Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Need BBQ Roasting Advice
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need BBQ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 11:18am
Subject: Re: Need BBQ Roasting Advice

TheArtfulDodger is right, cooling is essential, and a simple fan won't do it. You can dump beans at second crack, and if you let them sit, they may end up a good Italian roast or darker, depending on ambient temps.

You need to get air forced through them, and lots of it. If you were roasting 1/4 lb or so you could just toss them in a colander, up in the air, but you'd still have to dump them way before they achieved the desired roast. Even on a diedrich it takes a big batch 3 minutes or so to cool to the point they are not cooking.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 12:18pm

I tried the cheap tin pan diffuser.  Big no no, it melted!  I pulled it out before it stuck to anything though.  Can anyone tell me if 650F plus is too hot to roast?  That is the coolest that I can get with the lid shut.  I hate to sound redundant but I really don't want to ruin a whole pound of coffee.

I am going to dump the coffee into a cool colander and stir with a whisk in front of a fan.  With only one pound that should cool them.  I can also use the box fan underneath the colander to pull air down through the beans.  I have a window screen that I could use and spread the beans out in a single layer over the entire size of the box fan too.

My grill runs extremely hot, I fear that if I grill with the lid down at temps 650F and above I will roast way too fast.  Grill with the lid open and I end up with an inefficient perhaps uneven roast because the temp from the top of the drum to the bottom will be very different.  I need to research and get specific temperature profiles.  I do think that anything over 650F after first crack is way too hot.  Isn't it?  Man my head is spinning here...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
poison
poison

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 12:41pm

Tim, it is Probably a good idea to burn a batch, just to see how the roast progresses, and at what times and temps you hit 1st and 2nd crack.

Buying some cheap beans will aleviate the pain of tossing good beans!

Nate
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 10:14pm

marcus Said:

My advice is stock up on propane.

Posted November 5, 2004 link

Wise advice...ask me how I know! :)  I ran out tonight.  Luckily I had just started the grill and hadn't loaded the beans in yet.  How much is propane in the rest of the country?  2.49 here, but there's a minimum charge of 13.50 Then the tank only took 4.6 gallons.  (Yes I am pretty sure that I got screwed.  The guy didn't even ring it up.) But the type that you bring empty and exchange for a full one cost even more.  14 including tax.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Sat Nov 6, 2004, 10:22pm

In NC an exchange tank is running about $16. I keep one extra. I've noticed when the tank gets low I can't get above about 400 degrees. When it gets low I switch the tanks out so I don't run out in the middle of a roast. I got 21 roast out of my last tank.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Sun Nov 7, 2004, 6:33am

SUCCESS!!!

Well I sucked it up and did it!  I roasted two 4-ounce batches.  The first batch was my can drum and with the grill lid open.  I ramped up to 650F slowly, too slowly, and then hovered around 500 for second crack.  It was a mess.  Beans were sticking and falling out and chaff everywhere.  The roast came out uneven but not too bad (read that as savable!).

My hats off to you guys about the cooling.  The seemingly small 4-ounce batches did cool but slowly.  Even in front of the fan.  I am going to use a window screen over a big box fan when I roast bigger batches!

For the second batch I wrapped a layer of aluminum foil around the drum then poked holes around the drum.  Granted I could not see anything but I went by smell and sound.  Wow, what a difference!  I hit first crack in 5:30 and then second at 9:30!  A success and the roast was very even!  This batch I started out at medium heat (600F) then came down to 500F between cracks.  A little quicker than I wanted but I could hear and smell the stages.  I wound up with a nice city roast.  I am still working on my technique but the good news is I can roast with the lid open as long as I have the foil wall.  It acts as an oven in the drum.  The aluminum conducts the heat inside the drum for me instead of the grill body.  This way I can roast with the lid open to avoid the extreme heat of my hot grill.  I have an oven thermometer that I have up by the drum and I monitor that as I roast.  Sure that will not indicate internal drum temps but it gives me a measuring device nonetheless so I can repeat results.  That is after what I am after.

Well I am going to order more coffee beans from SM and get to work on my technique.  I have also decided to do one half or one pound batches max.  For now anyway.  I am sure my drum can hold 3 or 4.  However I want to work on my technique before risking more coffee!  

I had a real blast nonetheless!  Pics coming soon!

Tim Eggers
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Sun Nov 7, 2004, 8:35am

Way to go! :)  So is the foil wall attached the drum and spin with the drum?  Can't wait to see pictures.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Posted Sun Nov 7, 2004, 7:15pm

Rawman Said:

Way to go! :)  So is the foil wall attached the drum and spin with the drum?  Can't wait to see pictures.

Posted November 7, 2004 link

Yes the foil is actually secured with the two pipe clamps, as is the screen.  I have since altered my design using longer foil so that I could put the clamps at the ends of the drums.  The drum is 15 inches long, so the 12 inch foil was too short.  I am going to some more test runs and take some pics.

Tim Eggers
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need BBQ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318954944611)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+