Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 284 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 2:58pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

rasqual Said:

I find that utterly implausible as a sufficient explanation for what I'm seeing. No way. Utterly no way possible.

Alan? How "waxy" was that puck?

Posted April 25, 2014 link

Hi rasqual,

The gooey seal I sent for analysis was very sticky -- more like molasses than wax (which I think of as slippery, not sticky).

For your information, the seal material is a formula which is used in medical syringes.  

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 3:10pm

TheoDickson Said:

Hi all. I've been playing with my Aeropress for about a month now.

......Well the trouble with this is that you lose some while pouring and stirring then even more during the insertion of the plunger. .....

Posted April 27, 2014 link

Welcome to the AeroPress.  Thank you for posting.

The above was your comment about normal (not inverted) pressing.  But of course you don't really "lose some".  It all goes into your cup, just the same way it does when you press.

People don't like gravity to do the work for them, they want the brew to flow only when they press, and no other time.  That led to rasqual's inventing the inverted method.  But, as I've written here before, the small amount that gravity pushes does not degrade the brew in any way.  So, no need to worry.

Incidentally, at the U.S. AeroPress Championship on April 27th, about half of the contestants brewed inverted.  But the first three places were all awarded to normal brewers.

Best regards,

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 3:46pm

Hi Everybody,

As you can see from my three consecutive posts, I'm catching up.

As I've written before, some people encounter goo, and some (including me) do not.  But we'll happily replace a seal if it gets gooey or simply wears out.  Just call our office and tell them that you think you qualify for a free replacement.  650-493-3050.  If you want to buy a seal, it's $4.  We also replace a lot of caps ($5) for people who eject them into their trash.  Some people order a second seal or cap for an additonal $2.

I've just spent three days at the Specialty Coffee Association of America exhibition and conference.  This year and next it is in Seattle.  I also attended the U.S. AeroPress Championship on Friday night -- hosted by Stumptown Roasters.  Thank you Stumptown.  It was a fine party.  Here are a few links about the event.

Click Here (sprudge.com)

Click Here (www.24-7pressrelease.com)

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

The AeroPress Championships are grass-roots events which are run by enthusiasts worldwide.  It was the brainchild of Tim Wendelboe and Tim Varney in Norway.  We contribute trophies, but we try to stay out of the way.  It's the people's event.  

I find it amusing that we've organized championships for our sporting toys, such as the Aerobie flying ring and golf discs.  These are sporting devices.  Yet the AeroPress Championships have surpassed our sporting toy events by several orders of magnitude.  For a coffee maker!  

Best regards to all,

Alan
Stuntgibbon

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun May 11, 2014, 5:46am

Aeropress has been fun, I think I've purchased 3 so far. One each for work and home, then one for my parents house.  I'm such a sucker, I'd probably buy another set if there was a fancy looking metal version.
 View Profile Link to this post
Rick
Rick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 8:38am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - Tote Bag?

I've had my Aeropress for several years - probably 7 or 8 -  - and I use it for BBQs, camping, picnics, and while traveling.

The original box it came in is getting pretty ratty-looking. I've seen Aeropress tote bags advertised. Has anyone used one of these tote bags? Are they the right size? Well made? Worth getting?

Thanks!
Riocruzer

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 8:58am

AlanAdler Said:

As I've written before, some people encounter goo, and some (including me) do not.  But we'll happily replace a seal if it gets gooey or simply wears out.

Posted April 29, 2014 link

My seals used to "wear out" after a few months.  It seemed they sort of shrank...or something, so they would no longer seal.  I started putting an 8 lb. weight on them between brewing session and that has taken care of the problem.  I have used the current plunger seal for about a year now with no trouble.

I would be interested to know if others have tried this and what the results have been.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 9:30am

Could you explain exactly what you mean? Do you take the seal off of the plunger and put a weight on it or do you balance an 8lb weight on the end of the plunger?
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 12:53pm

Aeropress championships?  

Eh I should not make fun of this considering some folks may take it very seriously.
RayTCoffeePro
RayTCoffeePro
Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 7:58pm

Wow, This post got 284 pages

How in the world.

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Jun 7, 2014, 8:47am

z0mbie Said:

Aeropress championships?  Eh I should not make fun of this considering some folks may take it very seriously.

Posted June 5, 2014 link

You can make fun of anything.  This world has some pretty ludicrous competitions, at least to those outside of that genre.

I too was amused at the thought of an Aeropress championship when I first heard about it.  But it is real, and some excellent coffee is made.  So, why not?

LMWDP # 010
showing page 284 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378951072693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+