Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Wholesaleing, just how much is it?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wholesaleing,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ciordia9
Ciordia9
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Eureka MDE Grinder
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 1:20pm
Subject: Wholesaleing, just how much is it?

A colleague and myself were discussing our assumptions in wholesale coffee roasting.  I'd love to field some discussion so that I can stop living off assumptions.  

Are there small, middle, and large scale wholesale roasters or does wholesale by nature quantify into an amount, ie to be a wholesaler you MUST = X lbs per week, period.

Do some shops just want a little distribution and tell clients that they have a capacity of Y and thats all they can deliver where as some desire large growth and will grow to meet demand?

As a roaster you can trust as a small shop that builds/scales to be a large shop, how much roast profiling changes?  If you liked their small time blend, will it be the same as a large scale operation?

As a caffe operator in the planning phases I'm trying to just grasp a bit more of what kind of roasters we'll be dealing with and how to delineate them.

-a
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Wholesaleing, just how much is it?

Still growing in volume as a roaster, but other factors come into play as well - remember the roast is dependant on the green coffee, which will change season to season. That can have as much influence if not more than other factors.

It also depends on the roaster, company and equipment - talking to other roasters who have put in new roasters, they have then set about learning how to get the best out of the new roaster - maybe they will be more comfortable on the new one and roast better, maybe not?

Someone who is restrictive on who / how they will sell to may be better for you than someone who supplies allcommers.

At the end of the day, the relationship with your supplier will be critical to your success - great coffee crap service isn't going to get you anywhere - if your supplier forgets to ship your coffee, what will you serve? perhaps a slightly less appealing coffee with great service may suit you better?

just my 1/2 cent

Brent
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ciordia9
Ciordia9
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Eureka MDE Grinder
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 5:00pm

brentling Said:

Still growing in volume as a roaster, but other factors come into play as well - remember the roast is dependant on the green coffee, which will change season to season. That can have as much influence if not more than other factors.

Posted November 9, 2004 link

So do small time roasters wholesale?

brentling Said:

Someone who is restrictive on who / how they will sell to may be better for you than someone who supplies allcommers.

Right, a limited or selective distribution channeling.  It could allow a roaster to stay small(er) and make deliverables at a comfortable rate.  Or at least, thats one thing I was theorizing.

brentling Said:

At the end of the day, the relationship with your supplier will be critical to your success - great coffee crap service isn't going to get you anywhere - if your supplier forgets to ship your coffee, what will you serve? perhaps a slightly less appealing coffee with great service may suit you better?

Thanks Brent.  Appreciate some of the ruminations :)  I'm just working towards getting a better idea of the industry and the little caches that exist and how it may work.  I've been enjoying many small roasters and have yet to be able to pin point who is a big fish and who is a small fish and what small fish act like big fish or big that are small.. you know the whole lay of the land persay.   The wholesale thing came from my partner and I rambling;  I think there can be small time limited run wholesale roasters while my friend suggests that the whole point of wholesaleing would be the ability to sale a continuous large demand.  I like to think of niche roasters, small and midsized wholesalers and of course the always present large guys/gals who have grown to a significant size.   Diversity is ever present.  

Of course I could, as I can, misinterrpret his stance and maybe he'll post and correct my nearsidedness ;-)  It happens quite oft hehehe.

-a

http://andy.ciordia.info
"Life is all about strategy, mathematics and psychological perceptiveness."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 5:22pm

Ciordia9 Said:

Thanks Brent.  Appreciate some of the ruminations :)

ramblings or rantings would be closer, but I guess less polite...

Ciordia9 Said:

I'm just working towards getting a better idea of the industry and the little caches that exist and how it may work.

I have found here in NZ (and the contacts I have made through the internet overseas) that most people in the industry seem pretty happy to help ONCE they know you won't be competing headon with them.

Ciordia9 Said:

I've been enjoying many small roasters and have yet to be able to pin point who is a big fish and who is a small fish and what small fish act like big fish or big that are small.. you know the whole lay of the land persay.

I think it comes back to finding someone you can build that relationship with, and who can deliver the service you need to survive, grow and prosper.

Ciordia9 Said:

Diversity is ever present.  

and thats the cool thing about coffee... there is no right answer, we can challenge everything, cos at the end of the day, no matter what anyone else does, says, thinks, if you like it, you are correct!

Brent
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wholesaleing,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321050882339)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+