Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
"French Roast"
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > "French Roast"  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dgrove

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Zass 169, KA Proline
Drip: Krup Moka Brew
Roaster: Caffe Rosto
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 11:53am
Subject: "French Roast"

I'm just about to get starting roasting (Caffe Rosto is in the mail to me) and I need to get myself
some green beans.  I've perused SweetMarias materials a bit and plan to start out by ordering
from them, however I need to come up with a list of beans to get me started.  I figured I'd get
one of their sample packs and also choose some on my own.  

Now to get to the topic of my post.  I like light to std. French roast coffees (though not exclusively),
but have no clue as to what type of beans are "typically" used, since (obviously) the naming just
tells you the roast type.  From some of what I've read it seems that by the time you reach a
french roast, the flavor just from the "char" is eclipsing that contributed by the origin of the bean.
If true, then it would seem to not matter what type of bean is used (at least up to a point).

Anybody want to weigh in and help me sort out this mess?  Does the type of bean matter, and if so
any "favorite" beans for french roasts??

Thanks!
Doug
 View Profile Link to this post
JoannB

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio S27
Grinder: Rocky Doserless, Zassenhaus...
Vac Pot: Infuze, stainless for...
Roaster: FreshRoast + variac
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: "French Roast"

If you're going to order from Sweet Maria's, then read Tom's recommendations about recommended roast levels. If you decide to order from someone else later, then read their recommendations. Good coffee vendors provide that information to their customers. Coffee crops are so variable, even when from the same region, that it's difficult to generalize.

In my stash of beans, the Nicaraguan Matagalpa and Sumatran Gayo Mountain stand up best to a dark roast. YMMV.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dgrove

Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 12:49pm

[If you're going to order from Sweet Maria's, then read Tom's recommendations about recommended roast levels.]

I'll have to look more carefully at the beans section.  In the general reading I did on the site it definitely
seems that he has a bias against dark roasts, so I thought I'd ask here for some info.  I just wasn't clear on
whether the bean origin even mattered much for the darker roasts.

Thanks for the info
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 1:08pm

Many of us are "biased" against very dark roasts becuse we're coffeegeeks and we like to taste the differences of the varietals.  

That said, I do tend to roast some of the brighter beans well into second crack (probably not to what you'd call "French" but darker than other beans).  

Of course this whole conversation should be predicated on what you intend to do with the beans.  Will you make drip or French Press or possibly even espresso?  

By the way, welcome to CoffeeGeek-dot-com!!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
dgrove

Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 1:17pm

[Many of us are "biased" against very dark roasts becuse we're coffeegeeks and we like to taste the differences of the varietals.]

Certainly.  I'm not looking to burn all of my beans, I just like some variety.  I plan to experiment
with most of the beans at various of the lower levels of roast, but do want to some beans that
will produce a decent french roast.

[Of course this whole conversation should be predicated on what you intend to do with the beans.  Will you make drip or French Press or possibly even espresso?]

I've got a Krups Moka Brew at home and an old Krups 4-cup drip at the office.
Those are all I've got planned for the present.  

[By the way, welcome to CoffeeGeek-dot-com!!]

Thanks.  I did a lot of reading here when before I bought my Moka Brew.  Since then I've got myself
a Zass grinder and the roaster that's on the way.  It's a very informative site and a good community.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 2:07pm

dgrove Said:

Thanks.  I did a lot of reading here when before I bought my Moka Brew.  Since then I've got myself a Zass grinder and the roaster that's on the way.  It's a very informative site and a good community.

Posted November 9, 2004 link

I have noticed that the Kenya, Brasilian, and Ethiopian tends to get darker, and Celebes (Sulawesi) also gets pretty dark.  The decaf beans get real dark real quick and they seem to develop an oily sheen earlier too.  YMMV of course...

I tend to roast Costa Rican, Tanzania and Guatemalen beans well into second crack for drip coffee.  It leave it short of a French roast but it does get a "toasty" flavor.  Whenever I am going for a darker roast I will "stretch" the roast so that after the first crack the roast moves slowly to the second crack and that seems to mellow the roast considerably.  In general I shott for about 5 minutes between first and second crack if I am trying for a dark roast.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 3:03pm

SM's has a french roast blend that is designed to hold up well to a dark roast.  http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.other.blends.html#sm.frenchroast  Usually I prefer a single origin for drip, but once you roast to a french roast you will lose the origin characteristics of the bean which will be replaced by roast characteristics.  Therefore, you may be better off using a blend when roasting to a french roast.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 5:16pm

I think you will find that Tom's (Sweet Maria's) roast recommendations are right on track.  I have gone darker and I did not like the results at all.  I really like my coffee now at City/Full City.  You claim that you want variety well my friend now you have it.  I have been roasting for about 2 weeks and I love the difference from bean to bean.  I have had some truly great coffee!  Do not equate a darker roast with a better roast all the time.  Tom knows his stuff and he is dead accurate.  Also though it comes down to your tastes!  Experiment and keep us updated.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
dgrove

Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 7:29pm

TimEggers Said:

Do not equate a darker roast with a better roast all the time.  Tom knows his stuff and he is dead accurate.  Also though it comes down to your tastes!  

Posted November 9, 2004 link

I'm not planning to burn all my beans to a crisp, just one or two varieties :)

I had not really taken a close look at the beans list at SMs and do now see that there is good guidance
as to the range of roasts for the beans.  They even mention french roast for a few of them.  Guess I
should have done my homework a bit better.  I was trying to find an article discussing general guidelines
for what holds up well to darker roasts, but didn't find such a discussion.

I don't think I'll go with any of SMs blends yet, I want to experiment with the individual varietals
to get a feel (taste) for them separately first.  The experimentation is half the fun after all!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > "French Roast"  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280833005905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+