Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 243 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jmush

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

I apologize if others have asked this, but I've had trouble googling the answer.

I use the Aeropress with the traditional method.  I'm concerned that too much water is dripping through the filter too quickly.  For example, if I am making a double-shot, if I pour in water to the 2-marker, after I stir for 10-12 seconds, the water level is already down to 1-marker.  Is that much water supposed to go through before I even get to using the plunger?  I understand this phenomenon is what led to the inverted method so that you can decide when to let the water drip through, but I'm only really interested in how the original method is supposed to work.  

My grind is a 5 on the Baratza Encore.
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 4:54pm

I don't know what 5 on the Baratza looks like, but I've never had too much drip through using fine grinds with the standard paper filter that Aerobie provides.  I generally only have a very slight drip through with a two-scoop double shot.  If you can grind finer, perhaps that's the next step to try.

But these days I'm using (very happily) the Kaffeologie S-filter metal mesh, and for that I have gotten used to using the inverted method. So my memory of using the paper filter might be hazy.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 8:12pm

jmush Said:

I use the Aeropress with the traditional method.  I'm concerned that too much water is dripping through the filter too quickly.  For example, if I am making a double-shot, if I pour in water to the 2-marker, after I stir for 10-12 seconds, the water level is already down to 1-marker.  Is that much water supposed to go through before I even get to using the plunger?  I understand this phenomenon is what led to the inverted method so that you can decide when to let the water drip through, but I'm only really interested in how the original method is supposed to work.  

Posted March 10, 2013 link

The original method should not be expected to work ideally the way Aerobie indicated in its instructions. They're idiosyncratic in their counsel to use far less water than ideal for the device. Bear in mind that Alan created a device that to his satisfaction mimicked espresso. It should not be necessary to allude to settled arguments that the Aeropress does not produce espresso, but having done so please refer to the prior sentence on its own merits. It's what Alan sought. And in order to create what I'll call strong coffee, he used less water than one would normally use to brew a typical cup of normal strength coffee. He saw this as a feature -- not a bug.

I see it as a bug, not a feature. Even for brewing over ice in the summer, the low volume of water Aerobie recommends per volume of grind is far less than necessary or ideal, IF someone is after a conventional cup of coffee. If you're wanting something concentrated to pour over ice cream -- sure, follow the instructions and hew to the little markets on the device.

The inverted method as used to deal with this entirely needless worry about flow-through during brewing is perverse. It's not solving a problem -- it's perpetuating one by lending credence to the use of such little water in the first place. Then, because too little water is used in the brewing, a "fix" is deemed necessary -- so people wring their hands and try all kinds of things. Inversion for that purpose is perverse, because you lose a full inch of extraction space in the tube for bloom with a sufficient amount of water. But that doesn't matter because folks "solving the problem" are using so little water anyway. Argh.

Inversion for purposes of getting coffee oils into the cup is great. Use paper, polyester, cloth, or anything else -- great idea. Inversion for solving flow-through issues is just buying into a brewing model for the Aeropress that never should have been set forth -- but there it is in the instructions, and of course people are going to defer to the manufacturer, who is presumed to best know the device.

And indeed, I believe Alan and Alex do know the device better than most of its owners. But what they haven't understood so well is the value of their contraption for brewing coffee with more conventional ratios of grind to water. You can't quite get to "conventional" with the small Aero, but the wonder of the device is that you don't need to. You just need to use far more water than the instructions recommend.

Try it. Start with double the water. You might find it's worth your while tripling the water. It depends entirely on your grind. It also depends on your technique. For a given grind, it's important that you can terminate the extraction with the press quickly, at will. If you use too much water and too fine a grind, that might not be a simple matter. But if you use that fine a grind, you're not likely to be incurring severe flow-through problems anyway. I'll infer your grind is little finer than drip. In that case, definitely use more water -- treble it. Or double it and go a  bit finer on the grind (but test with only one variable change at a time).

Bear in mind that with a finer grind (especially), the Aeropress extracts a LOT during the press -- not the stir and steep. Anyone not believing this should try this: after placing relatively fine grind in the Aero, drop a screen over the grind such that added water will not disturb the loose coffee in the bottom of the device. Press immediately. A puck will form that resists the press. Apply moderate pressure (Aerobie is right to counsel not doubling down on pressure), the press should complete within 20 seconds.

If your grind and technique are optimal, the result will be a perfect 20% extraction of arbitrary concentration (add water to constitute whatever you like). No stirring, no steep time.

Of course, if you use too little water, you'll have all kinds of reasons to complain about flow-through, waste of coffee, and so forth.

The Aero is an amazing device -- one that reality HAD to produce one day -- when its instructions are ignored and one's own knowledge of and experience with the brewing variables are consulted. It's not a Cessna. It's a hotrod sport plane. It's sensitive to how you vary variables and technique. Careless use will produce dreck, just as a careless flip of the wrist in a sport plane will be unpleasantly consequential -- the plane and the Aero are comparably responsive and sensitive.

My best guitar has pickups that I describe as merciless -- they reward good technique with good sound and punish bad technique by exposing my gaffes -- as if some priest shouted to the world what I might say in confession. The Aero is similar. The device both demands and rewards knowledge of brewing variables.

It's in desperate need of an edit and much superb commentary at CG has been set forth since the early days when I spent a lot of time on this, but I'll link to my original document on inversion, because it treats some of what I've said in further detail. I haven't been active in CG for some time, but on those occasions when I've dropped in (to check up on mischief certain to be afoot) I've been amazed at the expertise among the more active participants in recent years.

https://sites.google.com/site/scottmarqu ardt/invertedaeropressingforbettercoffee

Do NOT just post once here. Be active. You won't regret it. No way.  :-)
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 5:28am

Hi Scott, good to hear from you!

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 7:46am

paulbel Said:

But these days I'm using (very happily) the Kaffeologie S-filter metal mesh, and for that I have gotten used to using the inverted method. So my memory of using the paper filter might be hazy.

Posted March 10, 2013 link

I have also been using the Kaffeologie S-filter, but I find that it is difficult to use inverted. Even with a fine grind, I have a hard time controlling the water coming out of the top. Usually it comes out much too quickly. So I use the DISK for inversion. I haven't really used the paper filters for quite some time.

Vince
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:31am
Subject: ...

paulbel
paulbel

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:42am

When I was primarily making aeropress-version caffe lattes, I used the "correct" amount of water, and made up the rest of the cup in steamed milk. But now that I'm low carbing it, I used double or more water, and generally add a little more once it's in the cup.
slickfast

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 6:21pm

I'm on my second Aeropress after having my trusty first one stolen by someone at work (isn't that insane?!). Anyway, I've been Googling around for good ways to transport these brilliant little gadgets with their multiple pieces. Am I the only one that finds this a pain in the neck? What do you do about it?
Owl

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 8:03pm

slickfast Said:

I'm on my second Aeropress after having my trusty first one stolen by someone at work (isn't that insane?!). Anyway, I've been Googling around for good ways to transport these brilliant little gadgets with their multiple pieces. Am I the only one that finds this a pain in the neck? What do you do about it?

Posted March 18, 2013 link

slick, welcome to the club. Mine was stolen in 2008. At work. Insert appropriate expression of disgust here.
paulbel
paulbel

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 9:09pm

Maybe this suggests an advertising angle for Alan: "so cool your co-workers will steal it"
showing page 243 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366662025452)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+