (Note that does not mean this is set and forget method.  It's not).   That was my main complaint about hg/db.  That I couldn't move away for however long it took to roast.

That would be item number Item# 5-1183  for $22?

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New Rk Drum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380868911743)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+