Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 49 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
psklenar
psklenar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby, 6c Moka, 2c...
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cory 8c stovetop
Drip: Bunn VP17, Chemex CM-3
Roaster: researching
Posted Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:32pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Enkerli Said:

... Those with 4cups seem to have pretty good luck with their Brikkas. Gatewood's the only one who has both, IIRC.

Posted December 22, 2006 link

Alexandre,

Thank you very much for the feedback.  And Gatewood's reported that in her opinion, they taste the same ... the 4-cup pot would definitely be far less expensive than having a 2-cup pot special ordered from overseas ... hmmmm ...

Again, Thanks!
pat----
 View Profile Link to this post
richedie

Posted Fri Dec 22, 2006, 6:27pm

I love my 4 cup Brikka and I get good crema depending on the bean. However, I feel the Brikka coffee has more bite and just has a different flavor profile than the Moka pot which seems more tame and rounded.

I just got a Gaggia espresso machine so a new door is opening, not to mention my Aeropress arrived today.
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Fri Dec 22, 2006, 8:26pm

Rich, do keep us posted on your new toys.

Pat, depending on where you live (CT, RI or Southern MA?) you might be able to find a Brikka locally. It might take some time and/or phone calls, but some stores do sell them. Even if you don't find it right away, asking about Brikka gets the word out. Which makes it easier to get spare parts and such, in the long run.
And it's often a good way to figure out who has a good attitude about coffee.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kramerica

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Nemox LUX Plus
Vac Pot: Brikka
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 8:55am
Subject: moka pot vs brikka cont.

a while back, i've asked about the differences between those, and the answers that i got in return made me buy a moka pot (that and the very cheap price) and try for myself. I'm using brikka for a while now, and yesterday was my first moka pot experience. i was shocked by the huge difference. i was expecting an espresso-like flavor (like i get with the brikka) but it is very different. The brikka is much closer in taste and feel to espresso than to moka. its a completely different beverage, and like you guys said its round and tamed compared to the brikka, closer to turkish coffee than to espresso.
Another coffee maker that caught my attention is the Aeropress. have anyone here tried it and can compare it to the moka and brikka?

www.sandak.org
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 9:09am
Subject: Re: moka pot vs brikka cont.

Yaron,

Thanks for the report! Very interesting results.
As it seems to be with all matters of perception (and inter-subjectivity), there are diverse conclusions people might draw. To those of us who went from moka and espresso to Brikka, the Brikka may seem like it's closer to Moka Express than to espresso. For you, going from Brikka and espresso to Brikka, the moka pot may seem much different from the other two. "I could see that."
Have you tried your Brikka, again? If so, do you notice some of the moka pot profile in the Brikka? There's this roundness that distinguishes it from espresso. Not that a well-balanced espresso isn't smooth and round in some sense. But there is that moka pot taste that some of us love and that is kind of difficult to explain.
Another thing with the moka pot is that you can experiment a lot with grind, water, etc. You may not get a Brikka-like cup but it will help you discover other features of the blends you use with the other methods.

As for AeroPress, I'm still looking forward to trying it. It'd be really neat if there were a local place selling it.
If you do try it, report on the differences.

Thanks again!

Alex
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kbuzbee
kbuzbee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 9:47am

Enkerli Said:

To those of us who went from moka and espresso to Brikka, the Brikka may seem like it's closer to Moka Express than to espresso.

Posted December 28, 2006 link

I fall into that group, for sure.

As to the Aeropress. It's different from either. We've had ours for a while. It was bought for (and used exclusively for) travel. It excels at travel. The thing I love about the Aeropress is how flexible it is. I can use any grind any brew time and any amount of coffee and it does a great job. I'm not saying the results are the same, of course, they vary exactly as you would expect but few brewing methods allow you this much flexibility.

Taste - It isn't espresso, moka or Brikka... it's characture is completely up to you. Add lots of fine ground coffee and the flavor/body are quite intense. Intense enough for this LaPavoni user to be happy with it for a couple weeks. OTOH - Use very little med ground coffee and I get a lightly flavored cup suitable for my wife's taste. Before this I was never able to find one brewing method we both enjoyed (let alone in a small lightweight plastic unit that easily goes anywhere). It will take some experimentation but you will find a way to brew you enjoy. Once you learn your way around it, you can vary it to your mood at the moment. Don't let anyone tell you there is a "right" way to make Aeropress coffee. More than any other method, the "right" way is the way you like it best.

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kramerica

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:32am

Thanks Alexandre for your remarks...
Immediately after reading your post i've rushed to the kitchen and made myself a brikka cup. I can clearly understand what moka profile you are talking about, and i feel it the most in the after-taste. Actually, i had today moka in the morning, espresso at work (part-time job as a barista)  and brikka now, and i really enjoy feeling the subtle differences in each type of coffee.
I really want to try the Aeropress, but i guess its only available in the US....

www.sandak.org
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:28am
Subject: AeroPress (was: moka pot vs brikka cont.)

Yaron,

Aerobie sells its 'Press internationally, but nowhere in Southwest Asia, unfortunately.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_intl_retailers.htm
Ken's description really sells it, to me. Sounds like the AP come close to my experimental philosophy! ;-)
Actually, because the manufacturing seems simple enough, we might hope to see AP-like devices cropping up, one day. Although, Adler may make it hard for others to develop improved versions of the same type of device. He seems like he might balk at any "inappropriate" uses of "his" brewing method. Fortunately, he patented the design instead of copyrighting it (like some lawyer did with home roasting machines) so there should be "generic" AeroPress-like coffee presses before long...

Alex
kbuzbee
kbuzbee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:52am
Subject: Re: AeroPress (was: moka pot vs brikka cont.)

Enkerli Said:

Sounds like the AP come close to my experimental philosophy! ;-)

I thought that as well.... Can't wait to hear how it works for you.

Enkerli Said:

Actually, because the manufacturing seems simple enough, we might hope to see AP-like devices cropping up, one day.

I don't really understand why this matters to you. The AP is a very functional device at a reasonable cost that does everything it says it will. Adler designed and marketed it. To me, he is entitled to benefit from this. If someone wants an AP they should buy one. Not wait for the $1.99 el-cheapo model. If there are improvements they need, they could ask him to make them. If someone brings these improvements to market first, that is his loss.

With all copyrighted/patented inventions I feel exactly the same way.... If someone can provide a significant improvement to a C/P invention, that's great. If the original holder is charging _userous_ prices for an invention and someone can provide some cost pressure, that's okay I suppose. What I can't stand is someone coming in and offering low cost "knockoffs" made out of cheap materials by low cost labor and killing the market for the original holder - who was acting in good faith and doing a good job. This is becoming way too common these days. People with absolutely no spark of creativity make a living by finding a way to undercut the competition with cheap, inferior products. It kills initiative and generally lowers the standard of life across the board.

<<FLAME OFF>>

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kramerica

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: AeroPress

Enkerli Said:

Yaron,

Aerobie sells its 'Press internationally, but nowhere in Southwest Asia, unfortunately.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_intl_retailers.htm
Ken's description really sells it, to me. Sounds like the AP come close to my experimental philosophy! ;-)
Actually, because the manufacturing seems simple enough, we might hope to see AP-like devices cropping up, one day. Although, Adler may make it hard for others to develop improved versions of the same type of device. He seems like he might balk at any "inappropriate" uses of "his" brewing method. Fortunately, he patented the design instead of copyrighting it (like some lawyer did with home roasting machines) so there should be "generic" AeroPress-like coffee presses before long...

thanks
actually, i'm glad it sells at europe. it means that i will be able to get it here pretty easily, just need to avert some retailers attention to this product or ask someone that will be there in the near future to get it for me. Ironically (and sadly), Southwest Asia wouldn't help me as much as a result of the relations we have with our neighbours..... thank you again, i'm gonna start checking it out, and hopefully report soon with the results.

EDIT: sooner than i thought... i can get it but slightly expensive, around 50$.

www.sandak.org
showing page 49 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355054140091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+