Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cory filter rods
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cory filter rods  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat May 21, 2005, 9:56am
Subject: Re: Cory filter rods

b512 Said:

wh
Still,don't give up on the Silex just yet It's a lovely piece of equipment.

Posted May 20, 2005 link

But if it ain't happening.....move on...put it in it's lovely box and glance wistfully at it every now and then...

Might try the Bodum stovetop...don't know which cory filter I would need...
Cheers!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat May 21, 2005, 10:04am

IMAWriter Said:

Might try the Bodum stovetop...don't know which cory filter I would need...
Cheers!

Posted May 21, 2005 link

Rob, any Cory rod., both the "new" & "old" Cory rods will work. I've never had any problems with the stock plastic Bodum filter for the manual Bodum Santos  model #1208.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat May 21, 2005, 10:09am

Thanks...CA/Barry..we should probably take this thread PM and bcc our posts to each other....
can you give barry my email address? (the Good one)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sat May 21, 2005, 10:18am

Will do Rob!
Can you give me Barry's email address please if you have it when you asked him, as Barry doesn't have a public email address listed on his profile page. I need it to send him an email with your email address! {;-D

If you guys downloaded AOL Aim instant messenger, we could have a 3 way chat, or as many people wanted to come in on a chat room that you just click on to enter. It's also a great program to just drag & drop pics, files, pdf's, etc, into the communication window. {:-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon May 23, 2005, 8:41pm

Last comment/questions (from me) re Silex....
Not sure I got a definitive answer as to whether the gasket coming off at the end of every brew (remaining with the lower pot) is normal...the gasket is a not an ultra tight fit...it slips on realeasylike.
Also, when i do as Craig suggested, attaching the upper prior to adding coffee, I'm getting large ammount of steam..looks more like smoke...exiting out the top, till I add the coffee....and
Even keeping the gas up to what I'd call medium (between 5 and 60, the upper is hardly bubbling...on my Infuze, and Bodums, there is much agitation...which leads me to believe there is heat escaping from somewhere, which also leads me to believe this may not be an original gasket...I may contact the seller...
Craig, how can I check that the pot I have is , in fact, the "Aiken" model?
Looking for a Bodum stovetop...maybe....

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue May 24, 2005, 6:57am

IMAWriter Said:

Last comment/questions (from me) re Silex....
Not sure I got a definitive answer as to whether the gasket coming off at the end of every brew (remaining with the lower pot) is normal...the gasket is a not an ultra tight fit...it slips on realeasylike.

Posted May 23, 2005 link

I thought I answered that before Rob., no it's not normal.

Also, when i do as Craig suggested, attaching the upper prior to adding coffee, I'm getting large ammount of steam..looks more like smoke...exiting out the top, till I add the coffee....and

It's just the water vapor being released & hitting the cooler upper bowl.

Even keeping the gas up to what I'd call medium (between 5 and 60, the upper is hardly bubbling...on my Infuze, and Bodums, there is much agitation...which leads me to believe there is heat escaping from somewhere, which also leads me to believe this may not be an original gasket...I may contact the seller...

As I mentioned earlier, the gasket is loose & the steam/vapor is leaking between the gasket & the top globes glass & not much is making it to the top globe, but enough to hold all the water up "North".

Craig, how can I check that the pot I have is , in fact, the "Aiken" model?
Looking for a Bodum stovetop...maybe....

I've checked the only informative source that I know of, Brian Harris's excellent Vacuum brewer website. http://www.baharris.org/coffee/Manufacturers.htm#S

You could always ask the question about your model of Silex on alt.coffee Rob, maybe someone will have the answer., & Brian Harris himself posts there & will answer if you post & pose the question to him. {:-)

Hope this helps..

IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue May 24, 2005, 7:11pm

You bet, CA...
I've joined alt.coffee, but not sure how to post...I don't want my email address showing up...does it automatically show up when you post?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue May 24, 2005, 7:51pm

Rob, yes it shows up when you post. I use Outlook Express 6 & I munge the email address in "Properties", Email address: the field; & put in my deletethis. part. In the Reply address field: the unmunged email address.

With my Gmail account, I don't see a way for me to do this as it just has the Email address: field

Posting through Google Groups, alt.coffee., I'm not sure.., I'll look right now.
Cheers!

Quote: The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to this group will make your email visible to anyone on the Internet.

My Gmail address through my Gmail account is munged as I just checked it.

Whitey

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2006, 2:07pm

Hi all.  I have used the search feature and read all of this thread concerning Cory rods but didn't find my question answered as such.  I understand that all of the rods seem to work well and be interchangable with each other.  Are there no difference in sizes?  Does size matter?  I have noticed on ebay that bids on some rods with certain numbers seem to be very brisk while other rods fail to draw a bid.  Could it be that collectors are looking for certain rod numbers that match up correctly with their model vac pot?  I have an old vac pot that could use a rod, as well as a Yama.  Will a Cory rod work for both?

My first post. . . Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2006, 8:35pm

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-D

Yes there are differences in the sizes, but it really shouldn't matter if at all.The "New Cory" rods are longer & more slender on the end that extends down into the vac pots top downspout. The older Cory rods are shorter & fatter on the end that extends down into the vac pots top downspout plus some minor surface pebbling texture that's a little coarser  than the new ones.

On the old Cory rods the pebbling texture is broken by a clear glass seam approx  1/8th of an inch wide, with no pebbling texture there.

Yes the "Old" & "New" Cory rods will work great, trust me., I have enough vac pots LOL!

CraigA: i-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cory filter rods  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334779024124)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+