Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 48 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Need a bit of advice

Not to be a "judge of character" but it seems to me, Gatewood, you were already quite brave! ;-)

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Gate

Espresso: La Pavoni Romantica EPG-8
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: various
Drip: too many to recall
Roaster: Four FreshRoast+8's
Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Need a bit of advice

Aw, shucks. (blush) I'd love to accept that, Alexandre, but I'm convinced that bravery is something that is a choice, and my situation is such that I don't have a choice. But, I will accept that I'm tough. And so far, tougher than this disease.

The pot has been seasoned. I will know in the morning if my coffee has been tainted. At least, the pot doesn't smell bad any more.
 View Profile Link to this post
richedie

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 5:48pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Gate, I hope you get well soon.....sorry to hear your troubles my friend. We'll be thinking about you.

Your thoughts on cleaning had me eying up my Bialetti aluminum Moka pot with some baking soda or some cean-cafe coffee cleaner. Do all of you clean your moka pots periodically? I usually just clean them with water and wipe them out with a paper towel. However, sometimes they seem to need a real bath, with some coffee cleaner and maybe even some baking soda. I can't see how the dirtiness wouldn't effect the taste after while. The gasket in my aluminum pot is almost black! My mother in law works at a large coffe/kitched store in South Philly so she said she has plenty of spare gaskets. Maybe I'll pick one up.
psklenar
psklenar

Espresso: Gaggia Baby, 6c Moka, 2c...
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cory 8c stovetop
Drip: Bunn VP17, Chemex CM-3
Roaster: researching
Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 6:12pm

I hope this question is considered on topic <fingers crossed> ... I've read numerous comments in this monster thread, in other threads, and on other web sites that the 2 cup Brikka produces a superior cup to the 4 cup model.  Is it superior enough that folks would recommend not even bothering with the 4 cup model?

Thank you,
pat----
Gate

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 6:59pm

I may be the exception on this one, Pat. I hear that the two cup is better, but I have both, and they are the same. You just get more with the four cup! But I get the same amount of crema, everything. However, and this is a big however, I've not heard anybody else say this. Most everybody thinks the two cup is better. I ordered the two cup first, then got the four. I think I was just lucky.

Rich, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Gate
psklenar
psklenar

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 8:18pm

Gate,

Thank you very much for such a quick response.  I can't find either size Brikka locally and have only seen the 4 cup versions online.  I'll continue searching for a bit.  

I've made a lot of changes to my coffee options this week - Until this morning, my only way to fix coffee here at home was my Cuisinart Grind & Brew.  With fresh beans, it wasn't bad (MUCH better than my prior separate grinder & brewer), but I've been wanted better flavors here at home.   So .... my new Rocky grinder was delivered this evening.  As was an Aeropress.  And while I was out finishing my Christmas shopping today, I found a 6 cup Bialetti aluminum Moka for $19.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  AND I ordered a Chemex from SM last week that UPS Tracking indicates should be here tomorrow (Friday).

I need to learn what level to grind the beans to for each type of brewing.  I did two throw-away brews in the Moka this evening and am drinking my first home, non-drip brewed coffee ever.  Not bad, but a little more bitter than I expected.  Probably ground too fine.  Do the Moka & Brikka work with the same basic grind?  In other words, once I find what I like out of the Moka, should the same grind work for which ever Brikka I end up picking up?

Again, thanks!
pat----
Gate

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 8:30pm

I grind the same for both moka and brikka. I think you'll find your moka will be lots better later. I used three throw-aways and it improved much more after that. I just had it perfect when I fried it. Tomorrow it gets to go back into service, but I don't have a whole lot of hope for it.

If you want a two cup Brikka, order from Italy. Most of us did that. I think you'll have to experiment with all your pots and grinds, but I found I need to grind just a bit coarser for the aeropress than for the brikka. And coarser for the brikka than my espresso pot. I used to use a Cuisinart Grind and Brew, too, and thought it was fine until I got educated by these coffee geeks here. Can't stand to drink it now. Sad. I use it for house guests. :) They don't know the difference. You will have a wonderful time with all these options. It's a serious addiction, you know!
psklenar
psklenar

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2006, 8:50pm

Yep, I've known that for years. :)  Have ... sort of ... kept it under control until now.  I can imagine what my sister or my folks will say when they comer over to visit, finally see the new grinder and ask "how much". :o

I tried my first ever Aeropress after the first Moka pot.  Set the grinder for 40, had done the Moka at 30.  It tasted less bitter and more like some of the better Kona I've had.  Very rich.  Will have to try the Moka in the morning at the same grind.  I think with the right grind I'm going to like it a lot.

Italy, eh?  Hmmm ... well, I've ordered things from the UK, HK and Japan before.  Why not. :)

Thanks for the tip!
pat----
kbuzbee
kbuzbee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:54am

richedie Said:

I usually just clean them with water and wipe them out with a paper towel.

Posted December 21, 2006 link

That's all I do Rich. No cleaner or soap. But if you go more than a week without using it, I'd brew a "sink pot" first.

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Fri Dec 22, 2006, 11:15am

Same thing here, pretty much. In fact, as you probably realized from the pictures, my pots aren't very clean.
If you notice something that seems off, cleaning might be the solution. But cleaning doesn't improve the pot. Takes the seasoning away.
Speaking of which, has anybody seen reliable resources on seasoning, with some scientific background?

As for the 2cup/4cup thing, the main issue seems to be lack of crema on the 4cup. Those with 4cups seem to have pretty good luck with their Brikkas. Gatewood's the only one who has both, IIRC.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 48 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311097145081)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+