Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hey everyone - need assistance purchasing drip and french press
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hey everyone -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
osiris3mc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 8:19am
Subject: Hey everyone - need assistance purchasing drip and french press

Hey everyone! I few months ago I stumbled upon this website while looking for a new coffee maker and realized I had no idea what was going on in the world of coffee - so I decided to upgrade my equipment. I of course started with a burr grinder y'all recommended - the Baratza Solis Maestro.

Now, I want to get a drip coffee maker and a french press. I remember everyone talking about the Technivorm coffee makers as being the best. I hope that's still the case, if not, what is? I went to boydscoffee.com to look at the Technivorm coffee makers, and there are quite a few out there. Is one particularly better than another? Or, do I just go with what looks the best? (haha, although none look all that good!) I remember talk of the moccamaster cd and the clubline kb741 - but since I'm spending the dough, I want to do it right!

With respect to the french press, is there one that's "better" than another? It's probably a silly question, but again, I'd like to do this the right way.

Thanks again to everyone. Last time I posted the griner question, people were so helpful! And oh yeah, I remember at that time people were trying that Presto coffee maker (the one that was like $30 and brewed at the right temp). Well, I ordered one from amazon, and it stunk, so I sent it back... :( Now I've finally decided to put up the $200 to get the real deal!

- Matt
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 8:51am
Subject: Re: Hey everyone - need assistance purchasing drip and french press

Matt,

In my opinion the Technivorms are still the best and there are only a few things you need to decide with the Technivorms:

1) Do you want a thermal carafe?  If yes, then you have a choice for question 2.

2) Do you want an 8-Cup or 10-Cup (Euro Standard = smaller)?  Hint ... choose 10.

3) Do you want the switch on the filter basket?

4) Which one do you like the looks of and in what color?

Once I found the Technivorms and ruled out the ones with the Thermal Carafes, it left me with two deciding factors since all of the Technivorms are of the same build / brewing quality on the inside.

1) Filter Basket
2) Looks

On the KB's the filter basket has a switch to adjust the rate of flow or shut it off.  Read this web page.  This is only important if you want to be able to "play" with the coffee while its brewing (like stirring, restricting flow rate, making smaller pots), but I have been able to accomplish all of that with the CD.  I can make smaller pots, I can stir the slurry, etc.  

Now for looks, I think the CD wins hands down, but that is personal preference.  The CD also goes quite well with the curves of my KitchenAid Proline Grinder especially since both are the "charcoal" color which helps when I as the husband am placing permanent visible fixtures in my wife's domain.  ;-)

Also, I wrote an extensive Consumer Review of the Technivorm Moccamaster CD here on CoffeeGeek that may be helpful with all of the other consumer reviews on the same; it includes measurements of temperature.

I do hope this is helpful.  Feel free to email me directly, but be sure to read my email address carefully.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 11:33am

French Press...what a great way to prepare coffee!

Most presses are basically the same and will produce quality coffee pretty much the same.  The differences with the more expensive models is that they typically use less glass and the filter assembly fits a little more securely to the sidewall.

One of the best brands for presses is Bodum.  As you can see from their site they offer a wide variety of styles and prices.

I love the Colombia line of insulated thermal presses.  The filter assembly is 3 pieces vs. the 5 of other models and the press is stainless steel so it won't break like glass.  It's also a beautiful looking press (call me vain) that will last a lifetime.  I also recommend the 12-cup version as you can still easily do 1/2 or less pots or make full pots for family and friends.  I have the 12-cup and love it, I think you will too.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
TomP10
TomP10

Espresso: LaSpaz S1
Grinder: mini E-B; Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama; balance brewer
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 12:15pm

osiris3mc Said:

With respect to the french press, is there one that's "better" than another? It's probably a silly question, but again, I'd like to do this the right way.

Posted November 9, 2006 link

I don't know if one design or company is the "best" as they all seem to be pretty similar to me.  But, I do have two thoughts

First, begin by reading Mark Prince's great "how to"  -- "How to Use a Press Pot"

Second, be sure to get a french press that is the appropriate size for what you plan on making... bigger is not necessarily better.  I have an Bodum 12 cup that I rarely use (just when we have company).  More practical is the 3-5 cup size.  Remember, the cup measure is something like 4oz.  A 3-cup is probably best if you mostly make just for yourself; a 5 cup is perfect for my wife and myself.

- Tom

---------------------------------------------
Three Musketeers?? Nah... Four M's.
 View Profile Link to this post
derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 8:29pm

Regarding press pots, one thing that differentiates them is the ease of cleaning and reassembling. And with glass pots, availability of replacement parts can be a factor. Bodums are fairly ubiquitous.

IMHO the ideal press pot is about 25% larger than the volume you want to drink. You'll want to have the lid on & plunger raised and also clear the "bloom" when the water hits the grounds. Plus, the coffee itself takes up some space.
osiris3mc

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 8:16am

Hey guys - thanks for the responses so far!

Looks like I'll be getting one of the Technivorms for a drip, and a Bodum for the French press.

For the French Press, if I typically make about 6-8 cups in a standard coffee maker, how much is that in milli-liters? I use a cuisinart right now, which I always thought was 6 ounces a cup? I'm thinking about getting a 1 liter size Bodum, but just want to make sure it's not too small.

Thanks again!
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
EddieDove
EddieDove

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 1:30pm

osiris3mc Said:

Hey guys - thanks for the responses so far!

Looks like I'll be getting one of the Technivorms for a drip, and a Bodum for the French press.

For the French Press, if I typically make about 6-8 cups in a standard coffee maker, how much is that in milli-liters? I use a cuisinart right now, which I always thought was 6 ounces a cup? I'm thinking about getting a 1 liter size Bodum, but just want to make sure it's not too small.

Thanks again!

Posted November 10, 2006 link

Both are great choices and 1 liter is equivalent to 1 quart. (~33.81 ounces).  Do enjoy!

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
terrenceobrien
terrenceobrien

Grinder: Bunn BCG
Drip: Bunn GR10B
Roaster: Wagner HT1000
Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 8:35pm

I broke my last FP and just today I purchased the 32oz Trudeau Tirra coffee press. You put the grounds into the bowl shaped filter and push it to the bottom, THEN pour the water in. After brewing, you pull the filter up and the grounds snap into the lid. It makes a nearly sludge-free cup of joe and the cleanup is much easier.
EddieDove
EddieDove

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 8:57pm

Terrence,

These look great!  Thanks for sharing; it may go on my Christmas List.  Make sure you post a Consumer Review here on CoffeeGeek.  You would be the first!

Respectfully,

Eddie
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hey everyone -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366965055466)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+