Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 255 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Is there a difference in the proportions of WHAT is extracted?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:45pm

paulbel Said:

Is there a difference in the proportions of WHAT is extracted?

Posted April 24, 2013 link

Hi Paul,

I think there has to be a difference.  When developing the AeroPress, I conducted blind taste testing on about 15 people ranging from full time coffee professionals to coffee lovers.  All but one chose 175F brewings.  

The sole exception chose 165F.  He is a serious espresso drinker with a $600 Italian grinder and a $1,500 espresso machine.  He spends a couple of months every spring in Italy and drinks cafe espresso every day there.  At home in California he strives to duplicate the cafe espresso in his own kitchen.

Best,

Alan
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:03pm

AlanAdler Said:

....  When developing the AeroPress, I conducted blind taste testing on about 15 people ranging from full time coffee professionals to coffee lovers.  All but one chose 175F brewings.  

The sole exception chose 165F.  

And yet, it seems most people in this thread, who use the aeropress, claim to  use water at >195F
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:58pm

paulbel Said:

And yet, it seems most people in this thread, who use the aeropress, claim to  use water at >195F

A question for all who brew hotter than 175F.  

1.  Have you blind tested your temperature against 175F?

2.  What degree of roast do you prefer?

Best,

Alan
Poser

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 5:22am

paulbel Said:

If I'm that guy, or the guy sitting next to that guy, I don't want any turbulence...

Posted April 15, 2013 link

you sir... are correct.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 5:40am
Subject: ...

Poser

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:18am

I too prefer a medium roast, with my strike sweet spot between 193-198 F.

I am still experimenting with the following:

-Grind coarseness (though I have been leaning towards the finer side of the scale)
-steep time
-agitation (both method and time... I have an affinity to glass stirring rods, as opposed to the paddle)
-steep vessel (Netphilosophers MJ method has piqued my curiosity...especially when look for larger volume brews).

This obviously has resulted in a broad spectrum of tasting notes... once dialed into a profile that hits my palate perfect, I will start honing in on the maths.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:41am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 7:24am

Netphilosopher Said:

So, some measured brews on Caribou Starlight this morning.

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Why didn't you tell me you were going do this? You'd have saved me the trouble!

Nice work. :o)

Netphilosopher Said:

Cb=13.50
Wb=124.70
After Brewing:
Gt = 26.78
Pc = 110.70

R=9.24
Y=8.20
G=1.98
A=1.04
L=0.06
S=0.0263 (2.63%)

Maybe it would be useful to include a definition key for these terms or a link to such a key, at least for those 0.02% who care? You don't even specify units.

Does L mean you lost 6% of your brew mass??

Netphilosopher Said:

-Lower temperatures tend to be smoother, with a muting or elimination of fruit notes and a loss of brightness.  Especially apparent on citrusy coffees (like Tanzania, or Kenya), fruity coffees (Ethiopia, Uganda), and floral-bright coffees (Guatemala, other hi-elevation Centrals).  Less apparent on nutty or cocoa noted coffees like Brazilian or India Giri/Mysore, or earthy coffees from SE Asia (Sumatra, Indonesia).

So does this mean you more or less agree with the quote I posted about coffee brewed below 185F as resulting in a "toddy" brew?
Poser

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 7:30am

Netphilosopher Said:

Another interesting physical observation:

I've found that as the grounds undergo dissolution in a steep vessel, they tend to waterlog and sink.  This is to say they start out less dense than the brew water, and as the particles become saturated they are denser than the coffee solution.

The smaller the grind, the quicker it takes for them to sink.  I can set up a french press using a whirlyblade grinder, and watch as the larger particles remain on top while the grounds continually rain down in larger and larger particles during the steep time.

In these three brews, the brew coffee powder essentially rained to the bottom of the jar/AP pretty much immediately after they were in contact with the water.  By ten seconds in the Mason Jar, the majority of the grounds were already settled to the bottom as the swirling was slowing after being stirred.

With 1.5mm sieved grounds particles, it might take 4 minutes for this to happen, or longer if they are floating in a bed of off-gassing foam and you don't agitate the liquid or stir the larger particles in (or force them in contact with the brew water like a typical french press recipe).

I used to think that this is the time where about 20% dissolution occurs, but now I'm thinking this is an indicator that the dissolution is approaching the equilibrium dissolution.

However minute, I wonder much how fluid dynamics, surface area (of the grinds) and frictional energies come into play when steeping and during agitation...as this could definitely affect the more volatile components of the brew process.

As an aside... I ran the following brew, and was pleasantly surprised... (hat tip to Netphilosopher for MJA method):

-28g medium roast Riolblanco, Columbian beans (roasted on sunday)
-'0' setting on Baratza virtuoso... not quite "talc" per se, but definitely a nice fine, tight particulate.
- 440g filtered water, 198F kettle temp - 193F strike temp

Placed grounds in 600ml pyrex beaker, poured over water and agitated with glass rod for 5 seconds.

Allowed for a 40 second steep, in which NP's observation was correct... within 15-20 seconds, it appeared that all grounds had settled to bottom of beaker and a rather active rolling bloom occurred.

Agitated once more with glass rod for 3 seconds

Pressed through an inverted aeropress, with rinsed paper microfilter (in 2 pressings) with firm pressure.  The volume of the grinds and particulate size definitely added far more resistance than I have previously been used to.

Finished mass of 417g brewed coffee.

I did not measure post boil... so I am not quite sure how much liquid was lost to evaporation and what was left in compressed pucks.

The resultant brew had a wonderful, viscous mouth feel.  Definite notes of cocoa, dark malt and hint of cherry..or tart fruits... as well as a nice earthiness (musty wood, but not sour).  A nice hint of bitterness, but not so much so as to overpower everything else.  Being a neophyte... and inexperienced taster at best, I really enjoyed the finished product.
showing page 255 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.441664934158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+