Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold brewing coffee, unexpected benefits
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KillerQ
KillerQ
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity 565
Drip: Manual Cone Drip
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 3:57pm
Subject: Re: Cold brewing coffee, unexpected benefits

6 cups of coffee to 9 cups of water

va

10oz of coffee to 5.5 cups of water.

Seems like a HUGE difference in coffee, but relatively the same amount of water...  or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Matt!
 View Profile Link to this post
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 4:10pm

KillerQ Said:

6 cups of coffee to 9 cups of water

va

10oz of coffee to 5.5 cups of water.

Seems like a HUGE difference in coffee, but relatively the same amount of water...  or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Matt!

Posted August 12, 2008 link

in the first example, 6 cups was the volume produced by 1 lb of coffee.
This equals 4.5 oz of water per oz (by weight) of coffee.

I'd assume that the "10 oz" in the second example is 10 oz by weight, not liquid measurement.
This equals 4.4 oz of water per oz (by weight) of coffee.

I wouldn't call it a huge difference.
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 4:42pm

Ahh...

As I suspected.  Just checking :o)

Thanks,

Matt!
Jan_H

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 6:52pm

You probably got a 6-cup measure on your coffee because of the grind. Measurements will vary depending on size of grind. A medium grind (percolator or one step up from drip) comes in at about 5 1/4 cups per pound. Most of the cold-brew calculations are based on ounce to ounces and are roughly 4:1 water to coffee. But I've also seen them vary from 3:1 to 5:1, it depends on the coffee and your taste.
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 9:29pm

Jan_H,

I used just shy of 1 cup of ground coffee and put it in a glass pitcher with a little over 3 cups of room temperature water (I don't have a French press as of yet).  I let it sit for 12 hours on the kitchen table, then I filtered off the grounds (more on that below).  However, it was a very weak brew.  I had to use about 1:3 coffee to water, but it wasn't a very rich, whole coffee flavor; then it was all washed away as soon as I added a little milk.  I threw in another part of coffee, bringing the mixture to 2:3, but it still tasted weird--strong but not rich.  I had to add a little Stirling Irish Cream to balance it out.  Did I do something wrong (no wise cracks about the Irish Cream, ha)?

I filtered the coffee into a glass jar using my AeroPress and a fine screen/funnel commonly used here in Taiwan for filtering tea leaves from tea.  First, I put the AeroPress funnel into the top of the jar, then I assembled the AeroPress normally and put it into its funnel (the two are made to fit together perfectly--Alan put a lot of thought into designing this thing).  I put the tea screen into the top of the AeroPress and filtered the bulk of the coffee grounds into the AeroPress chamber through that.  I used a chopstick to agitate the grounds in the tea screen to prevent clogging, but I had to dump it several times (more often as I reached the bottom of the mixture).  When the AeroPress chamber got full, I pressed as I normally would when making a cup of AeroPress coffee (be careful: since there are not many grounds, there is a bit of blow-by at the sides when it is almost fully pressed, so go slower as you reach the bottom).  You would not believe the sludge that the AeroPress filtered out.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have for improving my cold brew, be it correcting my method or offering an alternate method.
KCMOKen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: La San Marco SM90, Baratza...
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 6:32am

After reading this post a couple of months back, I thought the same things about the French Press - why wouldn't it work.  After trying it several times, using the same ratio of water/coffee as my French Press simply isn't large enough to load a pound of coffee into, I have to say it works well.

I prefer this for cold coffee drinks though, when warm it just isn't coffee.  However for iced coffee or an iced milk drink, it really can't be beat.  And since it is summertime, I seem to be using this technique more often.

I have also had good luck with travelling with the extract, getting good coffee on the road has been near impossible since I started roasting my own.
illinigirl

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 6:40am

try brewing longer (18 hours or even up to 24 hours), and use less water:coffee ratio.  It should taste very smooth but not weak in any way.

Even with the given that 1lb = 5.25 cups coffee, that's less than a 2:1 water coffee ratio (at least per the filtron instructions).  I've tasted filtron coffee from this method (although I don't own a filtron myself).  And the coffee that I made with the 10 oz (by volume) batch with 5.5 Cups water tasted about the same to me as the filtron coffee that I tasted made with the 1lb coffee to 9Cups water ratio.
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 7:10am

illinigirl Said:

For me I like the idea of using the cheaper beans because I personally think that this cold brewing method sort of 'evens out' the differences in quality among beans because of the way I serve up my concentrate (trying to duplicate an iced coffee from a coffee house with a little milk and vanilla syrup and lots of ice).

Posted August 12, 2008 link

If you are adding syrup then I'm sure any coffee will do as you won't really taste the coffee. If you're making a traditional Iced Coffee then a good quality coffee makes a big difference in taste. I've tried 4 different coffee blends since I got the Toddy in June & the flavor dropped off noticeably when I cheaped out. I just got in some of Intelligentsia's El Diablo dark roast for the Toddy & I'm expecting a nice chocolate flavor (among others) to come through in the I/C. So far the best tasting I/C came from using Peet's Major Dickason's blend but I think the E/D will beat it.

Try cold brewing with a high quality, fresh roasted blend & you won't need to add syrup to your I/C.

John
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 7:32am

For those who have had this iced coffee method come out well: Would you say that the flavor is more akin to an typical North American drip machine, a French press, or an AeroPress (all brewed using their standard brewing methods)?  I haven't played around with many other methods, so those are the three I have for comparison.
KillerQ
KillerQ

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 7:22pm

I would equate it to a cold version of -- well, any mellow, quality coffee brew....  So, i'll say drip.  Although, it's hard to compare it to one of the three....
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310069084167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+