Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bad Technivorm Moccamaster CD
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bad Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mercury3

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2007, 8:08am
Subject: Bad Technivorm Moccamaster CD

Sad to report that the Technivorm Moccamaster CD my wife got me for Christmas is defective.  Water slowly leaks down through the electric heating chamber under the water tank.  I'd estimate approx. 1/8th cup water leaking right from the inside where the electricity is.  Produce's a good size puddle on the counter.

I think Sweet Marias is going to replace it for me right away.  (got an email from Derek)

It does produce very good coffee so for sure I want another one.
 View Profile Link to this post
heyduke
heyduke

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: Technovrm KTBS
Roaster: Heat Gun & Dog Bowl
Posted Wed Jan 3, 2007, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: Bad Technivorm Moccamaster CD

Sorry to hear about your TV. Even A Rolls Royce gets a lemon once in awhile.
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Wed Jan 3, 2007, 7:51pm

Derek is a great guy, just as everyone at Sweet Maria's are great folks.  If Derek said he would take care of it, he will even though they are swamped right now.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
walls1500
walls1500

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast 2
Posted Wed Jan 3, 2007, 8:27pm

The good news is that your wife GOT a TV Moccamaster for you!  Once you get your replacement unit, you'll be happy as a clam.  Congrats and happy brewing!

Jeff
Mercury3

Posted Thu Jan 4, 2007, 7:09am

I broke out the Krups Pro Aroma this morning so I could pack up the TV.

Wow huge difference even with my special technique for getting a better cup out of the Krups.

The Technivorm turly produces an excellent cup of coffee.  I should have sprung for one of these a long time ago.
Bob259
Bob259

Grinder: Rocky Doserless, retired...
Drip: Technivorm KBT 741
Roaster: Wish list- RK Roaster or a...
Posted Thu Jan 4, 2007, 7:46am

Mercury3 Said:

I broke out the Krups Pro Aroma this morning so I could pack up the TV.

Wow huge difference even with my special technique for getting a better cup out of the Krups.

The Technivorm turly produces an excellent cup of coffee.  I should have sprung for one of these a long time ago.

Posted January 4, 2007 link

I can't agree more... between my TV and my Rocky Doserless I too am now happy with my home brew.
Mercury3

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 7:22am

I'm bumping this thread because now my replacment Moccamaster CD (which SweetMaria's replaced for me back in January) is leaking exactly the same as the first one.

That's two out of two.  Not sure what I'll do this time but I think they have a serious quality flaw.

The unit holds somewhere between 1/8th to 1/4th cup of water down in the tubing after brewing which slowly leaks out later during the day hours after making the pot of coffee.

The only difference between this one and the first one is it was fine for the first three months.  Now leaking.

It's a shame because it makes such good coffee.
varuscelli_II
varuscelli_II

Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 9:37am

Sadly (but realistically), this sort of thing is not uncommon in manufacturing.  One possibility is that someone got repeatedly sloppy in the manufacturing process (didn't tighten some fitting to specifications in a series of machines) or installed a series of bad parts (for instance, gaskets) in series of machines.  There could have been a handful or even hundreds of the same units affected and your vendor might have received several affected machines.  (Again, that's one possible scenario.)  I'd sure check back with the vendor and be sure to mention that this is the second machine with the same problem.  

I had something similar happen with an automobile part a while back.  The vehicle had to be taken in three times for replacement of the same part and in the end it turned out that every one of the similar replacement parts that the installer had was bad.  It was just my bad fortune at the time that I needed that part for my vehicle and no one had discovered the problem before my vehicle needed the work.  They had received an entire bad batch from the manufacturer and as soon as they reordered a new batch, all was well.  But that kind of thing can happen.  Ah, well...  ;-)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2007, 9:48am

It may be something as simple as a spring clamp not affixed properly: http://home.howstuffworks.com/coffee-maker1.htm

P.S. Al, if ya don't mind me askin', what part was it please?

CraigA: Spring clamp.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bad Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285408973694)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+