Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Leaving Power On 24/7?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Leaving Power On...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jonnocan
jonnocan
Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Faema Compact A
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Saeco MC 2000...
Vac Pot: Vintage Cona
Drip: Don't use one
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 6:53am
Subject: Leaving Power On 24/7?

Hi!

I just realized a dream and bought a Faema Compact A!

Now, I know the big commercial machines are always left on.

But what's the collective wisdom about the smaller commercial machines at home.

Always leave the power on?
Or shut it off at night?

I'd appreciate any advice. Not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Jon
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Leaving Power On 24/7?

This question was recently discussed at length in the thread "BZ99 - Can I really leave the machine on 24/7?".  No definitive conclusion, although the majority seemed to be leaning towards "leave it on 24/7" to reduce failure rates.  For home machines, most seem to use a heavy duty timer or pull blank shots as suggested in "Cheating Miss Silvia" to preheat the group.

I didn't comment on the above thread, but I must admit to a bit of déjà-vu.  This same sort of debate occurs regularly in the computer industry, with some claiming that leaving on monitors, CPUs, etc. will reduce failure rates.  I find these claims a bit dubious, and believe many originated in the days when mean time between failure rates were measured in a few 1000s of hours, not 10x that figure as is typically the case today.  Apparently high-end electronic equipment that uses vacuum tubes remain an undisputed exception.

I decided long ago that I wouldn't feed "energy vampires" after I read that the US requires the output equivalent of 2-3 nuclear power plants to keep all these passive machines happy.  Perhaps that is an environmentalist's exaggeration.  In any case, it assuages a little of my guilt about America's conspicuous consumption of world energy resources.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonnocan
jonnocan
Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Faema Compact A
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Saeco MC 2000...
Vac Pot: Vintage Cona
Drip: Don't use one
Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 8:28am

thanks Dan.

very interesting read.

Still don't know what to do. I guess no one does. But sounds like people leave them on.

jon
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Fri May 2, 2003, 9:24am

jonnocan Said:

Still don't know what to do. I guess no one does. But sounds like people leave them on.

Posted May 2, 2003 link

I'll risk a moment on the soapbox and offer some related food for thought on conspicuous consumption from this article: Humvee's Obnoxious New Ad: And why it's so great.  I found the term coined by the author, an "FUV", quite amusing, albeit sadly appropriate.

To bring this back to your question, I'd be interested in hearing non-anecdotal evidence that confirms or refutes the assertion that 24/7 uptime affects MTBF rates.  For what it's worth, in the perenial debate among computer hardware engineers, the majority leans toward "turn it off at the end of the day" and they deride those who say otherwise as recounting data from the early 1970s.  As I recall the details of one story, IBM once issued a warning to owners of a certain 3270 display model ("green screen" as shown below), telling them that daily on/off cycles would dramatically affect the MTBF rate.  Customers diligently followed IBM's advice, and screen burn-in was born -- and spawned an entire micro-industry of "screen savers" years later.  Ironically, IBM manufacturing quickly corrected the fault in the 3270 line.  More than two decades later, many customers and engineers insist the displays must be left on.

Hence why this discussion provokes such a strong sense of déjà-vu in me.  I've read similar discussions on cars ("Should I leave my car running for 15 minutes while I wait for my wife, or restart it?").  But I digress.

-- Dan

HB: greenscreen.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Leaving Power On...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23141503334)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+