Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Vacpot and/or Santos question about process
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vacpot and/or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
djs134
djs134
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Santos, Bodum FP
Roaster: SC/CO w/ variac
Posted Thu Nov 3, 2005, 2:53pm
Subject: Re: Vacpot and/or Santos question about process

I thought that I was taking the water temp into account when I would preheat the water and then let it rise to 205*F before placing the upper bowl with the coffee in it.  Apparently the temp drop from the added mass of the additional glass was dropping the water temp below the 195*F limit.  

Since reading this thread, Iíve taken to preheating the water and then letting it rise to the upper chamber where I check the temp.  Once it has reached 195*, in go the grounds.  Much better results.  Thanks for the heads up!  I just have to get a handle on keeping the temp below 208 and not let the steam from below keep the temp rising before my 3 min. is  up.

I can understand why the instructions do not address this.  First off, not everyone wants to make as much of a ritual out of the coffee brewing experience as some on this site do.  And Iím sure that compared to the majority of coffee that is being consumed out there, even the slightly sour brew that is produced by using the instructions is better by far already.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
       William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5
 View Profile Link to this post
aurelio
aurelio
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Astra(CT)/Antigua
Vac Pot: Santos/FP/AP
Drip: Presto-SG/Krups(pourover)
Roaster: Alp
Posted Sat Nov 5, 2005, 7:29am

Man, I learn something new every day on these boards that improves my coffee!

I took some measurements myself this morning, similar to Dan's approach.  Decided to not pre-heat the water.  I wanted to see how long it would take from start-to-finish with no shortcuts.

Assembled the pot (no coffee in the upper chamber) and placed it over medium heat at 8:38AM.

When the upper chamber was half full, the temp read 169 F (76.1 C).

When the upper chamber was completely full and "bubbling", the temp still only read 181 F (82.7 C).

So I decided to wait (and time) before adding the grinds.  So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

A full 6:53 minutes later, the water temp in the upper chamber had finally hit 195 F (90.5 C) so I dumped the grinds in, stirred, steeped for 2 minutes and pulled it off the heat for it's journey downward (about another minute).

Total time from putting the pot on until I was drinking coffee?  31 minutes.

I guess my question to some of you now, is can I (should I) increase the heat to med-hi or hi to get the upper chamber water closer to 200 (and faster)?  I have an electric cooktop.  I am worried that too high of heat will crack the carafe.  

I watched the small amount of water in the bottom chamber very carefully while I was waiting for the upper chamber water to get hot enough.  It never dried up downstairs but it did diminish to dangerously close levels, IMO.  The other interesting thing I noted was that after a few minutes, the water in the upper chamber stopped bubbling altogether (but did slowly get hotter).

I will say, though, that the cup I'm sipping on right now is by far the best I've had yet from my vacpot!

Aurelio

"I am the great Cornholio!"  -- an overcaffeinated Beavis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite CG posts...
Ristretto & blonding:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/202518
FP brewing tips:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/188186
Vacpot brewing tips: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/184393
Green bean sellers: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/179595
Inside the mind of a CG:  http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/offtopic/176471
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sat Nov 5, 2005, 12:13pm

aurelio Said:

Man, I learn something new every day on these boards that improves my coffee!

I took some measurements myself this morning, similar to Dan's approach.  Decided to not pre-heat the water.  I wanted to see how long it would take from start-to-finish with no shortcuts.

Assembled the pot (no coffee in the upper chamber) and placed it over medium heat at 8:38AM.

When the upper chamber was half full, the temp read 169 F (76.1 C).

When the upper chamber was completely full and "bubbling", the temp still only read 181 F (82.7 C).

So I decided to wait (and time) before adding the grinds.  So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

A full 6:53 minutes later, the water temp in the upper chamber had finally hit 195 F (90.5 C) so I dumped the grinds in, stirred, steeped for 2 minutes and pulled it off the heat for it's journey downward (about another minute).

Total time from putting the pot on until I was drinking coffee?  31 minutes.

I guess my question to some of you now, is can I (should I) increase the heat to med-hi or hi to get the upper chamber water closer to 200 (and faster)?  I have an electric cooktop.  I am worried that too high of heat will crack the carafe.  

I watched the small amount of water in the bottom chamber very carefully while I was waiting for the upper chamber water to get hot enough.  It never dried up downstairs but it did diminish to dangerously close levels, IMO.  The other interesting thing I noted was that after a few minutes, the water in the upper chamber stopped bubbling altogether (but did slowly get hotter).

I will say, though, that the cup I'm sipping on right now is by far the best I've had yet from my vacpot!

Aurelio

Posted November 5, 2005 link

I thought about that a bit since i overpaid just to get an original 6 cup cory but i'm sorta of one of those Damn the torpedoes types.

Starting with near boiling water, if available, will cut the time a lot. The burner i use is the solid cast element, electric medium wattage (don't really know the true value)  set to the highest point on the dial. I think my total time is in the 12 minutes range.

It does look a bit scary to see the water level drop to 1/2" in the lower chamber but so far i've had no damage.

Remembering back to the days (nights really) working in a coffee shop when we were using about 8 vac pots at any given time, many were forgotten on the burner untill all the water had went north and suffered zero damage. Breakage from careless handleing finally forced the owner to switch to drip and i almost cried. Sorta like the night the music died. DAMMIT..We're talking over 30 years ago and i still remember that coffee!!!

I would really hate to think i influenced you to up the temp and have your vac pot break so i promise to let you know if i screw up mine. It gets a lot of use, sometimes as many as 6 pots a day and thats on top of 2-3 pots thru the commercial Bunn drip ( it's tweaked a bit so does a pretty good job).

Trying not to throwing my arm out of place patting my own back here....I noticed one of the girls was drinking her coffee black and ask her if we were out of cream as she always took it white with 2 sugars. Her reply was "your coffee is good enough that i don't need cream and sugar to enjoy it"  PRICELESS!!!!!! I guess thats what it is all about.

Now to try to make it better.

Dan

Dan Brewer
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Nov 5, 2005, 1:23pm

Like I said in the beginning & have always said...

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vacpot and/or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272253036499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+