Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
zassenhaus grinders
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > zassenhaus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
rita

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: peugeot freres
Posted Mon Dec 4, 2006, 3:17pm
Subject: zassenhaus grinders

okay, so this is a long shot, but here i go:

so i'm stubbornly searching for a zassenhaus grinder. yes yes. they are not being exported etc, but i do have a small lead. i have a good friend living in bayern, germany and i'm willing to bribe him for one. does anyone happen to know where any retail locations may be in germany? thanks!!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DigMe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Mon Dec 4, 2006, 3:30pm
Subject: Re: zassenhaus grinders

Last I heard they went bankrupt and no one had had any for a long while.  If this is true then I wouldn't expect German sellers to have them either unless it's just old stock.  Good luck.  You could always pay a premium for a used one on Ebay or get one of the other brands that are supposedly doing a good job of filling Zass's shoes.

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
 View Profile Link to this post
derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Mon Dec 4, 2006, 10:20pm

Old grinders are hit-or-miss propositions. I've seen pretty good grinds come from some while others are very dull and/or misaligned, causing them to produce lots of fines and/or inconsistent grinds, respectively.

I've seen new Zass grinders on the shelves at various coffeeshops. None at the local shops I've visited here, alas.
CoffeeToolsAppJon
CoffeeToolsAppJon
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strada@work, BDB@home
Grinder: Robur, kony, touch, etc
Drip: v60, wave
Roaster: heart, coava, phil &...
Posted Mon Dec 4, 2006, 10:29pm

i have one .. and i have never gotten a shot to come out.

i might, MIGHT use it for camping if i had a moka pot and i went camping.

i put a cordless drill on it to make it grind faster, but it would not grind fine enough.

it is now a cool looking dust collector.

jon

=
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.coffeeToolsApp.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pmradio

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2006, 10:58pm

I just found out about Zassenhaus grinders and in trying to locate one, ran across a recommended dealer overseas.  I contacted him and like DigMe said, they are insolvent and in bankruptcy court.  He was going to check to see if there was any court-ordered sale, but I don't expect to hear anything back unless it's good news.

I too have been searching ebay and wondered about the "older" Zass's available.  There is a Canadian company that apparently may have stock, but they don't want to sell to the US.  I sent an inquiry just in case but got no response.

Any recommendations of which ones are really doing a good job of filling the gap?

pm
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 8:51am

There is another brand that is getting a lot of good word-of-mouth but I can't remember what it's called...something that starts with an L maybe.   Made in Eastern Europe.  I cannot speak from experience on those as I've never used them.  Also Armin Trosser gets a lot of good words too.  Mine hasn't shown to have the ability to grind for espresso but I think others have...I got it off of Ebay shipped for $12 though so no big loss!

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 8:54am

Sold by one of the Coffeegeek sponsors for the webite here, I've posted about it & others.., Lodos.

"Re: Hand coffee grinders"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pmradio

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 9:37am

First, thanks to both of you for the replies to a newbie to the community!

DigMe Said:

Armin Trosser gets a lot of good words too.  Mine hasn't shown to have the ability to grind for espresso but I think others have...I got it off of Ebay shipped for $12 though so no big loss!

Posted December 6, 2006 link

Now THAT's a great price!  I looked last night and the Trossers were running closer to $30 to $40 now.  

CraigA Said:

I've posted about it & others.., Lodos

Thanks for the links.  I'm reading through them now.  Right now, I have a whirlyblade at home for drip coffee.  Being on a tight budget, I'm thinking of moving to a manual grinder and a French press.  At work, we have a pro espresso machine which I am still learning to use so I may try to grind for that too.  I'm trying to expand my skills and coffee drinking on a budget...is that possible? :)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 9:53am

pmradio Said:

I'm trying to expand my skills and coffee drinking on a budget...is that possible? :)

Paul first off, Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {:-D

Yes, very possible! I recommend starting off with a French press & freshly roasted coffee.

Cheers!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pmradio

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2006, 10:05am

I have considered getting into fresh roasting.  A few weeks ago I stopped by a local thrift store but didn't see a promising popcorn popper.  I've got one at home but it has a tray at the top.  Would that still work?  If I do roast, does it ruin it for popcorn?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > zassenhaus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327289104462)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+