Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Need BBQ Roasting Advice
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need BBQ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Nov 2, 2004, 5:01pm
Subject: Re: Need BBQ Roasting Advice

ChrisatCafeGreenBean Said:

And why do you want to roast with the lid open?  I just want to know the reasoning behind it.

I had the same idea - I wanted to be able to see and hear the beans.  But even if your idea works, the solid drum will not allow you to see or hear the beans any better IMO.

Posted November 2, 2004 link

I simply want to watch what is happening.  Do I want to watch so bad that I willing to hurt the roast?  No.  I took some temperatures today and at grate level, which is mid drum for me I got 500F with burners at high and 375F at low with the lid open.  The bottom of my drum will actually be three inches lower.

Also I did not intend to build a completely solid drum I was simply trying to point out that a more enclosed drum would probably have a slightly higher internal temperature.

I have come up with a real basic drum design using a large coffee can, pipe clamps and some fine chicken wire.  I purchased all the parts that I needed this morning for under $15!  That is using little of what I already had!  I am going to post more on it when I get it working.  I also do not have to do any mods to my grill (drilling or what not).  I am confident that I am going to get a great drum roaster that can do 2-3 pounds at a time.  The drum is 6 inches in diameter and 15 inches long.  Granted it is hand powered for now, but I want that control too.  I am a control freak I guess.  I will keep you guys updated!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 3:49pm

TimEggers Said:

I simply want to watch what is happening.  Do I want to watch so bad that I willing to hurt the roast?  No.  I took some temperatures today and at grate level, which is mid drum for me I got 500F with burners at high and 375F at low with the lid open.  The bottom of my drum will actually be three inches lower.

Posted November 2, 2004 link

I think you will find that the wind will be a big problem if you try to roast with the lid open. The wind affects my temperatures with the lid closed. And I roast with my grill just inside my garage door.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 5:32pm

I have a 20-foot deep single car garage and I am going to roast clear to the back of that.  There is a window there too that I will try to put a box fan in (for ventilation) and leave the garage door closed.

I just completed some temperature trials of my new rig and things look promising.  I can reach 600F in about 5 minutes and then back down to 375F in about 4 minutes.  That is with the lid open.  My grill has always been incredibly hot.  It has a large burner and a small body.  Not to mention that when on HIGH the tips of the flames are only about 1/8 to 1/4 from the bottom of the drum.  This where I have my thermometer mounted too.  It looks like I should not have a problem temperature wise.  I am going to conduct more temperature tests after I tweak the thermometer location.  All in all things are looking good and I am very hopeful.  I am not going to put in any beans until I can do several temperature trials and get a sense for the rate of change.  I figure I will do a couple of mock profiles and chart time and temperature as well as rate of change.

Yes I do keep a roast log.  I have every roast that I have ever done logged...

Tim Eggers
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 6:01pm

Do you plan to use any kind of diffuser over the burner?
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 6:45pm

Yes I think I will.  I will get a cheap tin foil roasting pan from Wal-mart and invert it.  Cut the sides so that the corners act as legs to hold the pan off of the top of the burner.  I am still in the design and test phase.  I am in no hurry to start roasting beans until I have things well thought out and tested.  

How much space needs to be between the diffuser and the top of the burner?

A side note: I fashioned my cooling rack this morning.  It is two boards with holes in them that are clamped to a sawhorse.  The boards stick up like rabbits ears.  I feed my spit through the holes on the boards one at a time and then rotate the drum in front of a pedestal fan.  The air will cool the beans and drum as well as remove any left over chaff.  Then I can simply poor the cool beans out of the cool drum.

Tim Eggers
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 7:27pm

TimEggers Said:

How much space needs to be between the diffuser and the top of the burner?

Posted November 4, 2004 link

I have about 3/4" between my diffuser and my burner. I use a 10x13 jelly roll pan I got at Wal-mart. The pan fit perfectly into my Charbroil grill. There are actually a couple small ridges that hold it tight. I placed some Charbroil Diamonds on top the pan; with hopes of achieving even heat.
This is my Set up
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 7:56pm

TimEggers Said:

A side note: I fashioned my cooling rack this morning.  It is two boards with holes in them that are clamped to a sawhorse.  The boards stick up like rabbits ears.  I feed my spit through the holes on the boards one at a time and then rotate the drum in front of a pedestal fan.  The air will cool the beans and drum as well as remove any left over chaff.  Then I can simply poor the cool beans out of the cool drum.

What size batches are you planning to roast? Ideally you will want your roast cooled in less then five minutes. I would think you would want to get the beans out of the hot drum ASAP. Three pounds of beans get real hot.

Too hot
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 8:06pm

I plan on doing 2lb batches.  The wood boards hold the drum up in the air and then I am going to place a 12-inch pedestal fan by the drum to blow into the beans.  Then rotate the drum.  Shouldn't that cool the beans?  I would think so...

Tim Eggers
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 8:14pm

When I pull my drum the beans are snapping and popping. IMO the drum will stay to hot to long. I would recommend getting them out of the drum, you could put them in some other cooling pan and blow the fan and stir them. Two pounds at 400+. Thatís a hot mass of beans.
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 10:07pm

TimEggers Said:

I just completed some temperature trials of my new rig and things look promising.  I can reach 600F in about 5 minutes and then back down to 375F in about 4 minutes.  That is with the lid open.  My grill has always been incredibly hot.  It has a large burner and a small body.  Not to mention that when on HIGH the tips of the flames are only about 1/8 to 1/4 from the bottom of the drum.  This where I have my thermometer mounted too.  It looks like I should not have a problem temperature wise.  I am going to conduct more temperature tests after I tweak the thermometer location.  All in all things are looking good and I am very hopeful.  I am not going to put in any beans until I can do several temperature trials and get a sense for the rate of change.  I figure I will do a couple of mock profiles and chart time and temperature as well as rate of change.  Yes I do keep a roast log.  I have every roast that I have ever done logged...

Keep in mind that while this drum is spinning, all of the beans will not actually be resting on the bottom of the drum.  They will be moving around in the drum.  So if the heat is 600 at the bottom, measure somewhere slightly above to see what temperatures you get.  Also, measure the heat at the top of the drum.  I am guessing it will be a lot cooler up there.  So the drum is going to be hot down near the flame and cool up near the top.  With the flame that close, and that hot near the bottom, I think you may run into issues with uneven roasts.    Last roast I did I had 2 type K thermocouples and measured temperature in 2 places (bottom of the drum just touching it, and behind the drum about 1/3 up from the bottom).  I noticed 50 or more degrees difference and that was with the lid shut.   I'm guessing you will really have to move this thing around fast to get a nice even roast.  I am thinking 50-60 RPM at a minimum.  

Here is a link to my setup.  (If you've seen it before sorry).  I had a similar idea about the heat diffuser.  I used a cutout of an aluminum pie tin and put it on the rock grate.  See This picture .  Basically it disintegrated after a few roasts.  Now I spread the char-diamonds more evenly to cover the flame.  

As for cooling, It will take much much longer to cool the entire setup (drum, spit, beans) than cooling just the beans.  Keep in mind that there will be a LOT of heat coming from the metal, which will still be roasting the beans.   This will be even worse if you are using a semi closed drum as you are planning.   Just about everyone I've seen suggest getting the beans out of the drum as soon as possible.  I kill the heat, then kill the motor, open the door and dump into a colander and cool using my turbo bean cooler similar to TheArtfuldodger's.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need BBQ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.368187189102)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+